Thread: How long to use T5 with seedlings in cupboard before switching to 600w HPS in tent?

Thanks

Default How long to use T5 with seedlings in cupboard before switching to 600w HPS in tent?

Hey guys & gals,

Not exactly new to growing, I have had a few successful harvests many years back but if I am honest I have smoked so much in the meantime I may as well be a complete novice again from what I remember so thought this would be the correct section for this post.

I have most of the bits I need, however I am looking to buy a new tent & the old 1 will be going down the dump, also am slightly considering to change lights & go down the LED route but think this could be taking a step backwards for an increased cost.

Anyway enough of me waffling on, the reason for this thread is to find out some info about the use of T5 grow lights. I have a brand new one I never got round to using & am planning to get underway with this for now in a cupboard, whilst I do some research & sort out a new tent.

So my question really is all in the title, I am just looking to know how long it will be ok for me to use the T5 lights in a cupboard without extraction etc, until I need to get them in their proper setup in the tent & most likely under the 600w HPS.

Any tips or suggestions in regards to this light will be greatly appreciated, as I say 1st time to ever use one, but I believe the best option for seedlings?

Thanks, FrostieNugs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FrostieNugs For This Useful Post:

Glynne (16-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,551 Times

I used a 4' 2 tube one for 3 months without extraction, just a circulation fan but out of necessity than choice.

I'd wait until you have 4 or 5 nodes and some good roots before firing up the 600. It's a bit of a waste of money on seedlings and a T5 does a great job. As long as it's nice and close you'll have a good structure and a root system capable of drinking well
    Too weird to live, too rare to die

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cunning For This Useful Post:

BB (16-02-17), FrostieNugs (16-02-17), Glynne (16-02-17), Samwise Gamgee (16-02-17), tlh2496 (16-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,171 Times

I have used my T5 for 2 months before lol, with some cuttings

Great light really cant fault it for the watts it uses, anything over 400w in veg is waste tbh, I generally dont go over 375w until flower

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

FrostieNugs (16-02-17)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies,

So you are saying it's as good to use for the whole veg stage basically? or would I be better off with a 600w dual spectrum bulb after say 3/4weeks? Will I still get good growth with just the T5 for that long? I will dig it out of the garage today & take a look which one I have.

I am sure in the past (been a while, lol) I have only vegged for 5/6 weeks & still grown some monsters! Back then I used a 250w CFL for the start of veg, then straight under a 250hps/600hps.

Looking forward to smoking something decent again (you couldn't even imagine how bad I am getting it recent, such a disgrace to the plant for it's flowers to be so bad) without the need to spend £1k+ in Amsterdam & it's not so easy to take holidays these days.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FrostieNugs For This Useful Post:

Cunning (17-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,551 Times

I would use the T5 just for the seedling stage, until you get 4 or 5 nodes then switch to HPS.

After you switch the growth will be much faster and leaves much bigger but it's easy to burn seedlings under HID lights and they don't need all that light anyway whilst they're tiny

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cunning For This Useful Post:

FrostieNugs (17-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cunning View Post
    I would use the T5 just for the seedling stage, until you get 4 or 5 nodes then switch to HPS.

After you switch the growth will be much faster and leaves much bigger but it's easy to burn seedlings under HID lights and they don't need all that light anyway whilst they're tiny
    Sounds like a plan, thanks for the advice

Have a few more issues that have come up, so I shall find the relevant section & get another thread open.

Thanks

I use either a t5 or cfl for two weeks after sprout in my rooting pots then I repot and put my 600 on.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk