Thread: Is 630w de CMH too intense for 6ft ceilings?

Thanks

Default Is 630w de CMH too intense for 6ft ceilings?

I'm setting up my first inside grow. Moved to Fairbanks and the sun is tricky here. I want to put my money into something versitile. I was thinking of going with 1000w de ballast turned down to 600 and running 630 de cmh. Then when I need supplemental lighting in my green house in the fall I could use 1000 de HPS and use the same equipment. DE HPS seem to be too hot for 6ft ceilings possibly even at 600w. So I was thinking CMH since they won't be as hot. I was wondering if even though its cooler would the light be too intense with only 6ft ceilings and cause bleaching? Any other idea for this application? I want to put my money into something that would also be optimal when I get a better spot with more head room.

Thanks

A 600w would be fine with a 6ft ceiling no probs as long as you've good ventalation and your veg time and wether you top your plants you can do if you have worries. I use a 600 in a tent which is 5ft tall , veg for 1 month no problem, there's many things you can do if your worried! ie veg time,topping,lst ing,scrog but I wouldn't worry!!

Viz Guest

I use Phillips 315W CDM lighting and my grow space is not as tall as yours. No problems with those lights - the trick is to ween your plants onto them. So I start real high at first (seedlings) and let them grow up to the light. Once the plants are mature you can lower the light to within 24 inches if you like.

I did not really understand your post completely, not enough coffee in me yet. You are going to be running how many lights in total? 1 x 1000w and ?? x 315w CDM lamps? Think you are going to have way to many lights - 1 CDM will comfortably do a 1.2 x 1.2 area with four to six plants. I was fortunate to get very good results with 2 x Auto and 4 x Photo period girls in the tent at the same time.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,700 Times

I think the OP was thinking he can run CMH lamps in a HPS ballast, which he cant.
    I would say the 1000w DE gavita may be too hot for a 6 ft ceiling. Most users of these seem to have high ceilings or 2.2m high .Gorilla tents from what ive seen

Thanks

I was told that Solis tek matrix ballast dimmed down to 600 would run growers choice 630w de bulb. I have a 12x18 ft room and was thinking 4 lights. With my plant limit here in Ak which is 24.