Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First set of leaves crisping

Thanks

Default First set of leaves crisping

This is my first ever weed grow and I'm not sure what it is. I'll explain a little if it helps.
    The plant is exactly 21 days from when it popped it's head.
    2 weeks ago I transplanted and the first set of true leaves curled right under over a 2 day period, it took 4 days for it to start growing again but those leaves never recovered.

Temp ranges from 22-28 over a 24hr period.
    I'm not sure what the RH is so in case that's the issue, I just added a small container of water near my heat source.
    I can't measure EC, I'm using none salt base nutes so my meter can't read it.
    Used my API water test kit and the nutes did test a little high so I did a 50% water change just in case.
    I have had nute burn in the past with different types of plants but it always started on the tips, this looks like its around the entire leaf.
    PH is 6.3
    Mars300 about 12" away.
    It's bag seed, I have no info on it.

Here is a pic. So far it's only the bottom wilted leaves.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170218_072357.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	340572

I'm not sure if this is an early sign of something or it's normal since those leaves didn't look good anyway.
    Other than that, the plant seems to be growing fine.

Here it is 3 days ago

Name:	18 Days Old 02-15-2017.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	340574

Here it is today. It's definitely still growing.

Name:	21 Days Old 02-18-2017.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	340575

All the other leaves are perky and I'm getting a lot of white root growth, no brown roots at all.
    I think the purple is from temp swings, it has been like that from day 1.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

you in dwc then?
    am pretty sure the ec can be read of the feed regardless of the "none salt nutes" what nutes are you running/feeding them at min?
    that kinda colour comes from alot lower temps then 22 buddy.
    looks like a slight ph issue goin on. what you using to read ph? you need better humidity mate aswel

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

British green (18-02-17), Trex (18-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Definate ph issue causing it to lock out nutrients , whats your ph ?

Sme rocks like that can send ph sky high alkaline or very low acidic .

If you dont have a ph meter ,you can bail yourself out with quality ph strips from a.pool or gsrden center , not entirely axcurate but can give us an idea

Next time use hydroton clay balls ,their ph is neutral if let.soaked a few days in ph'd water 😉

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (18-02-17)

Thanks

Yea dwc. The temps are fairly consistent. I have my tent hooked up to my forced air heat but reduced so it doesn't get too hot.
    I have wireless thermostat sitting next to the plant, unless the thermostat is off, temps seem consistent.
    I just picked up a digital thermo plug so I can remove the forced air incase that's drying things out and add a small space heater to keep the temps better.
    I know I need better humidity, i'll either pick something up or use the wife little room humidifier.

You think my issue could be ph? I use both an api chem and a meter to test ph.
    The nutes are homemade. I've grown a variety of plants using it in dwc and rdwc, just never weed.
    I usually never need to change the ph since the nitrifying bacteria do it for me but the solution is too strong for one plant, so I just add some to my dwc bucket in small amounts.

I'm just experimenting, if the plant fails, I'll try another way.

@Trex
    ph is 6.3. Should it be lower? I read anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5 is good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JustaNoOb View Post
    Yea dwc. The temps are fairly consistent. I have my tent hooked up to my forced air heat but reduced so it doesn't get too hot.
    I have wireless thermostat sitting next to the plant, unless the thermostat is off, temps seem consistent.
    I just picked up a digital thermo plug so I can remove the forced air incase that's drying things out and add a small space heater to keep the temps better.
    I know I need better humidity, i'll either pick something up or use the wife little room humidifier.

You think my issue could be ph? I use both an api chem and a meter to test ph.
    The nutes are homemade. I've grown a variety of plants using it in dwc and rdwc, just never weed.
    I usually never need to change the ph since the nitrifying bacteria do it for me but the solution is too strong for one plant, so I just add some to my dwc bucket in small amounts.

I'm just experimenting, if the plant fails, I'll try another way.

@Trek
    ph is 6.3. Should it be lower? I read anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5 is good.
    Ph should be 5.8 cover the rockwool , what type of lights ? Hav you started feeding yet ?

Thanks

Ohh ive tried dwc with compost teas ,kelp meal teas . Never worked , basically had same problems with my lettuce .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'll go lower the ph to 5.8 and cover the rockwool. I've never used rockwool before. I usually start my plants in a mini rdwc using perlite but on a timer, then transplant to a slightly bigger system.
    Yea I'm feeding. My tea doesn't use sugar and my last tea was brewed for 12month.
    This brew is only 2 months.
    Heres a jar of it, it stays clean but strong.

Name:	20170216_174355.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	340576
    You've never had a successful grow with it?
    I haven't really read any success stories either, but I like experimenting so I'm gonna try anyway.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JustaNoOb For This Useful Post:

Trex (18-02-17)

Thanks

The microbes connot survive long under water , thsts why im researching aquaponics .

My teas makes awesome fucking soil grows though and are almost black in colour .

This is just a quick 1/4 batch i made the other day

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

organics an dwc just sounds like a nightmare waitin to happen

14. The Following User Says Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Trex (18-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joker_the_smoker View Post
    organics an dwc just sounds like a nightmare waitin to happen
    Yes . A small tea bag in there can be beneficial in a 5 gallon x 3-4 reservoir setup ,but no more . Trust me , earth microbes cannot survive beijg sumbmerged for more then 36 hrs with air . My 3 test runs failed

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast