Thread: Novice chef looking for advice.

Thanks

Default Novice chef looking for advice.

Hi all, I'm about to venture into the world of edibles and I am making my own cannabutter to cook with. The process of making it seems pretty straight forward its how much to use once it's made which is the question. I'm making my butter this evening using half oz of cheese to 226g (2 sticks) unsalted butter. Now if my math is correct 14g = 14,000mg assuming thc content is 15% that will yield 2100mg of thc into my 226g of butter. I have read that a dose of 5mg is a good starting point so this would suggest I could achieve 420 servings from my one batch of butter. So again if my math is correct 420 servings of 226g is just over 0.5g so 0.5g of butter should yield a 5mg serving of thc?? The brownie recipe I am going to use yields 20 servings and needs 250g unsalted butter, I only need 100mg of thc to give me my 5mg per portion which results in only just over 10g of butter, so do I just use 10g of cannabutter and 240g of ordinary butter to achieve the 250g needed for the recipe. Any help would be great thanks in advance.

Shane.

My House made of Hash. Huff and puff and I might let you in.
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,375 Times

Maths overload lol. There are loads of variables that will effect your end product.

You also can't assume thc content as it depends how it was grown.

To get 420 helpings from half oz is fairly ambitious dude. Maybe 50 doses but I can't see 5mg being right. That's like a toke on a joint surely?

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
    Cheers Dru!!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greengiant For This Useful Post:

M_C (07-03-17), Shano_uk (11-03-17)

Thanks

Yea it's very tricky to get dosing right as there are A lot of unknowns. I read average thc content for cheese was around 15% so that's what I went with. I read that in the states 10mg is standard dosage of their edibles and 5mg was good starting point for beginners. Ultimately it depends how much thc you have in your final product and what thc serving size you want, if you have 1000mg you can get 100 10mg servings technically of course but like you say it's near impossible to accurately measure how much you have. My first batch didn't turn out so good as I had the oven way to hot when decarbing, had it at 240c and not 240f so pretty much ruined the whole lot. Will try again after pay day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Shano_uk View Post
    Hi all, I'm about to venture into the world of edibles and I am making my own cannabutter to cook with. The process of making it seems pretty straight forward its how much to use once it's made which is the question. I'm making my butter this evening using half oz of cheese to 226g (2 sticks) unsalted butter. Now if my math is correct 14g = 14,000mg assuming thc content is 15% that will yield 2100mg of thc into my 226g of butter. I have read that a dose of 5mg is a good starting point so this would suggest I could achieve 420 servings from my one batch of butter. So again if my math is correct 420 servings of 226g is just over 0.5g so 0.5g of butter should yield a 5mg serving of thc?? The brownie recipe I am going to use yields 20 servings and needs 250g unsalted butter, I only need 100mg of thc to give me my 5mg per portion which results in only just over 10g of butter, so do I just use 10g of cannabutter and 240g of ordinary butter to achieve the 250g needed for the recipe. Any help would be great thanks in advance.

Shane.
    Speak with Dexter McPherson or go find his posts full of very useful information

sent from mission control

6. The Following User Says Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

Shano_uk (11-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,536 Times

Personally I would do 1 gram of weed per edible serving. I have no idea how that fits in with your thc maths but it's enough weed to get me stoned so I figure its enough to put in a serving of something consumable. That way I would say take your brownie recipe and then divide it into 14 equal portions, at whatever size they happen to be. That way no need to mix with regular butter doing it this way too.
    Last edited by nom; 14-05-17 at 11:11 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nom For This Useful Post:

CloneBonerStallone (15-05-17)