Thread: Growing in a small bedroom

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,426 Times

Default Growing in a small bedroom

Hello everyone. I've got a bit of a dilemma. My tent doesnt quite fit in the new location. Its 2m x 1m and the room is only 1.8m. I could probably get it up by shortening the poles but it will end up all saggy and pants. Its pretty old anyhow and looks like the universe in a dark room.

So I had an idea of covering three walls with white plastic sheeting and half of the floor to turn half of the small room into a growing area a bit smaller than the tent was.

Shorten the poles on the tent to make it fit and use the bare frame to hang the lights and extraction off.

Board up the small window and use it as a passive intake to the room with a 4" duct and cut a hole in the door to extract out of the room into the hall with the door shut creating a sealed room.

My concern is smells leaking into the loft. As sometimes when I am in the loft I can smell the neighbours dinner cooking. So I dont want them smelling my plants. Will the plasterboard ceiling be enough to stop smells leaking into the loft. Surely with enough extraction from the room into the hall any small crack in the ceiling will be pulling air into the room from the loft? Right?

Just worried with hot air rising the loft will end up stinking.

Ive got a big extraction set up dialled right down with a variac controller so increasing extraction from the room is no big issue. Just wondering if covering the ceiling some how would be beneficial

Only ever used tents before so not sure how effective a carbon filter is just in a sealed bedroom basically.

Also I've noticed in the loft there is a couple of bricks missing where you can see into the neighbours loft so was going to seal them up and the roof awning between buildings with expanding foam, just to minimise smells drifting between lofts?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

BM

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BudMan For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-02-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,426 Times

My thinking is if the extraction is strong enough it shouldnt matter if any cracks are in the ceiling. My main worry is the fans slowing down lights off and not being enough to control the odour. But if that was the case it would probably stink outside the tent too?

Just with the room being a bit bigger than the tent but I could always run the fans a bit faster.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BudMan For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-02-17)

Thanks

I had the same problem with my tent and loft beams. I used a pipe cutter and shortened the height and tied the baggy excess to the beams it works quite well. Then realised you can buy an apex tent lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hushkush For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-02-17)

My House made of Hash. Huff and puff and I might let you in.
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,375 Times

If you create negative pressure by having a fan sucking air from the room then odour won't be a problem.

Could be lights out (fan off) depending on how the air flows through and around your house.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
    Cheers Dru!!!

Thanks

I had a friend with a similar problem where his tent was too tall. He cut the pipes and used welding clamps (basically a strong clothing peg) to hold the excess material in place after he folded it. The tent kept its shape for the whole grow and worked fine. As said above as long as you retain negative pressure smell should be ok, if you have a spare fan and filter maybe you could use it as well as your extraction just to clean the air in the room to be on the safe side?

Thanks

I would cut the poles and as mentioned peg the excess material from the tent. I always panic about growing in just a room with no tent as the tent just contains everything so well.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,224 Times

Keep the out fan on at all times and always keep negative pressure in the tent and you'll never smell a thing. If it's noise that's the issue for turning it off you might want to get a duct silencer and insulated ducting can reduce the noise a fair bit.

Just keep the out fan running the same at lights off as it does during lights on... No need to turn it down.