Thread: Help identifying a rescue plant!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,704 Times

Default Help identifying a rescue plant!

Hello guys, pictures are below, I rescued this plant, it was in a tiny tiny pot in a disused office at work with no window I watered it before we broke up and then came back and monitored it through January and begging of Feb and nobody tended to it so I stole it 2 weeks ago 😎🙊

Anyways I've put it into a large fabric pot, I think it's over kill but it's all I had. And it seems to be peeking up, the new growth in the photo has now opened out into its own baby leaf and stalk for the next section of the plant (I'll get a pic of that up tonight)

Anyway enough of me rambling I need you guys expertise in identifying this plant so I can read about how to actually help it, also as I have been reading all the plants it's similar to i.e. Elephants ear and caladium plant are all poisonous, now this isn't an issue (I don't have small children or pets) but if it is poisonous obviously I'd like to know so I can take care when handling it .

But yeah I just want to know what it is so I can get it in it's optimum growing conditions and get it nice and healthy there's no point stealing it if it's still just going to die at my house instead 🙈.

Laymans Description
    Leggy plant with large heart/teardrop shaped leaves. Very glossy and shiny, green on top and red on bottom with darker red veins. The stems are very watery if you know what I mean, like they're hollow and would snap rather than be bent around, even the new growth is like it, it has small hairs on the stalks and the leaf stems. It ha no odour really and seems to grow straight up, I can't see how it would branch as it makes like a bud then out of that bud comes a leaf and a bud for the next section and it seems to zig zag up, I don't know if it flowers but again it doesn't look like it could grow flowers due to the way it seems to grow, it can't support its own weight so I've got a tether round my tv stand haha XD

Anyways cheers for looking guys and thank you in advance for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WADDIS For This Useful Post:

FunkyB (22-03-17), M_C (22-03-17)

Thanks

It's a Begonia...

Elephant Ear Begonia.( Begonia haageana) according to my very informative Houseplant Expert by D.G.Hessayon.
    Thoroughly recommend that book.

I rescue houseplants as a hobby and it is very rewarding seeing a plant thriving after a repot in good soil,a bigger pot and a bit of lurve....

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zolabud For This Useful Post:

FunkyB (22-03-17), M_C (22-03-17), WADDIS (22-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,885 Times

They like warm and humid conditions and hate drops in temps so keep it warm at all times. They don't like a lot of direct sunlight so partial shade is good idea and they love a good misting.
    Sent using a rudimentary device
    https://s32.postimg.org/5nlg414id/bunt_funk.jpg
    Current Grow:Super Critical Bud CBD. Diary here
    Last Grow: Green Love Potion & BlackJack
    Completed Diary: Cali Orange, Coco here.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FunkyB For This Useful Post:

M_C (22-03-17), WADDIS (22-03-17), Zolabud (22-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,776 Times

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyB View Post
    They like warm and humid conditions and hate drops in temps so keep it warm at all times.
    Sounds like my wife
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

FunkyB (22-03-17), WADDIS (22-03-17), Zolabud (22-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,704 Times

Thank you so much guys I'll deffo look into getting that book, I don't think our lass would be very happy if I brought more plants home hAha we haven't got the space lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WADDIS For This Useful Post:

Zolabud (22-03-17)

Thanks

Bought mine from E Bay for £2.80. That includes postage. There are 2 with the same name. Go for the most recent as it's twice as big.

It is my bible...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zolabud For This Useful Post:

WADDIS (22-03-17)

Thanks

In Sussex we have a website called Freegle. Folk can put up 'Wanteds' 'Offers' and you can put up receiveds when you get something.

Sofas,Washing Machines.... Everything you can think of. I always go for the plants and as I don't drive I get taxis to pick up the smaller ones and my Man + Van to pick up my big plants.
    That costs me £20 a go. Taxi is £5. But the array of plants I have is very impressive.
    Palms, Weeping Figs... All were very sad when they arrived and I get large pots online. I repot with decent soil. I always buy John Innes which is soil based. No 1 for seedlings,No 2 for potting on and the final No 3 for mature houseplants. I use a lot of No 3. £10 a bag. Big bag from E Bay.

When I get 10 posts I will put up some pics. It may be worth Googling Freegle as it's nationwide in the UK. Find your area and register.
    You can offer whatever you want and pictures help. I find it hugely satisfying getting my plants from Freegle and I now have a houseful.
    Buy I always find room for new ones....
    Last edited by Zolabud; 22-03-17 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Smelling pistake.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zolabud For This Useful Post:

WADDIS (26-09-17)