Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IR induced leaf heating question/day and night temp

Thanks

Default IR induced leaf heating question/day and night temp

I understand that IR induced leaf heating is the temperature of the top of the canopy closest to the light, in which the temperature meter can not calculate. If the temperature meter reads 78 degrees Fahrenheit, my research says the leaf temperature is actually around 84 degrees. My question is about which temperature to apply the difference of day and night temperature. Understanding that I dont want day and night temps to fluctuate any more than 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit, what temperature do I go off of to calculate the day and night temps? The meter temperature? Or the IR induced leaf heating temperature? With the only part of the plant that is effected by the IR induced leaf heating being the top of the plant, I am confused if that temp will effect the rest of the plant during day and night temperature fluctuations, considering the rest of the plant is relatively around the temperature of the ambient air.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chili dOG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-03-17), kbag (13-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,692 Times

Hello & Welcome to THCtalk.com Discussion forum m8, hope you enjoy yourself and find plenty of useful information on here……..

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDogsNutts For This Useful Post:

Chili dOG (10-03-17), GEORGE (09-03-17)

Thanks

still not seeing an answer to my question. Am i posting this wrong? are people seeing this? Ive asked the IR day and might temp question to some of the most educated growers I know and no one can give me an answer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili dOG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDogsNutts View Post
    Hello & Welcome to THCtalk.com Discussion forum m8, hope you enjoy yourself and find plenty of useful information on here……..
    what is forum m8

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili dOG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,780 Times

I'm not sure that I understand the question
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

10. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    I'm not sure that I understand the question
    say the day temp on the meter is 75 degrees, i dont want the night temp to drop any less and 10-15 degrees or it will shock the plant. My question is in relation to the temp of the IR induced leaf heating. The top of the plant is the only part effected by IR induced leaf heating. So is the drop in night temperature applied to the temp of the IR induced leaf heating or is the drop in night temp applied to what the ambient air temp is/the temp of the rest of the plant?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chili dOG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-03-17), Ginger-bud (13-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,003 Times

I'd say that if you've got your temperature probe around the canopy level this should give you the reading that will be adequate to base your day and night time temps around. The leaf temperature you speak of is a little higher as I imagine they absorb most of the heat from the light. But for your concern about day and night temps I would just go with the ambient air temp in your room at canopy level. If you use the leaf temperature as your guide you will probably notice a bigger swing in temps when the lights off as they are no longer being warmed by the light. Hope that makes sense mate

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ginger-bud For This Useful Post:

Chili dOG (13-03-17), GEORGE (13-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger-bud View Post
    I'd say that if you've got your temperature probe around the canopy level this should give you the reading that will be adequate to base your day and night time temps around. The leaf temperature you speak of is a little higher as I imagine they absorb most of the heat from the light. But for your concern about day and night temps I would just go with the ambient air temp in your room at canopy level. If you use the leaf temperature as your guide you will probably notice a bigger swing in temps when the lights off as they are no longer being warmed by the light. Hope that makes sense mate
    yes what u are saying makes sense and thank u. Now the IR cant be picked up from a meter, from what ive been reading. So the leaf itself absorbs the IR and heats up 4-6 higher than what the meter can read. So are you saying the temperature of the leaf that is 4-6 degrees higher than what the meter is reading doesn't matter and to just go off the meter?
    Last edited by Chili dOG; 13-03-17 at 05:27 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chili dOG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-03-17), Ginger-bud (13-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,003 Times

I would say so , yes mate. Mainly cos I've not heard of anyone measuring the leaf temp on here mainly just hanging the probe at canopy level because that's usually where it's hottest being just below the light. You'll soon know if leaves are to hot if they start curling up to protect themselves. Plus you'll know if your ambient is to high then your leaf temp will certainly be high to. I grow in a shed outdoors and although not ideal I have swings of up to 20 degrees somedays and I've had some pretty decent harvests out of it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ginger-bud For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chili dOG View Post
    say the day temp on the meter is 75 degrees, i dont want the night temp to drop any less and 10-15 degrees or it will shock the plant. My question is in relation to the temp of the IR induced leaf heating. The top of the plant is the only part effected by IR induced leaf heating. So is the drop in night temperature applied to the temp of the IR induced leaf heating or is the drop in night temp applied to what the ambient air temp is/the temp of the rest of the plant?
    i know im kinda repeating what u said, i just want to clarify that the larger swings in leaf temp dont have a negative effect

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili dOG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-03-17)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast