Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Long Way To Go - Harvest Smell Question

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,034 Times

Default A Long Way To Go - Harvest Smell Question

Hey Geezers.

I'm a long way from harvest yet (7-8 weeks) but am trying to plan ahead. I've got a single tent with carbon filter and I'm growing an Auto to finish while vegging a photo which I will flip to flower once the auto is finished.

I'm just wondering how I'm gonna harvest and dry the auto without the stink arousing suspicion from neighbours etc.

Any tips, does it stink bad even if trimmed outside?

Thanks All.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kobayashi For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

I'd harvest the auto close to or in the tent with the carbon filter running. For drying ideally you need a tent or room in complete darkness where you can hang the buds to dry slowly at the correct temperature and humidity.

I wouldn't do this without a carbon filter but as you don't have either you could make an homemade drying box and use ona gel to remove smell close to the to the room the box is in but not near the buds as it's strong stuff a can taint your harvest.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-03-17), Kobayashi (15-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

I would dump the photo & use the tent for drying....
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-03-17), Kobayashi (15-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,885 Times

Big cardboard box next to your tent. Two holes in the box to your ducting size and duct from your cardboard box through to the main tent creating a passive air flow drawing the smell into the main tent and creating the required circulation through the drying box. It would a be a fuck on and you'd have to be on hand to strike a balance in conditions both in the lights off and lights on periods. Best bet would do what MC suggests and review how you plan in future. Without doubt the most hassle free option and one I'd probably take is I hate hassle.
    Sent using a rudimentary device
    https://s32.postimg.org/5nlg414id/bunt_funk.jpg
    Current Grow:Super Critical Bud CBD. Diary here
    Last Grow: Green Love Potion & BlackJack
    Completed Diary: Cali Orange, Coco here.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FunkyB For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-03-17), greengiant (17-03-17), Kobayashi (15-03-17)

Thanks

Thanks for the responses fellas. I don't like the idea of ditching the photo, even though I know this is the sensible option, I do like a challenge, lol. If I put the photo out of the tent before flipping to flower whilst I trim the auto, will it smell or is the odour not too bad when still in Veg?

I like the idea about the box outside the tent connected to the tents inline fan. Would this sit in front of the fan or between the fan and the tent? If that makes sense.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kobayashi View Post
    Thanks for the responses fellas. I don't like the idea of ditching the photo, even though I know this is the sensible option, I do like a challenge, lol. If I put the photo out of the tent before flipping to flower whilst I trim the auto, will it smell or is the odour not too bad when still in Veg?

I like the idea about the box outside the tent connected to the tents inline fan. Would this sit in front of the fan or between the fan and the tent? If that makes sense.
    Plants start to smell well before you put them into flower, nowhere near as much but enough to stray beyond your room.

The air from you dry box would passively go into your tent grow area. Like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dry box.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	342335

You'd need to set you conditions in the dry box and then set the conditions in your grow tent. Don't know how damp/dry,warm/cold your building is so that would be down to you but you'd need to read up on passive intake so you create the correct pull of air flow and you'd need to filter all the duct ends with black ladies tights/hose as your dry box needs complete darkness as does your groom during lights off. It will be a faff fella but doable I reckon. One of the more experienced growers will correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FunkyB For This Useful Post:

Kobayashi (16-03-17)

Thanks

Thanks for the piccy to illustrate what's needed FunkyB. Rather than use a box do you reckon I'm better off investing in a small tent and to connect it up to the main tent in the same way? Then I could put my Vegging photo into the smaller tent and have the smell scrubbed by the carbon filter in the main tent whilst I trim the auto in the main tent? Will this be the safest option to zero smell?

Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kobayashi View Post
    Thanks for the piccy to illustrate what's needed FunkyB. Rather than use a box do you reckon I'm better off investing in a small tent and to connect it up to the main tent in the same way? Then I could put my Vegging photo into the smaller tent and have the smell scrubbed by the carbon filter in the main tent whilst I trim the auto in the main tent? Will this be the safest option to zero smell?

Thanks.
    As small tent would work. A box would just be a sensible budget way rather than committing money to fix a one off temporary problem. So long as the box is big and sealed everywhere except for your in and out take holes it will be fine for the job.

If you did get a second tent I'd keep your main tent as your grow tent and flip your photo in there and use the small tent as your drying tent, other wise when the dry is finished you're transferring your photo plant from one to the other which will release smell as soon as you take it out, plus you want the extra room of the bigger tent to work on your plant. The flow of air means which ever way round you do it the smell will go through the Carbon Filter as it's the only way the air can exit the tents. all other holes are drawing air in so the smell won't creep out the other holes.

Just make sure you set the conditions of the tent furthest from the carbon filter first, and the tent with the carbon filter in it 2nd.

This isn't ideal though, after the dry what ever you do don't start using the dry tent as a veg tent with them sharing the same outtake fan and carbon filter. Otherwise you need to start compensating for the long term reduction in pressure which means probably updating your fan and carbon filter to ones which can handle the surface area of two tents combined. What would happen if you did this is your out take fan wouldn't be providing enough air flow in late flower so you'd almost certainly achieve bud rot. circulation is very important.

You'd be spending money on a short term fix getting an extra tent you know? You're best just scrapping the photo or using a massive cardboard box and do this as a one off. Time your sowing right and you'll back where you were in a month. And with a cardboard box it least you can test your current equipment is up for it for free. I'd still consider getting rid of the photo and starting over i were you. If you don't it right first it could cost you your current crop and your next crop. Not worth the risk but it is mathematically possible if your current equipment is for the task. As I suggested read up on passive air flow and how distance reduces it's effectiveness.

If you do it let us know how it goes. But don't be pissed off with me if it fails as it would you be failing with your calculations if it doesn't work :P

Good luck fella

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FunkyB For This Useful Post:

Kobayashi (17-03-17)

Thanks

FunkyB, thanks for the explanation matey. Much appreciated. I'll probably give it a go with the cardboard box then for drying. As it is only a temporary measure I think you're spot on. I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers pal.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,224 Times

Put the buds in a cardboard box and attach your inline to the box. Then all the smell get's sucked in to the tent and passed through the carbon filter Done this last grow for 1 plant that was early and didn't have any smells.

It also helps keep a good airflow over the buds... I would only do it with a passive in take though as a fan might be too powerful and dry the buds out faster. Just make sure the box is small enough to maintain negative pressure
    Last edited by ReeferDankness; 17-03-17 at 11:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast