Thread: Fan / duct help....

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,993 Times
    Provided Answers: 36

Default Answered: Fan / duct help....

Ok so i am considering doing this next run in the usual groom rather than the shed groom. I have this fan called hyper fan stealth 8" with a climate control.

However, my original duct work in the house groom is 6" out, its a short run around 2 m from the fan connection...so i have an 8 " fan with 6" ducts and 2 x reducers from 8-6 or 6-8". i also have a 6" 900mtr/hr rhino pro filter to use. So this is the problem stopping me use 8" ducts. The hole in the wall of the house from my groom is only 6" (was originally 4" lol) and im loathe to make it 8" as that is bait, who has an 8" pipe to edge of their house with a big ol grill on it. Yes i could conceal it but id rather not go knocking more lumps out the building.

So my work around is this

6" filter > 6" duct > 6-8" reducer > 8" 1150mtr/hr fan > 8-6" reducer > 6" duct > out of building through 6" hole.

Im thinking if i run the fan at around 40-60% with the temp control probe in the room (should it over heat) then i should be able to use the kit in that way. However what bothers me is that i may stress the fan and/or over power the filter (so it lets smell out). I know that these e.c fans have no touching parts however i dont know enough about whether any of the electrical components will be stressed by a hindered fan that is trying shift 8" worth of air but can only use 6" ducts.

Obviously if its comes to it i will smash ole in the house if the chance of ruing 340 quids worth of fan and climate control..

I hope people understand my issue here. thanks peeps,
    FORMERLY TOBYSMOKER

Big buddah cheese and blue cheese solo journey - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ese-Round-Two-)

Big Buddah Blue Cheese & Cheese Mentored by Budlightyear! https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-Bud-lightyear

BREAKS & BEATS FOR THE MUSIC PRODUCERS OUT THERE!!! - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d-check-it-out

2. "
    Quote Originally Posted by SmobyToker#1 View Post
    Hi bananalizard. i get what you are saying but i kinda need to use the filter or i'll have every dope hound in the village at my door for a likl hand full o grade to keep schtum! so, it's a case of running a filter through 6" ducts to an 8" fan. Will this arrangment cause damage to the fan. If its not an issue then great but like i say i dont wanna fuck a brand new 300 quid fan loike cos i aint got a danny mague. Thanks for you're input, what you reckon with the filter attached? it's a rhino pro 600mm jobby with 6" fittings and 900 cubic mtr an hr air handling..atb
    If the air goes through the filter and 6" ducts first, and then to the fan (so the fan is pulling air through 6", not pushing it), it shouldn't be a problem for the fan.

The question we are trying to answer, is not whether or not the fan can handle it, but whether the filter is able to filter all this air the fan is pulling.
    For that we need to know how much air the fan is pulling, and make sure it's below 900m3/h, which is the filter rating.

But don't worry about hurting your fan, it should be able to handle it just fine."

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times
    Provided Answers: 510

If you are running it at the percentages you say, I would imagine it'll be fine.... but I wouldn't like to be running it anywhere towards full speed...
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

SmobyToker#1 (16-03-17)

Thanks

Yes this is my problem M_C mate. i don't want to over power anything, the fan i'm sure will be fine but the filter can be over powered to point it won't scrub the air. I'm thinking if i run it bit higher than my usual idle speeds then it should be sufficient to stop it hammering into full pelt mode. Fancy bit o kit but seriously no control over top end is just silly. i made my own for voltage control on standard fans with top end too for less than a ton. I have seen this over gadget that you can use with any fans and control top end, low end etc etc...good bit o kit but its like 200 quid.

Thanks fella for you're time

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SmobyToker#1 For This Useful Post:

M_C (16-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times
    Provided Answers: 510

I've been considering shifting my 5" RVK to a 6" RVK.... but running through a 5" duct, so I have had previous time to think about this

8. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

SmobyToker#1 (16-03-17)

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 1

The question is, is the regulator linear?
    In terms of electricity you will not be overloading anything.
    But regarding the filter capacity, assuming the regulator is linear, meaning, 50% speed on the regulator equals half the volume per hour, it shouldn't be a problem.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BananaLizard For This Useful Post:

M_C (16-03-17), SmobyToker#1 (16-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BananaLizard View Post
    The question is, is the regulator linear?
    In terms of electricity you will not be overloading anything.
    But regarding the filter capacity, assuming the regulator is linear, meaning, 50% speed on the regulator equals half the volume per hour, it shouldn't be a problem.
    hmm i wont know without looking at the specs or ringing the company, i take it by regulator you mean the electronics that control speed like a module for a washing machine for example. I am honest i dont know what you mean tbf but im trying to understand fella. Is there some easy way to tell if its linear? linear hmm is that like a resistance strip type variation of speed or like a step down type???? fook knows lol

Thanks

hmm i wont know without looking at the specs or ringing the company, i take it by regulator you mean the electronics that control speed like a module for a washing machine for example. I am honest i dont know what you mean tbf but im trying to understand fella. Is there some easy way to tell if its linear? linear hmm is that like a resistance strip type variation of speed or like a step down type???? fook knows lol
    Yes you are correct. Another way is simply to test it yourself.
    For example, take a big black plastic bags and attach them with your hand to the exhaust side of the fan, use a timer to see how much time it takes to fill the bag completely.
    If it takes double the time to fill, it means you get half the volume at half the speed, then you can use it and not worry about the filter.

Thanks

Yes you are correct. Another way is simply to test it yourself.
    For example, take a big black plastic bags and attach them with your hand to the exhaust side of the fan, use a timer to see how much time it takes to fill the bag completely.
    If it takes double the time to fill, it means you get half the volume at half the speed, then you can use it and not worry about the filter.
    Hi bananalizard. i get what you are saying but i kinda need to use the filter or i'll have every dope hound in the village at my door for a likl hand full o grade to keep schtum! so, it's a case of running a filter through 6" ducts to an 8" fan. Will this arrangment cause damage to the fan. If its not an issue then great but like i say i dont wanna fuck a brand new 300 quid fan loike cos i aint got a danny mague. Thanks for you're input, what you reckon with the filter attached? it's a rhino pro 600mm jobby with 6" fittings and 900 cubic mtr an hr air handling..atb

Thanks

If the air goes through the filter and 6" ducts first, and then to the fan (so the fan is pulling air through 6", not pushing it), it shouldn't be a problem for the fan.

The question we are trying to answer, is not whether or not the fan can handle it, but whether the filter is able to filter all this air the fan is pulling.
    For that we need to know how much air the fan is pulling, and make sure it's below 900m3/h, which is the filter rating.

But don't worry about hurting your fan, it should be able to handle it just fine.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BananaLizard For This Useful Post:

SmobyToker#1 (20-03-17)

Thanks

But don't worry about hurting your fan, it should be able to handle it just fine.
    Right yes i'm with you, so it's a fair assumption that turning the fan down around 50% will be within the operating air removal parameters.

The fan is 1150 cubic mtrs an hr but reduced 50% will be around 600 cubic mtr an hr. so maybe 3/4 speed would be best 862.5 cubic mtrs an hr. the problem i have is if the fan goes full pelt and over powers the scrubber. But my biggest concern was damaging the fan electronics.

Cheeers buddy for your help

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SmobyToker#1 For This Useful Post:

BananaLizard (20-03-17)