Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: First Time Growing Advice - Seedling Stage!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Aspie Toker View Post
    ...more light is better....
    I have read that you want to approach 10,000 lumens per square foot. That is full on sunlight at high noon kind of light. I'm using cheap chinese LEDs from Roleandro. Specifically x4 Roleadro Panel Grow Light Series,45W LED. They are relatively cheap, puts out about 18000 lumens together. So with those 4 in my 4x4 footprint is 1125 lumens per square foot. That is not enough for me so I got a 150w HPS that kicks out 16000 lumens. When all are running that is about 340w of power pushing 34000 lumens total. That comes out to 2125 lumens per square foot. Still low from what I understand, so I may supplement with some CFL to get a little higher. I'm optimistic that this will be enough to get me through my first grow, but I'm just not completely sure until I get my plants under them and see how they react.

I think that I will be able to put these lights pretty close to my canopy to maximize the plants absorption and I understand LEDs have fairly good light penetration (or PAR).

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smokedragon For This Useful Post:

FunkyB (24-03-17), GEORGE (23-04-17), Subtle (24-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,885 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Smokedragon View Post
    I have read that you want to approach 10,000 lumens per square foot. That is full on sunlight at high noon kind of light. I'm using cheap chinese LEDs from Roleandro. Specifically x4 Roleadro Panel Grow Light Series,45W LED. They are relatively cheap, puts out about 18000 lumens together. So with those 4 in my 4x4 footprint is 1125 lumens per square foot. That is not enough for me so I got a 150w HPS that kicks out 16000 lumens. When all are running that is about 340w of power pushing 34000 lumens total. That comes out to 2125 lumens per square foot. Still low from what I understand, so I may supplement with some CFL to get a little higher. I'm optimistic that this will be enough to get me through my first grow, but I'm just not completely sure until I get my plants under them and see how they react.

I think that I will be able to put these lights pretty close to my canopy to maximize the plants absorption and I understand LEDs have fairly good light penetration (or PAR).
    Can't put LEDs right up to the canopy fella. You'll bleach hell out of them. If your panel is made up of 3w-5w bulbs I think it's no closer than 45cm from the canopy.
    Sent using a rudimentary device
    https://s32.postimg.org/5nlg414id/bunt_funk.jpg
    Current Grow:Super Critical Bud CBD. Diary here
    Last Grow: Green Love Potion & BlackJack
    Completed Diary: Cali Orange, Coco here.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FunkyB For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-04-17), Smokedragon (24-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyB View Post
    ...no closer than 45cm from the canopy...
    That's good to know. I have not seen how my lights will affect the plants yet. I'm going to be trying a ScrOG setup to maximize my canopy area as well. I'll know soon enough if I can get something smokable from them.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smokedragon For This Useful Post:

FunkyB (24-03-17), GEORGE (23-04-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,885 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Smokedragon View Post
    That's good to know. I have not seen how my lights will affect the plants yet. I'm going to be trying a ScrOG setup to maximize my canopy area as well. I'll know soon enough if I can get something smokable from them.
    Don't quote me on distance but I know you can't treat them like cfl's

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FunkyB For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-04-17)

Thanks

So my seedling is looking a lot better with some good growth, a bit nervous as I was holding off for watering, but I have watered it tonight for the first time since fitting the grow tent and light..

Is it worth me propping my Root Nurse pots on 4 corks or something to aid better drainage? I feel it's not able to breathe fully underneath when sat directly on a base.

Slightly worried as I read it's not good to keep them sat in the wet drain tray. Or am I okay just draining the tray every time I check on the plant?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Subtle For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-04-17)

Hobbit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Subtle View Post
    But I assume it'll be suitable for my one plant first grow?

Didn't want anything too big, limited space and didn't want to have overkill!
    In that size tent mate, with your little light your gunna get some bud for your trouble. Dont stress about quantity, kick back and enjoy your little set up. A stronger light means more heat so then you gunna need more gear to combat that. I rekon yo will learn loads from this little grow without too many dramas. On the right trak imo.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-04-17), Subtle (02-04-17)

Thanks

Heya guys, so it's going well so far, watering roughly once a week. Had a little scare at the beginning of this week with yellowing leaves so I started using a little Tomorite with Nitrogen in it with my water, as the reading I did told me that it can be caused by a lack of Nitrogen.

Here's a photo of how she is at the moment, tips of the leaves curling up. Any advice?

I'm going to lay off the watering until she's really dry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17887233_10158429589970133_1066497255_o.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	343872

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Subtle For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-04-17)

Hobbit Guest

It can be difficult trying to manage feed and water in that size pot mate when she is so small. I do realise its an Auto and thats why you have gone that size. I think your on the right trak to let her dry right out. If you post a little more often and with more detail of what your doing you peeps might be better able to advise you.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-04-17), Subtle (16-04-17)

Thanks

So, I'm going to try updating a bit more frequently. She's had a water when she was really dry (11th I think) she's perked up and grown loads, I've raised my light by 6 inches which means 6" of growth! She's looking a lot more fuller.

Previous photo was 9th April, this one is tonight (16th) so 7 days from.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17976171_120332000229057945_1770461912_o.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	344241

She's starting to smell a little bit which I guess is a good sign!

Edit - I've started using a bit of Tomorite due to the leaves curling. Seems to be doing some good! Also using that with my Organic 'CarboLoad' stuff!
    Last edited by Subtle; 16-04-17 at 12:30 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Subtle For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-04-17)

Hobbit Guest

Nice work mate your away now.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-04-17)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast