Thread: Can I use this relay and a cheap B&Q timer? Help!

Thanks

Default Can I use this relay and a cheap B&Q timer? Help!

Relay - item number 252811391593
    Timer - B&Q 24 hour timer

My goal is to control my 2000w of lights with the cheap timer and relay posted above.

This relay states it will "switch 25amps of AC from 24 to 280v", but it also states "use a DC switching input from 3.5 to 32v."

If I plug in the timer to a uk socket, and put a plug in the timer with a lead to the relay, when the timer actives, wont the relay be receiving AC input from the timer? Problem - The relay it states it uses a DC switching input...

Therefore it wont work?

I dont have good knowledge of electrics.

Can anybody help me?
    Last edited by Blue; 24-03-17 at 11:44 PM. Reason: *Links Removed

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobinda For This Useful Post:

Glynne (25-03-17)

Dr-Chronic Guest

Timer contactor jobs done make sure it's rated enough to run the amount of wattage you need

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr-Chronic For This Useful Post:

Glynne (25-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

Don't waste your time trying to use cheap componants with 2000 watts of light. Itl not last 2 minutes and is a potential fire hazard.. You need a contactor timer. Try this item number 162390879451
    Last edited by Blue; 24-03-17 at 11:58 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

Glynne (25-03-17)

Dr-Chronic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Don't waste your time trying to use cheap componants with 2000 watts of light. Itl not last 2 minutes and is a potential fire hazard.. You need a contactor timer. Try this item number 162390879451
    Buy cheap, buy twice, buy cheap with that amount of light expect a fire mate

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr-Chronic For This Useful Post:

Glynne (25-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr-Chronic View Post
    Buy cheap, buy twice, buy cheap with that amount of light expect a fire mate
    Hey guys, its not a matter of me buying cheap.

The whole debate about the timer being cheap only applies when using it directly with large wattage. Something I wont be doing.

Also, thanks for the link to those "contact timers", are they not just a relay with a timer inside a case with sockets attached?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobinda For This Useful Post:

Glynne (25-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,884 Times

You don't mention what sort of lights...

The start up load is much different with LED, HPS magnetic ballasts or HPS digital ballasts (I'm just assuming that it isn't CFL lol)
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Glynne (25-03-17), Loki (25-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    You don't mention what sort of lights...

The start up load is much different with LED, HPS magnetic ballasts or HPS digital ballasts (I'm just assuming that it isn't CFL lol)
    Hello M_C, They are Citizen LED COBS.

Also, Even if they are HPS, lets say 2000w spec draws 2500W from the wall, the relay I listed above is for 25A at 230v, which is 5700W, there should still be enough overhead regardless of the type of lamp.