Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Plug Sockets

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,310 Times

Default Plug Sockets

Hey Some of you may already know that I'am in the middle of building a outdoor groom, I have the electrician which is a friend of a friend coming to install the power into the shed tomorrow after work. he had a look today and is getting the supplies tomorrow.

He will be running a 25mm cable from an outbuilding which has a fuse board in, From there straight to the groom shed but he said that i don't need a fuse board in the groom shed.?
    I obviously didn't want to tell him about whats actually going in the shed so I only asked for 2 double plug sockets.
    Have I made a mistake by only putting 2 double sockets in.?
    Im not sure if its safe to plug a extension lead into one plug and run various electrical things of this.

I don't know anything about electrics, would it be better to have a fuse board in the groom.
    Does it also come down to the actual fuse/breaker where the 25mm cable is powered from.

How many sockets would you say i need.?

Heres a list of whats going to be in the shed...
    the shed is 10ft x 6ft and will have x 8 plants in.
    2 x 600w lights
    1x 8inch rvk
    1x 6inch rvk
    1x iws flood and drain system.
    2 x circulating fans
    a air pump for the res
    sms fan controller
    oil filled rad if needed.
    humidifier if needed.

Apologies for all the questions, Hopefully some one can help.?
    Tanks
    Tom
    Last edited by tom222; 25-03-17 at 07:59 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tom222 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,120 Times

um how long is a string??? ummm 8?
    Coco Scrog with a mix bag COMPLETE 32.8 OZ's------

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ja-Take-2-Coco

Murdocks special blend x2 COMPLETE 6.6oz's

[url]https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?132905-Skunky-s-Bag-Seed-Extravagonja[url]

SCROG and LST 3 plants COMPLETE 10.5 OZ'S

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d-Extravagonja

Check out the single mainlined Nitro Lemon Haze mentored by the mad scientist Dexter. COMPLETE 5.5 OZ's

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...lp-From-Dexter

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Skunky n funky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skunky n funky View Post
    um how long is a string??? ummm 8?
    Iam way short then.
    Is that how many you got in your groom bud.?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom222 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-03-17), Skunky n funky (26-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

25mm Cable? That means very little.

It depends on the core size.

2.5mm cable in a wiring loop (two wires from the fuse box to the socket) will allow 20amps on the socket. This would be fine for the size grow you are using, so technically, you could just use extenders from that double socket. But I would not be happy doing that, you will be too close to the power rating of the socket for my liking. But you can not and must not plug a heater or ac unit or anything like that in, you will exceed the sockets rating pretty quickly like that.

Splitting it on to two loops, would be better in my opinion. One loop for the lighting and one for everything else.

Personally I use three loops in my grow. One for lighting, one for fans and then just a main loops for random bits likes air pumps and my speakers for when im in there a while.

It depends entirely what he is installing for you. I would personally ask him to put a second smaller consumer unit in the shed beasty spur in the home consumer unit. Say you will be using a heater and power tools in there, and your worried about using your heater and kettle and power tools at the same time.

A heater and a kettle are combined quite a bit more power than your entire setup.
    Last edited by TomKing; 25-03-17 at 11:22 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-03-17), Skunky n funky (26-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomKing View Post
    25mm Cable? That means very little.

It depends on the core size.

2.5mm cable in a wiring loop (two wires from the fuse box to the socket) will allow 20amps on the socket. This would be fine for the size grow you are using, so technically, you could just use extenders from that double socket. But I would not be happy doing that, you will be too close to the power rating of the socket for my liking. But you can not and must not plug a heater or ac unit or anything like that in, you will exceed the sockets rating pretty quickly like that.

Splitting it on to two loops, would be better in my opinion. One loop for the lighting and one for everything else.

Personally I use three loops in my grow. One for lighting, one for fans and then just a main loops for random bits likes air pumps and my speakers for when im in there a while.

It depends entirely what he is installing for you. I would personally ask him to put a second smaller consumer unit in the shed beasty spur in the home consumer unit. Say you will be using a heater and power tools in there, and your worried about using your heater and kettle and power tools at the same time.

A heater and a kettle are combined quite a bit more power than your entire setup.
    Hi Tom

Thanks for the reply.!
    I don't know nothing about electrics mate, But I will ask him tomorrow to install another double socket in the other end of the shed for a heater in the winter (good idea).
    I will also ask him if he needs to put a fuse board in.

So in total I will have x3 double sockets.
    But yea I don't wanna over load any sockets mate.

Thanks
    Tom

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tom222 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-03-17), Glynne (26-03-17), Skunky n funky (26-03-17)

Thanks

its not how many sockets, its how many loops.

A loop can have many sockets on it, for example in your house, the down stairs mains is on one loop (so that's every mains socket on that floor), all the upstairs sockets are on another loop. then the lights are on yet another separate loop.

each loop is capable of about 20amps (assuming its 2.5mm core cable). this is why some people run an extension socket from another floor to there grow space.

To put more than one loop in your shed will require dist box in your shed, and each loop would have its own 'fuse' this would require a meaty cable to be run from the dist box in your house with a really big fuse on it.

So you will need to make sure you ask for this. other wise he may just put a single cable from your house to the exterior socket, and a single cable would only provide 13A. Which would not be suitable for your needs.

Hope this helps.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-03-17), Glynne (26-03-17), Skunky n funky (26-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,120 Times

In my groom I wish I had 8 sockets if I was building my own I would. I didn't have enough and had to run extension cords through the floor from other places in the house. But I also rent and this place is a shit hole. A fuse board is a good idea actually a really good idea to keep things as safe and reliable as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skunky n funky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-03-17), Glynne (26-03-17)

Thanks

yeah, I ended up with eight actually! check my grow diary I give a full run down of my room

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-03-17), Skunky n funky (27-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomKing View Post
    its not how many sockets, its how many loops.

A loop can have many sockets on it, for example in your house, the down stairs mains is on one loop (so that's every mains socket on that floor), all the upstairs sockets are on another loop. then the lights are on yet another separate loop.

each loop is capable of about 20amps (assuming its 2.5mm core cable). this is why some people run an extension socket from another floor to there grow space.

To put more than one loop in your shed will require dist box in your shed, and each loop would have its own 'fuse' this would require a meaty cable to be run from the dist box in your house with a really big fuse on it.

So you will need to make sure you ask for this. other wise he may just put a single cable from your house to the exterior socket, and a single cable would only provide 13A. Which would not be suitable for your needs.

Hope this helps.
    Ok thanks for explaining i got it now.

He will be using 25mm armoured cable which has (600 / 1000 v)? on the side in writing - from a fuse board that has a spare fuse in it.
    I will ask him to install a board in there as well thanks.

I will let you know how I get on as he is installing it this evening after another private job.
    Thinking about it I hope he's got a board in he's van as screwdix will be shut after 4.00pm.!

I Couldn't find your grow diary mate, Have you got a link.?

Tom

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom222 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...aze-Coco-Scrog

You can find it there, as soon as the forum lets me I'll put it in my sig.

Yeah, fingers crossed, usually sparkies will have such stuff tho.

Can't wait to see/hear about your grow space more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast