Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Need a little help building my DIY RDWC system

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

Default Need a little help building my DIY RDWC system

Hey Guys,

So I'm in the process of putting together my RDWC system, I have looked at all the current offerings available from hydro stores, and while everything is quite over price, more importantly they are not flexible enough to allow me to place the dwc buckets where I would like them.

But I have a few questions, and could do with a little advice, especially from those guys who have already done this, but guys who haven't done RDWC I'd still love your ideas Especially if your have experience with DWC systems, because this is a first for me, I've coco for a while now, but all that waste coco is getting to be a pain!

So the plan is to build a 4 flower pots and one master (of the same size, kinda... more on that later) within the grow room, with an external top up tank, and then a nice RODI water res next to that.

The idea is to make life as easy as possible, I've loved the amount of time the auto pot has given me back, and I think the RDWC system can provide for me.

So, the RO filter will be connected to the mains water set to fill a 100L water tank, with an auto shut off valve, and TDS meter (that will be placed over the input & output to the DI filter stage, it also has a third probe which i will be placing in my nutrient tank for quick checks), This tank will contain a pump with a length of hose with the intention of using it to fill the nutrient tank for top ups etc.

Nutrient tank will gravity feed to a ball float valve in the master tank in the grow room. The tank with also contain a really little water pump to circulate nutrients, I want it small because I dont want it to put out much heat. So both tanks will be out of the grow room.

I am looking at using the following equipment:

4x 35XL really useful box (solid black) - flower pots
    1x 35L really useful box (solid black) - master pot
    1x 2" length ABS/PVC pipe
    8x 2" 90' Elbow
    10x 2" tank connectors
    1x 2" equal Tee connector
    1x 2" to 25mm hosetail adaptor (this will unfortunately not be just one piece)
    1x length 25mm flexi pipe (iceline possibly) for pump & nutrient chiller
    1x NJ2300 water pump 2300lp/h
    1x ET30/40 air pump (+ceramic airstones to match)
    1x hailea HC 250A nutrient chiller

Here is a picture of what I am thinking
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	system.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	343121

Then the air pump will be connected to a manifold, then equal lengths of pipe to ceramic airstones, I'm thinking 1 airstone in each pot. not including the RO tank and Nute tanks located out of the room.

So, now finally to my questions,

-I've been searching RDWC systems on here, but can not seem to be able to a handy guide for builders, so if there is one any one knows about, could you please point me to it. that would be amazing.
    -I keep seeing that people are adding spray bars? this does not seem to a feature I have seen in any commercial systems, could some one please explain how they work and what added benefit they give the grow. over bubbling air at the bottom of the roots that is.
    -any tips or anything I've missed, please let me know
    - Does anyone have any good places to buy the pipework and fittings, and more importantly a reasonably priced tank connector, I seem to be finding ones that range from £25 to £75 each!! I am looking for a nice easy system, I dont mind solvent weld components, as the system will not be moving once installed, but I do not want to do it as cheap as possible, I want something a little bit special.
    -Also, ABS, or PCVu? any preference?

I think that's it for now. I'll update with pictures as and when things happen, I will be buying the bits as I find the correct ones, but the system will not be built for at least 5/6 months. Any help would be massively appreciated.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

Dazmandaz (30-03-17), JB (31-03-17), Loki (30-03-17)

Thanks

My RO filter came, and is now attached to the wall and filling up my 100l tank

Anyone able to help with my questions?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

Loki (30-03-17), Trex (05-04-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,716 Times

B&Q sell tank connectors. I've bought mine there, they will also sell the pipes. The spray bars replace the need for a noisy air pump. Basically, you have a pump in the main res, this would be for your spray bars. They would fill the pots & the return pipes keep it all equalised. Spray bars provide more dissolved oxygen than airstones, they also don't mess around with your ph readings. Get rid of the airstones & air pump if you have bought them, get a 8000 litre per hour water pump instead

"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

Dazmandaz (30-03-17), JB (31-03-17), joker_the_smoker (30-03-17), TomKing (30-03-17)

Thanks

Hey Loki,

Thank you for popping by, I have been reading your RDWC builds and grows! I've taken info from Jesse and Redz as well, and I've come up with this. (sorry for odd layout, its because of the space I have)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	system 2.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	343251

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    get a 8000 litre per hour water pump instead
    I'm looking at the Newa Jet NJ8000, very tempted to use it externally as well. I'm seeing conflicting info on spray bar holes, what would you say now about them, after you've had chance to see if all working.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    B&Q sell tank connectors. I've bought mine there, they will also sell the pipes.
    Do you use the push fit connectors? I'd be worried they would leak, I've found some parts on ebay, at a reasonable price, well mainly the tank connectors are a reasonable price, because for decent tank connectors they seem to really make you pay! I don't mind paying a little more,but not crazy (2 inch ABS tank connectors can be as much as £50 each it turns out) this system is going to be in place for a good while hopefully.

I've looking at using 50mm pipe, I've done my research and worked out that 50mm pipe can handle 12,490 litres per hour at normal gravity fed pressures, so although it can easily handle the flow of water (at least on paper) especially as I have two 50mm lines feeding back to the main tank. I want the diameter to lessen the chance of root blockages. Would people recommend wider diameter? or is two 50mm enough?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,438 Times

There's a thread by Jessie and a build from. Me that document best way to build a rdwc.

Jessie's is much cleaner than mine but mine was cheaper so depends on funds. Let me find the threads.

My build:
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=149871

Jessie's

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=150588

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

10. The Following User Says Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

TomKing (30-03-17)

Thanks

Thank you Fwank!

I've been searching the posts, but there's just so much to search through! Your help is amazing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joker_the_smoker View Post
    Haha, thank you Joker, I have absorbed this build already, the MDF on the floor, is honestly a master stroke, so simple, but I'm 100% doing it. The build I have planned is based very heavily on this design, but modded a little to fit my space & needs

I'd love to know what Jesse thinks about his system now, and what he would have done differently.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (30-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

Quote Originally Posted by TomKing View Post
    Haha, thank you Joker, I have absorbed this build already, the MDF on the floor, is honestly a master stroke, so simple, but I'm 100% doing it. The build I have planned is based very heavily on this design, but modded a little to fit my space & needs

I'd love to know what Jesse thinks about his system now, and what he would have done differently.
    yea mon jesse knows his hydro you only need to look through his diarys to see how great that system is , unreal some his grows mukka. i will build this some day when i get the time lol.
    lookward to seeing yours in action matey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fwank View Post

Fwank how did you find the 40mm fittings? did you have any problems with roots? What would you recommend as the water pump? l/ph? Seen a few of your vids, pretty cool mate!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast