Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Need a little help building my DIY RDWC system

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,438 Times

Quote Originally Posted by TomKing View Post
    Fwank how did you find the 40mm fittings? did you have any problems with roots? What would you recommend as the water pump? l/ph? Seen a few of your vids, pretty cool mate!
    I use 1 pump a 10,000L/H one to pump into my chiller and from chiller into spray bars.

40mm fittings were an absolute pain in the arse. When filled with water they sag and can cause leaks.
    But anything smaller and its very easy to block them with roots.

The roots were perfect mate. Filled the bucket and had no issues at all.

I'm remaking the system in 4 months after this grow.

Using Jessie's square sprayers but keeping them all 22mm
    And same return pipes.

I'm also moving boxes closer to fit 4 in the tent and having the reservoir in a 35L box rather than a 64L.

There's a lot of wasted space in the tent at the moment.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Fwank View Post
    I use 1 pump a 10,000L/H one to pump into my chiller and from chiller into spray bars.

40mm fittings were an absolute pain in the arse. When filled with water they sag and can cause leaks.
    But anything smaller and its very easy to block them with roots.

The roots were perfect mate. Filled the bucket and had no issues at all.

I'm remaking the system in 4 months after this grow.

Using Jessie's square sprayers but keeping them all 22mm
    And same return pipes.

I'm also moving boxes closer to fit 4 in the tent and having the reservoir in a 35L box rather than a 64L.

There's a lot of wasted space in the tent at the moment.

What chiller do you use? I Noticed in your grow diary you mention in can deal with 10k l/ph! I'm looking a the hailea HC 300A which is only capable of handling 2200l/ph.

I will be installing a false floor like jesse did, so pipe sag is not an issue as I can support everything, would you not rather use larger pipe? I noticed on the last grow that you had a root blockage, leading to a flood. what is your opinion on over flow pipes? Great tip on the pipe sag though, I wouldn't have thought about that!

Yeah I'm thinking about using Jesse's square sprayers too. Got some boxes getting delivered in the next couple of days, so im gonna plan out the spray bars once i can see what i'm working with.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomKing View Post
    What chiller do you use? I Noticed in your grow diary you mention in can deal with 10k l/ph! I'm looking a the hailea HC 300A which is only capable of handling 2200l/ph.

I will be installing a false floor like jesse did, so pipe sag is not an issue as I can support everything, would you not rather use larger pipe? I noticed on the last grow that you had a root blockage, leading to a flood. what is your opinion on over flow pipes? Great tip on the pipe sag though, I wouldn't have thought about that!

Yeah I'm thinking about using Jesse's square sprayers too. Got some boxes getting delivered in the next couple of days, so im gonna plan out the spray bars once i can see what i'm working with.
    Root blockage wasy fault in that I drained water for flush and it sacked roots into the pipes and blocked it.

I have blocks under my pipes but having 40mm at the top of the box is a no-go for me. I can't support that.

My chiller is a hailea 1000. Loud as hell but if anything my pump is too powerful for it to chiller quickly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fwank For This Useful Post:

redisiel (31-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Fwank View Post
    My chiller is a hailea 1000. Loud as hell but if anything my pump is too powerful for it to chiller quickly.
    Wow, That's a huge chiller! But your right about it being under power for that pump, it can only handle 4000 lph so that Mega pump of yours is too quick.

Good to know about the blockage, its been one of the things thats been worrying me, I was wondering about pricing up 82mm pipe! but I think that I can settle with 50mm, the 40mm is just a little too slow for me. in a straight line it can only handle around 8000 lph, which would be the speed of my pump, I know it would be incredibly rare for one entire side of my system to block up, but just incase, I want to make sure that my pipe work can easily handle that, without over filling pots and flooding my room.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

Cunning (31-03-17), redisiel (31-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,700 Times

I would use 40mm solvent weld tank connectors (screwfix) I also cut little bits of spare pipe to the height , to fit between the floor and the underside of the tank connectors outside the tote, to help support it. This is all you need, but make sure you return from each side of the totes, to equalise the draw back to the res. This will prevent you getting roots stuck in the return pipes. Also when you glue the pipes and connectors together, apply solvent to both parts, and twist them slightly when you push them together. It makes for a stronger joint
    Push fit connectors WILL end up with you perfecting the art of bailing out your tent - not recommended. I speak from experience.

I would also put the res outside the tent, its just taking up space inside it and the nutrient will heat up inside the tent and your chiller willl be on more often, so put it outside.

A HC 300 chiller which you can feed and return to the res - from a maxijet 1000 pump will be a better bet, the big pump used above will be preventing the nutrient from chilling, as it will push it thru the chiler too fast. A maxijet 1000 is fine, and reliable.

You dont really need the airstones AND the spraybars, but the airstones help the DO. You could just have one or the other, and both options will work well.

When i ran spray bars in my system i used a hailea Hx pump, 6000 litres per hour, and it worked fine for a 4 pot system, but the bigger the better.
    Thats all i can think of just now, so go get building

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigbadbillybob For This Useful Post:

Cunning (31-03-17), joker_the_smoker (30-03-17), redisiel (31-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,218 Times

i cant find these 40mm tank connectors on their online site
    if i help drop a THANKS its free

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ENGLISH_HERBSMAN For This Useful Post:

redisiel (31-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

After a quick glance I'd use 50 mm returns and up the pump to around 9500lph but like advised above I'd get your nut in jeese's diary, good luck mate these systems fly
    Blessings
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

TomKing (27-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

[QUOTE=TomKing;1070564391]What chiller do you use? I Noticed in your grow diary you mention in can deal with 10k l/ph! I'm looking a the hailea HC 300A which is only capable of handling 2200l/ph.

A Heilea 1000 lph is perfect for the HC 300a
    Redz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbillybob View Post
    I would use 40mm solvent weld tank connectors (screwfix) I also cut little bits of spare pipe to the height , to fit between the floor and the underside of the tank connectors outside the tote, to help support it. This is all you need, but make sure you return from each side of the totes, to equalise the draw back to the res. This will prevent you getting roots stuck in the return pipes. Also when you glue the pipes and connectors together, apply solvent to both parts, and twist them slightly when you push them together. It makes for a stronger joint
    Push fit connectors WILL end up with you perfecting the art of bailing out your tent - not recommended. I speak from experience.

I would also put the res outside the tent, its just taking up space inside it and the nutrient will heat up inside the tent and your chiller willl be on more often, so put it outside.

A HC 300 chiller which you can feed and return to the res - from a maxijet 1000 pump will be a better bet, the big pump used above will be preventing the nutrient from chilling, as it will push it thru the chiler too fast. A maxijet 1000 is fine, and reliable.

You dont really need the airstones AND the spraybars, but the airstones help the DO. You could just have one or the other, and both options will work well.

When i ran spray bars in my system i used a hailea Hx pump, 6000 litres per hour, and it worked fine for a 4 pot system, but the bigger the better.
    Thats all i can think of just now, so go get building
    Big pump because I was going to have pump outside the tent and I wanted adequate power to push it all around the tent.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,700 Times

Quote Originally Posted by nooby_dr_g_is_back View Post
    i cant find these 40mm tank connectors on their online site
    My apologies, they only sell the pipe, elbows tees etc, i got my tank connectors from B&Q online, the local B&Q stores dont allways have them tho, so buy them online. Ebay also sell them.

Iwould stick with 40mm fittings, and wouldnt go 50mm either, because fittings are a pain in the ass to find (and are more expensive -mnyeeee im as tight as a ducks arse me). The 40s work fine, ive never had root blockages so why spend more.

I would also make sure you have 2 returns to the res if using a bigger pump (9500litre one), so dont tee it back to the res for a single return.
    HAve a look on Jesses thread, there are some old pics of a couple of my systems.
    Last edited by bigbadbillybob; 31-03-17 at 09:11 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast