Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cheaper run to waste system

Thanks

Deffo needs to be a sticky. The only solution i came up with was using a arduino with 2 float swiches. And then somehow put a delay so it wouldnt burn out the pump from hovering. In the end i couldnt be arsed with the effort. I just raised the pot.

Thanks alot for the simple solution.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mrnice586 For This Useful Post:

Toke monkey (29-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrnice586 View Post
    Deffo needs to be a sticky. The only solution i came up with was using a arduino with 2 float swiches. And then somehow put a delay so it wouldnt burn out the pump from hovering. In the end i couldnt be arsed with the effort. I just raised the pot.

Thanks alot for the simple solution.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I was the same. I was thinking of building a brain using level sensors, contractors and a small pond pump but while I was thinking about it, I realised I had already seen this solution before. Definitely works mate

Thanks

Sorry for sounding ignorant but I have no clue how these pumps usually work. Do they suck condensation from the air normally or do they always have water running to them? Also how do they know when to turn on and suck the water out? Would it be possible for them to flood/overflow if say you had 8 pots hooked up and you get run off from all 8 coming down the pipes at the same time? If this is as simple as it looks it will be a massive game changer in my run off disposal game haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hanny098 View Post
    Sorry for sounding ignorant but I have no clue how these pumps usually work. Do they suck condensation from the air normally or do they always have water running to them? Also how do they know when to turn on and suck the water out? Would it be possible for them to flood/overflow if say you had 8 pots hooked up and you get run off from all 8 coming down the pipes at the same time? If this is as simple as it looks it will be a massive game changer in my run off disposal game haha.
    They are used in air con split units. The side of the split that chucks the cool air out creates condensation. This is then channelled into one of these units that are underneath. So it simply collects the water in its tray. There is an internal float switch. Once there is enough water, the pump starts and goes until the float lowers and turns off.
    This is used to remove the condensation from the air con unit that is usually in the middle of the room to a waste pipe or outside.
    The units come in different sizes but the one I got is pretty standard. It easily disposes the water runoff from 6 plants in about 3 seconds so capacity isn't a proplem. Within reason. This will also depend on pumping head (how far up) and to less of a degree, distance. Mine is 1m pumping head and that's fine but I've seen these pump huge heads of water as the bore hole diameter is quite small.
    There is also a second float which is linked to that cable I made off and wasn't using. If you were good with electric circuits, you could use this switch as an overfill alarm I would think, if wired to a sounder.
    I went to the hydro shop and got them to open the bucket and realised there was nothing to it. I was going to make my own but quickly realised I could never make one as well as companies like grundfos

Viz Guest

Mate could you have a look in your bucket and tell me how much liquid, in cm's is left in the bucket after your pump has done its thing. What I am looking for and your idea may just be perfect for my needs is a way to empty my single big drip tray 1.2 x 1.2 directly by venting outside. I do not have space for a brain outside my tent. Wish I did. Currently I use a small pump that simply sits on the drip tray floor and pump outside. But each time I move something in the tent the pump will move or fall over... Plus I have to manually switch it on to pump up the run off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viz View Post
    Mate could you have a look in your bucket and tell me how much liquid, in cm's is left in the bucket after your pump has done its thing. What I am looking for and your idea may just be perfect for my needs is a way to empty my single big drip tray 1.2 x 1.2 directly by venting outside. I do not have space for a brain outside my tent. Wish I did. Currently I use a small pump that simply sits on the drip tray floor and pump outside. But each time I move something in the tent the pump will move or fall over... Plus I have to manually switch it on to pump up the run off.
    I'll have a look tomorrow mate. Off to bed. To confirm, I think you want to know the height of the water left in the bund tank, once the pump has activated and stopped. Off the top of my head, it's 30mm ish. I'll confirm tomorrow though. For your system, you could do what I did at first and loose the units bund (just unclips) and it will sit directly on the bottom of the tray. Would be fully automatic but it won't get rid of all the water.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toke monkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toke monkey View Post
    I'll have a look tomorrow mate. Off to bed. To confirm, I think you want to know the height of the water left in the bund tank, once the pump has activated and stopped. Off the top of my head, it's 30mm ish. I'll confirm tomorrow though. For your system, you could do what I did at first and loose the units bund (just unclips) and it will sit directly on the bottom of the tray. Would be fully automatic but it won't get rid of all the water.
    i revamped my set up because of issues getting rid of run off. I now have a big drop tray with the pots sat on some 2x4 bits of wood so the run off can't get sucked back in the pots but it's a paint because I have to manually empty them with a drill pump. Are you saying if I have one of these units I can simply take it out of its tray and sit it in my drip tray and it will automatically suck out water as and when ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hanny098 View Post
    i revamped my set up because of issues getting rid of run off. I now have a big drop tray with the pots sat on some 2x4 bits of wood so the run off can't get sucked back in the pots but it's a paint because I have to manually empty them with a drill pump. Are you saying if I have one of these units I can simply take it out of its tray and sit it in my drip tray and it will automatically suck out water as and when ?
    It would. You would be left with 20-30mm of water left in the tray though, in your current setup

Viz Guest

Thank you that is the information i was looking for.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toke monkey View Post
    It would. You would be left with 20-30mm of water left in the tray though, in your current setup
    Thank you for all the info, you have been a great help! I'm going to order one tonight. I'll try to lift one side of my tray to create a gradient to reduce the excess runoff but at least it'll prevent any flooding either way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast