Thread: Getting clones and seeds ready for RDWC

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

Question Getting clones and seeds ready for RDWC

Hey Guys,

So for a few of you following this subthread, you may have seen I'm building an RDWC system ready to be used in about 11/12 weeks.

The RDWC system will be used for late veg to fill a scrog screen then flowered and then repeated. So I need my seeds/cuttings to be good and ready to be upgraded to the main groom.

Currently I use an auto pot system for flower, so I generally plant my seeds or cuttings in to little pots filled with 60/40, coco/perlite, then place then in a heated propagator, under 2-4 23w 6500k cfl's. 99% of them pop, I always plant 6 and then use only the strongest 4 to transplant to to larger autopots and the bigger lights.
    I usually get the seeds down as I flip the lights, so I have 8-10 weeks for them to get to about 30cm high maybe more (I finding topping and training slows them down). I generally do the first top a couple of weeks before the transplant as well. I like to keep the veg time under the scrog to a minimum.

So now that's explained, and I hoped it makes some sense, I guess my first question is, what do you guys do to start your seeds/cuttings in Hydro?

I am enjoying to designing and building of the main system, so I'm thinking....

Plant 6 seeds in to rockwool cubes,
    wait for them the pop,
    take the strongest looking 4 place them in to 6" clay pebble filled net pots.
    Then Build a DWC tub with 4 openings for the net pots,
    drop them in, grow them up a little,
    then once the main groom is ready take the net pots filled with plants out, and drop them in to there final homes.

Would this work? What kind of root mass should i expect from small plants like this?

I'm pretty new to hydro, and keep hearing how fast things are, would 7/8 weeks of veg from seed be a massive plant?

Also for the DO, i like the spray bar systems but for speed and ease (and price) I'm thinking of just sticking an air stone or two in the bucket for now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

potanist01 (01-04-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,741 Times

Read one of jesses diarys : )

Autos
    Redemption Grow Take 2

Photo's
    Green lizard lick growing
    Exodus cheese exo-bition

THERE IS A STRICT 10 PLANT MAXIMUM RULE ON THIS SITE!.YOU WILL BE BANNED FOR BREACHING THIS!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ERBURT For This Useful Post:

potanist01 (01-04-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,700 Times

i use the root it plugs, they are better than rockwool, because rockwool can fuck with your water Ph and it attracts algae.
    Veg wise i vegged these for 4 weeks, (cant upload pic, from a previous incarnation, check the grow in my sig)and you can judge the height compared to a pedastal fan, they were about a metre, and that was topped 3 or 4 times too.You will only be able to veg for 4 or 5 weeks max, if your system is dialled in properly and, if you do it properly, or they will outgrow the tent, unless of course you scrog them

You could allways do them under CFLs or a T5 in the DWC tub, but when the roots hit the water, loook out, they will just take off.
    You may bell be stunned by the growth rates

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigbadbillybob For This Useful Post:

Johhar (09-04-17), TomKing (02-04-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbillybob View Post
    i use the root it plugs, they are better than rockwool, because rockwool can fuck with your water Ph and it attracts algae.
    Cheers mate, I've got a handful of random freebies I'm gonna make a little tester dwc starter and see what kind of growth I can expect from them.

I would hate to start them too early, and have the tangled mess of roots to deal with.

I do scrog, 2 plants under a 1.2m2 screen, so I'm really looking forward to pushing the veg times down!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ERBURT View Post
    Read one of jesses diarys : )
    I have, the ones in his RDWC system just say "I started them" pretty much. Haha

I think I get the idea tho, so I figure, I'm just gonna have a go at it in the next couple of days, I'll post pictures of my creation, see what you guys think!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

Johhar (09-04-17)