Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Novice needing advice & tips (LED based)

Thanks

Thumbs up Novice needing advice & tips (LED based)

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I'm a long time smoker, first time grower (planning to be)

I've a few questions I'm hoping you good people on here can help me with or offer any advice.
    Please do excuse me for being such a noob

I'm looking to do a small indoor grow, with an LED.
    Rather than buy a kit, I'd like to buy everything separate, mainly to get the light I'm looking at.

The light I'm hoping to budget for is the Viparspectre 450w LED.
    I'm also looking at a 60x60x140cm size tent.

- My main concern and query, is If I can grow in this sized tent with the one LED light? I'd really not like to have to buy two.
    I'm looking to grow only 2 plants at a time, possibly a 3rd as time went on and if space was available.
    Will I get a reasonable yield with the one light?

- Also worried if the tent is high enough after some reading today? Will I struggle in later stages to keep the light high enough? There's an 80x80x160 size, but if i can keep the size down I'd prefer to.

- Is it possible to grow 2 different strains along side each other? Say, an indica and a sativa?

- I have a general understanding of the whole extraction/intake side of things, with more research to come. But one thing I can't seem to pin down, is if I need an 'exit' for the air coming out, or going in? if that makes sense.
    I mean, do I have to have a big tube hanging out my window is my question. Can it just get what it needs being in a well ventilated decent small decent sized room?

Thanks!

Viz Guest

60x60 Tent screams single plant to me. I am struggling for space with four in a 120x120 mate.

Height will be an issue but there are techniques that can manage that. Remember what you take from the height will go to your width of the plant. So again we are looking at one plant in that space.

Mixed strains in a small space with height restrictions is asking for a world of hurt. Satvia are taller by some margin than Indica plants as a rule.

Extraction/venting of hot air. If you live in a country or regions where it is legal to grow you do not need to worry about odour control. In the UK we do. So any tent will need a carbon filter and an inline extraction fan. That is connected to ducting and vents outside the grow space. It is best to try and vent outside or failing that to a separate room/space. Heat will not be as much of an issue with LED, but they do produce heat. Smell is something that all plants will give off and that is the number one reason why people get found out.

Odour management is key.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

ggotch (09-04-17), Greengrass (06-04-17), JB (10-04-17), M_C (10-04-17), Samwise Gamgee (05-04-17)

Thanks

Ah this is disappointing. I'm guessing the size up to 80x80x160 wouldn't really help for a second either. .

So, one plant under that one LED light, what kind of yields can I expect?

And with the extraction and filter. A carbon filter is definitely something I will be investing in, without a doubt. It will neutralise the smell completely, right?

However, my ability to vent the air outside is a worry. There's no chance that I could have anywhere for the air to go outside.. And really, there's no where like a separate room/space that I could vent it to either.
    How big of a problem would that be for me? What would be the consequences of just venting the air into the bedroom it will be in?

Viz Guest

You can fit two in the 80 x 80. Will be tight but doable. Often you can get more from one really good plant than you will from two or more cramped into a small space. I guess it is all about how much you smoke.

Carbon filter (good ones) 100% odour free.

Venting into the same room is ok if you have good fresh air intake. Else you are recycling the same air and that is not good.

As to yield so many factors mate. Medium you are growing in, environment and quality of the grow not to mention the most important strain. Work out how much you smoke each week and then you can work out how to plan or structure your grow. In the smaller space you could start another Auto five or six weeks into your first grow an keep doing that. A perpetual grow thing. That way you are harvesting every 6 weeks basically.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

JB (10-04-17), M_C (10-04-17), ShutTheFunkUp_Donny (05-04-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

you could do a 1 or 2 plant scrog,

You would get the biggest yields possible from your space, and also all that training would keep the height of the plant as low as you want it (to a level)

the 400w LED would be fine at it.

Also Viz is 100% correct, do not extract and vent in to the same room... i definitely learnt that the hard way!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

JB (10-04-17), Samwise Gamgee (05-04-17), ShutTheFunkUp_Donny (05-04-17)

Thanks

K now I'm little confused lol. Viz said venting into same room is ok if I have good fresh air intake.. without sounding dumb, how would you define that?
    I'm in a new flat, pretty open plan and the bedroom a decent size with the tent planned to be fairly close to windows. Would having windows open for few hours a day suffice?
    This could be the one problem that would stop me because I have no where else to run the air to it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ShutTheFunkUp_Donny For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Appartment also has a whole fan system built in which pumps air in and out of all rooms. Not sure if that helps!

Viz Guest

Sorry for confusing you. Here is what I am trying to get across.

Most folks will have their grow tent in a room that is hardly used or not likely to be used, entered into by guests say. So that means doors closed. If you are venting into that space - a closed space with limited fresh air cycling through, then your intake to the tent is pulling in used air. Air that the carbon filter has scrubbed clean. Air that is reduced in CO2 as the plants use some. The constant recycling of the air means that with limited new CO2 rich fresh air being introduced the existing air will be reused and that will result in diminished CO2.

BUT, if you are able to push your air out of the tent out near a window, as if you were running a tumble dryer and your fresh air intake was directed towards the flat air flow system into the room them all good.

A scrog is a good idea, not to difficult to manage even for the first time. Just make sure you work out how you are going water/feed your girls when the scrog is in place as you can not move or take out your pots.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

ggotch (05-04-17), JB (10-04-17), M_C (10-04-17), Samwise Gamgee (05-04-17), ShutTheFunkUp_Donny (05-04-17), TomKing (05-04-17)

Thanks

Thank you, Viz. Appreciate you breaking it down for me.
    It makes a lot more sense to me explained like that

I think the room will be fine then.

I'm thinking I might go with the 80x80 tent, it's practically the same price as the 60. But I'll still stick with the one plant first few times around and see how I get on. I like your idea of starting another auto a few weeks into the grow.

And the Scrog is something I'll defo have a look at!

Thanks again. I dare say I'll be posting again.
    I plan to do a final equipment-check post before I get going to make sure I have everything!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShutTheFunkUp_Donny For This Useful Post:

Samwise Gamgee (05-04-17)

Viz Guest

All good matey. I had a thread of epic proportions when I was deciding what hardware to get. My first list that I put together I think the only thing I used from that list was the Old Timers Grow and Bloom nutes. All the rest I ditched as being unsuitable and followed the cracking advice I got here on the forum.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

JB (10-04-17), M_C (10-04-17), Samwise Gamgee (05-04-17)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast