Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Novice needing advice & tips (LED based)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,171 Times

Really great advice from Viz, good idea to grow one plant and see how you go as well

Can't really add much that Viz hasnt covered, welcome to the forum fella, use the knowledge here and you will be onto a winner

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

ggotch (10-04-17), M_C (10-04-17), ShutTheFunkUp_Donny (06-04-17)

Thanks

Not sure if I should be posting a new post for this guys, but figured this was still open, rather than fill with a whole new one!

Any advice on an inline fan? I've seen a £60 kit on Amazon with the carbon filter, but the reviews i'm reading are not good really at all.
    But I'm struggling to find UK tips/brands and which I actually need etc.
    I'm hoping to keep it down price wise as best I can.

I'm starting to find the whole sourcing different parts a bit overwhelming lol.

I'm thinking the light, intake fan and tent are the biggest things I need to get it running hardware wise? other than the whole soil/pots/seeds etc.

Sorry for being a complete noob here.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ShutTheFunkUp_Donny For This Useful Post:

Viz Guest

There are plenty quality online stores to get your kit from not just Amazon or ebay.

Brands are simple let google be your friend when it comes to shopping.

Inline fan 5" RVK L1
    Carbon filter Rhino Pro

Tent Hydrolab

Pots - Superroot Air Pots 10l if doing auto's

Soil - B&Q potting mix is what most of the lads here swear by. I just got some Jacks Magic when it was on special at Homebase.

Old Timers Bloom and Grow
    Some Epson Salts
    Cheap RH and temp monitor

And you are ready to grow.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

JB (10-04-17), M_C (10-04-17), ShutTheFunkUp_Donny (09-04-17)

Thanks

This is good stuff, Viz. Thank you, dude.

The Old Timers stuff, looks good. I'm guessing that'll be me set up with all nutrients I need?

And I'm curious, save me a reading.. What's the Epson Salts used for?

Viz Guest

That is all the nutes you will use. In truth if you grow in soil you may use your Old Timers Grow one maybe two weeks in total as the soil will have enough nutes for the veg phase.

Epson salts is very handy for growers. Magnesium sulphate is the stuffs proper name, and guess what growers need Magnesium and sulphur. A teaspoon mixed in warm water and put into a spray bottle and applied as a folliar spray twice in your grow will tick that box big time.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

JB (10-04-17), ShutTheFunkUp_Donny (09-04-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viz View Post
    There are plenty quality online stores to get your kit from not just Amazon or ebay.

Brands are simple let google be your friend when it comes to shopping.

Inline fan 5" RVK L1
    Carbon filter Rhino Pro

Tent Hydrolab

Pots - Superroot Air Pots 10l if doing auto's

Soil - B&Q potting mix is what most of the lads here swear by. I just got some Jacks Magic when it was on special at Homebase.

Old Timers Bloom and Grow
    Some Epson Salts
    Cheap RH and temp monitor

And you are ready to grow.
    I find it very strange for someone making suggestions on a complete LED set-up when that particular someone has never actually grown with LED's and has very little experience with them.

If you want the best advice at least take it from someone who has the experience and not someone who literally jumps on every thread as if he is the master growing of all time. This guy must spend hours every day on here and he has only been growing for much less than 1 year.

I do grow with LED's and I have countless brands in my inventory to choose from. In my inventory, I even have 2 x ViparSpectra 450w units that you have suggested and use them regularly as they do the trick for a budget LED unit.

You will get 4 well trained plants (LST, super-crop and SCROG) in an 80cm x 80cm tent. I have done it and got just short of 12oz from it in soil in 11ltr pots without even trying. It is very possible. Below is that very grow dairy:

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ndica-Foursome

My suggestion from hands on experience and decades of on and off growing would be as follows:

Inline fan 5" RAM Brand (Very reliable, quiet and powerful even with controller dialed in)
    Carbon filter RAM 5" Brand (100% odour free, big and very reliable)
    4" Active Intake fan (I would suggest RAM again) and use a "Y" splitter to provide fresh air to vent into both side of the tent.

Tent - the new BudBox XL Pro series which are currently the best tents on the market with white interiors for the price.

Pots - 11ltrs final pot size but obviously potting up until final pots.

Soil - Clover Multi Purpose with 33% added Perlite, cheap and does a fantastic job......just look at Bud Light Year grows and the respect he has around here is immense.

Nutrients - Growth Technology Range, cheap but very effective one part nutrients that cover everything (Ionic (Grow, Bloom, PK Boost & CAL-MAG Pro to replace the crap Epsom Salts) and GreenFuse (Root, Grow & Bloom) is the brand names from Growth Technology is want you should search for). These guys have been around decades and from the UK, they know their stuff inside out.

RH, PH, EC and Temp monitor which is reliable and not the £5 ones from the bay.

Then you are nearly ready to grow.

Sorry @Viz but you really do jump on all threads as if you are the only expert in the world. You gave been growing this particular plant for much less than 1 year and you preach as if you are the new Mr Nice regardless if you have the required experience or not.

Anyways, that is my opinion and I think you will not go far wrong.
    Last edited by I'm Sal; 09-04-17 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks

A scrog is a good idea, not to difficult to manage even for the first time. Just make sure you work out how you are going water/feed your girls when the scrog is in place as you can not move or take out your pots.
    This comment reminds very much of my first quote in my signature because I recall a debate about the use of LED's between @Viz and I.

Again, all boils down to experience and again you totally misunderstand, yes, SCROG's are good but you CAN move and take your pots out just like I always do when I SCROG and if you read the detail you will see exactly when, why and how. Its all below in another one of my diaries as post number 70.

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-Cheese)/page4

These were simply cut out a few nights ago and they still retain their very own original SCROG net to keep them in place. I can inspect every one of them very closely for mold and such like and also it gives me the ease of giving them mid flower flushes which I perform at least 2. Clean the soil and give them a fresh kick of nutrients.

It all sounds good but you think, despite never trying most methods, there is only one way to grow when there is countless but it all boils down to experience.

I never look into Hydroponic grows because I simply cannot add anything to the discussions but some of cannot manage to stay away.

Sorry for the rant but just being brutally honest because I have heard it before with LED's and it was proven wrong and still we all hear it each and everyday.
    Last edited by I'm Sal; 10-04-17 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks

I hadn't quite expected such a clash of advice here.. it would seem you guys have some beef..

Can one step in and say for sure if anyone is actually wrong? Surely there can't be such thing as wrong advice in here.. each to their own and that?

And viz, nice one for the pm mate! Was replying but I can't until I'm at 20 posts lol.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ShutTheFunkUp_Donny For This Useful Post:

Viz Guest

Sal old buddy you on your little soap box again eh mate. Don't worry we all love you babe.

Matey, I don't grow with LED and pretty sure that I have made no comments about light preferences one way or another. However I make my suggestions about the other kit based on what I know. Now we can't all have your many years of expert LED growing experience mate that you like to tell us you have, but last time I looked Sal the other kit is pretty much the same regardless what lighting system you choose to use.

I stick by my selections and the advice I have given here in this thread.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

British green (10-04-17), JB (10-04-17)

Thanks

Sal old buddy you on your little soap box again eh mate. Don't worry we all love you babe.

Matey, I don't grow with LED and pretty sure that I have made no comments about light preferences one way or another. However I make my suggestions about the other kit based on what I know. Now we can't all have your many years of expert LED growing experience mate that you like to tell us you have, but last time I looked Sal the other kit is pretty much the same regardless what lighting system you choose to use.

I stick by my selections and the advice I have given here in this thread.
    No "soap box" @Viz, besides, you are ALWAYS on there so no more room for others on that podium.

We are not buddies by the way so no need to get loved up by my interaction with you. Many know otherwise and each forum has "one" of your kind. You keep going at what your very well known for.

As for you @Viz being "pretty sure that I have made no comments about light preferences one way or another", no beef and to save you from more contradictory embarrassment I will not bring up your past comments which you obviously do not recall. Old minds eh.......I have even provided links from my personal grows were you have been incorrect with your comments which you very conveniently ignore!!

Entirely correct @ShutTheFunkUp_Ronny, there is no wrong and right but there is many different growing methods to consider and not be pushed in any as some suggest.

Anyway, I am sure @Viz will "guide" you in his direction as he does constantly regardless of inexperience, misunderstanding and distinct lack of hands on experience.

Have a good grow @ShutTheFunkUp_Ronny but always remember, although there is no wrong and right there are so many options and I am just advising you about my hands on experience, past and present, about the lighting and not some guess I know nothing at all about and don't let a pumped up one sided PM win you over.

I'll be looking on without anymore input.
    Last edited by I'm Sal; 10-04-17 at 04:36 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I'm Sal For This Useful Post:

B.A.BARACUS (10-04-17)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast