Thread: My flowering calathea!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

Default My flowering calathea!

Not sure if any of you guys are interested, but my calathea flowered the other week, which is pretty rare apparently, so I'm super chuffed!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

B.A.BARACUS (07-04-17), ERBURT (07-04-17), ggotch (07-04-17), Glynne (09-04-17), lazor_ears (07-04-17)

Hobbit Guest

Wow mate stunning that is, Ive never seen one in flower either so thanks for sharing her. After you've enjoyed it and before it dies be sure to dissect it and have a good look at its make up.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

Glynne (09-04-17)

Thanks

Of course hobbit!

I just got my Sarracenia to flower, but my girlfriend decide to split the root ball mid flower... Yeah, that hasn't ended well, so annoyed!

Gotta love those house plants!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

ERBURT (07-04-17), Glynne (09-04-17)

Hobbit Guest

Haha bad luck mate, not sure why she would do that. Cant say Ive ever seen them grown here, are the flowers short lived.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

Glynne (09-04-17)

Thanks

In fairness, it was getting too big for the pot, and we had decided to divide it in to three and re pot.

Why she did it after it started flowering... a stoner moment. it must have been.

The sarra flowers are the wierdest things, very interesting, not like anything else I've seen. I'm not sure how long the flowers would last untouched, we generally self pollinate, so they die back after that.

The calathea has been flowering for months now! amazing, we're not even sure what we did to push her to flower, we divided the root mass to make two plants, gave them both a weak feed but with good nutrients, and then a month later they both started flowering! very pretty flower, very sturdy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

Glynne (09-04-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,741 Times

Coz women can't leave anything alone lmao

Cool plant man never seen one of them

Autos
    Redemption Grow Take 2

Photo's
    Green lizard lick growing
    Exodus cheese exo-bition

THERE IS A STRICT 10 PLANT MAXIMUM RULE ON THIS SITE!.YOU WILL BE BANNED FOR BREACHING THIS!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ERBURT For This Useful Post:

Glynne (09-04-17), TomKing (08-04-17)

Hobbit Guest

yeah some long day short night plants ( or whatever it is, always gets me confused lol) can be really sensitive to light conditions. Especially indoors. Problem is some plants flower so rarely its hard to figure out why they are or are not flowering. Good job though mate glad you shared it I for one loved it. Ive never seen those Sarracenias before where Im from, love the patterns on them similar to some Orchids. When I first saw them I thought they may be some relation to the Dutchmans Pipe vine which is considered a noxious weed here. Not because they are out of control but they are deadly to one of our native butterflies.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

Glynne (09-04-17), TomKing (08-04-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    yeah some long day short night plants ( or whatever it is, always gets me confused lol) can be really sensitive to light conditions. Especially indoors. Problem is some plants flower so rarely its hard to figure out why they are or are not flowering. Good job though mate glad you shared it I for one loved it. Ive never seen those Sarracenias before where Im from, love the patterns on them similar to some Orchids. When I first saw them I thought they may be some relation to the Dutchmans Pipe vine which is considered a noxious weed here. Not because they are out of control but they are deadly to one of our native butterflies.
    Thank you Hobbit, that means a lot

I spend too much time on the plants in the house, as last count we we're at around 100 indoor potted plants, lots of pretty things, and rare bits if we can lay our hands on them. This season I seem to have gone a bit vine mad though, I'm thinking of trying to work out how to flower a devils ivy that I have, the whole internet says that you should nip the flowers as they form as they are a waste of energy for the plant... I can't find pictures easily, and I want to decide for myself, so that should be a fun little project!

The sarracenia's took a while to work out, we keep them with the bromeliad and succulents now, they all take so much of my attention!

I've have to get some shots of things as they flower and update this thread, the most I've got flowering at the moment are tulips! haha

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

Glynne (09-04-17)