Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Groom Build - Completed

Starsky & Hutch Pinball Champion!
    Thanks

Default Yet another Groom Build - Completed

So last year I moved house. To one with an out building (man cave). Deal is that I get the out building and the wife gets the house (although she does allow me to eat and sleep in her house!). Don`t laugh, it one of the best deals I`ve ever managed to get from her!

Its pretty big, two rooms, a power and water supply. The smaller of the rooms has an area with a sink+cold water supply (plus an electric water heater) and the back wall has two, open, dividers built in to it, splitting it into 3 sections, that cover about half of the room. The other room is massive, got my computer/TV (with fire stick), Hi Fi, fridge/freezer, books, work bench, tools and a 4 seater sofa. But its the smaller of the room that I`ve built my new groom into. I`ve built a stud wall over two of the dividers, turning them into compartments, and this is what this thread is about. The rooms I`ve built are around 2m long, by 1 1/2m wide by just under 3m high.

I did`nt start taking photos straight away, it was more of an afterthought, once I`d started. As you can see, from the time/date stamp on the photos, some are out of sequence. I got caught up in the project. There are also gaps, where I was called away, back to the house, for decorating duties. She`s the boss around here.

I should mention that this was my first attempt at construction and I felt I was really up against it. Not a square angle to be had. Not even the floor or the roof were level. The walls were also rounded off at the bottom. One of the dividers (concrete) was longer than the other. Looked a lot easier to do before I got a spirit level and tape measure out!

These pics are the earliest I have. Ive named the rooms auto and photo (to reflect what I`m attempting to grow in them).
    Auto room
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autos area.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	344890

Photo room

Name:	Photos area.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	344891

More later.
    Now if you`ll excuse me, it`s my lunch time

dougtheheads 3 strain grow Completed.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dougthehead For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (29-04-17), British green (25-04-17), Catch_E_Monkey (02-11-17), Glynne (02-05-17), joker_the_smoker (25-04-17), M_C (25-04-17), TomKing (26-04-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

haha sounds like a deal mate she might make you sleep out there every now an then lol.

sounds like a cool project. look forward to seein it in action

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

British green (25-04-17), dougthehead (02-05-17), Glynne (02-05-17)

Thanks

Apologies for the delay, got some friends staying and my computer time is limited ATM.

So I bought some stud work timber to start with. Basic stuff, available from all diy stores. Didn't realize it wasn't long enough for the height of my groom. But as I had bought 10 lengths of it, I pressed on regardless (it`s only just short of the ceiling). I put down the sole plate (Timber along the floor, forming the bottom of the wall) and noticed the floor wasn't level. So built up the lowest part with dry cement until it was level and, sunk some screws through the timber, into floor and added water to the cement. Then built the vertical part of walls frame. Fixed the studs to the dividers edges with 6" coach bolts. One stud on the wall I`m fixing the frame to, two studs on the central point of the wall (divider separating the photo groom from the autos groom), and another stud on the other divider that forms the other end of the build. Measured out the door liners I was going to use (each fixed to one of the two central studs) and put in two more studs, to support the other side of the liners.

Central studs

Name:	IMG_0802.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	345126

Support for door liners

Name:	IMG_0813.2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	345125

Gaps everywhere. Google and youtube came up with a few suggestions and a trip back to the diy store yielded me the following help/cheats

Name:	IMG_0807.000.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	345127
    Great stuff, used 4 tubes of it.

Name:	IMG_0856.2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	345128
    Really handy these little spacers. Not only to help line up the timber, I also used the bigger ones to support the doors, during the hanging process.

Name:	IMG_0809.000.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	345129
    Extra strength to the corners.

More when I get a bit more time.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dougthehead For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (29-04-17), Catch_E_Monkey (02-11-17), Glynne (02-05-17), joker_the_smoker (02-05-17), M_C (29-04-17)

Thanks

Big lunch out today, everyone else is snoozing in front of the TV so Ive managed to sneak out for an update.

Got the head plate on top of the frame, with some help from plastic spacers and gripfill. Doesn't reach the ceiling, so I used another couple of the big coach bolts to anchor it to the dividers and used the right angled brackets to fix it to the vertical studs. Not exactly tradesman stuff, but it works. Bought a couple of door lining kits and put them together on my patio table. The previous timber work was a bit slap dash, but these need precise angles. So when they were done, I nailed some off cuts and spare timber onto them, until I could fix them into place.

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	345181

Name:	IMG_0817.2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	345182

Name:	IMG_0816.2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	345183

Fixed them both to center point (where I had the double stud work) and the moved the outer studs up to them and fixed them too. Put some of the "noggins" (short horizontal bits of timber between the studs) and removed the off cut supports and then began to hang the doors. I had bought a "job lot" of second hand doors from ebay for 99p! So many, no one else bid for them. Bought a woodwork plane and started trimming the doors to size. After knackering two of them, being too enthusiastic with the new plane I finally got a couple to fit. Nice close fit too, need to reduce light leakage. No furniture in the doors, so I had to turn to the bay again and fit new ones. Lining up the "keeps" (holes for the latches and locks) with the furniture was the worst part. Took me all day to get them right. Fiddly as you like. The plastic spacers were a godsend for supporting the bottom of the doors while I fixed the hinges though. Ive always struggle to get that part right, when ever Ive had to work on doors. Was worth the tenner I paid for them just for that, never mind fixing the frame together.

Name:	IMG_0818.2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	345184

Name:	IMG_0819.2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	345185

It had been about 4 days work up to this point, including a day scratching my head, watching youtube videos and correcting mistakes. But it is my first attempt at construction.

Better get back to my house visitors now, other half will be giving me stick otherwise. Might do another update tonight, if we don`t go back to the pub again.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dougthehead For This Useful Post:

British green (02-05-17), Catch_E_Monkey (02-11-17), Chunked1 (30-04-17), Glynne (02-05-17), joker_the_smoker (02-05-17), M_C (02-05-17)

Thanks

Doors on and its starting to take shape now.

Next was the ceiling. The grooms are built under a flat roof. Mineral felt on top of construction hardboard, on top of insulation, on top of an other layer of construction hardboard. But I wanted to add another thin layer, covered with white mylar, to reflect the light back down.

I cant remember what its called, but I used a couple of sheets of that compressed board, that`s rough on one side and shinny smooth on the other. Cut it to size and sprayed the shinny side with impact adhesive. Spread the mylar over the top and held it in place with gaffer tape.

Name:	IMG_0823.2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	345218

Name:	IMG_0824.2.jpg 
Views:	79 
ID:	345219

I cut it slightly longer than needed, so that it overlapped the timber frame. This meant it would be supported at one end, while I was fixing the other end to the construction board. A lot easier than trying to balance it on top of my head, while fixing screws. Then fed it over the top of the timber frame and into place.

Name:	IMG_0825.2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	345220

Name:	IMG_0821.2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	345221

One tip for you though, wear gloves when using impact adhesive!

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	345222
    Last edited by dougthehead; 01-05-17 at 08:52 AM.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dougthehead For This Useful Post:

British green (02-05-17), Catch_E_Monkey (02-11-17), Donmitch0121 (01-05-17), Glynne (02-05-17), joker_the_smoker (02-05-17), MR B-loom (01-05-17), M_C (02-05-17), TomKing (01-05-17)

Thanks

Next was a matter of putting a skin on the frame. Plasterboard is cheap and easy to cut to shape. A section of plasterboard one side, some insulation and then another section of plasterboard on the other side. I bought a small box of plaster repair/filler and mixed it up with water, then applied it to all the joints between plasterboard sheets. Before I did the top though, I positioned the electrical cables that needed to come through the wall.

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	345251
    One cable each for the two 600w HID`s that I`m using and another from the heavy duty, surge protected 6 gang multi socket that`s going to power two desk fans and my two 5" RVK filter fans.

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	345252
    There was already some small holes between the two chambers, that allowed me to run two power leads from the photo section to the autos section desk fan and one of the RVK`s). So one multi gang was all that was required. Then plugged the gaps with gripfill. When I had completed the plaster skin, I ran the protruding cables through some sections of push fit pipes. Bought some right angled and a couple of "T" joints and some clips to secure the pipes to the walls and ceiling. I had just had some works done on my bathroom and the was enough straight off cuts left to complete job, which was why I used the pipes, but it turned out that if I had used anything smaller, the HID`s plugs wouldn't have gone through it.

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	345253
    You can just see the "T" joints, one behind the light and the other against the wall on the RHS of this pic. Power leads for the HID`s came through the wall, turned left (towards the wall) then ran along the wall and down to a socket. I put a couple of shelves up to stand the ballasts on, close to the socket. Then fitted a contractor/timer underneath. The contractor has a 4 gang multi socket that can handle x4 600w lights. The power lead for the contractor then runs through an "RCD" or circuit breaker before reaching the power supply. Better safe than sorry, when it comes to electrics.

Name:	IMG_0841.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	345254

The 6 gang comes out from the autos chamber, through the "T" but turns left, then runs across the ceiling and down to a different socket. There should be an RCD on this too, but I need to buy a new one.

Name:	IMG_0843.jpg 
ID:	345255

Last job was to seal the cable holes and one end of the "T"s to the plasterboard, with bathroom sealant.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dougthehead For This Useful Post:

British green (02-05-17), Catch_E_Monkey (02-11-17), Chunked1 (03-05-17), Glynne (02-05-17), joker_the_smoker (02-05-17), M_C (02-05-17)

Thanks

Next was a matter of putting a skin on the frame. Plasterboard is cheap and easy to cut to shape. A section of plasterboard one side, some insulation and then another section of plasterboard on the other side. I bought a small box of plaster repair/filler and mixed it up with water, then applied it to all the joints between plasterboard sheets. Before I did the top though, I positioned the electrical cables that needed to come through the wall.

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	345251
    One cable each for the two 600w HID`s that I`m using and another from the heavy duty, surge protected 6 gang multi socket that`s going to power two desk fans and my two 5" RVK filter fans.

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg 
ID:	345252
    There was already some small holes between the two chambers, that allowed me to run two power leads from the photo section to the autos section desk fan and one of the RVK`s). So one multi gang was all that was required. Then plugged the gaps with gripfill. When I had completed the plaster skin, I ran the protruding cables through some sections of push fit pipes. Bought some right angled and a couple of "T" joints and some clips to secure the pipes to the walls and ceiling. I had just had some works done on my bathroom and the was enough straight off cuts left to complete job, which was why I used the pipes, but it turned out that if I had used anything smaller, the HID`s plugs wouldn't have gone through it.

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	345253
    You can just see the "T" joints, one behind the light and the other against the wall on the RHS of this pic. Power leads for the HID`s came through the wall, turned left (towards the wall) then ran along the wall and down to a socket. I put a couple of shelves up to stand the ballasts on, close to the socket. Then fitted a contractor/timer underneath. The contractor has a 4 gang multi socket that can handle x4 600w lights. The power lead for the contractor then runs through an "RCD" or circuit breaker before reaching the power supply. Better safe than sorry, when it comes to electrics.

Name:	IMG_0841.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	345254

The 6 gang comes out from the autos chamber, through the "T" but turns left, then runs across the ceiling and down to a different socket. There should be an RCD on this too, but I need to buy a new one.

Name:	IMG_0843.jpg 
ID:	345255

Next job was to seal the cable holes and one end of the "T"s to the plasterboard, with bathroom sealant.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dougthehead For This Useful Post:

British green (02-05-17), Catch_E_Monkey (02-11-17), Glynne (02-05-17), joker_the_smoker (02-05-17), M_C (02-05-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

This is coming along nicely mate
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (02-05-17), Catch_E_Monkey (02-11-17), dougthehead (02-05-17), Glynne (02-05-17)

Thanks

Next was ventilation. No good having two 5" Rhino pro filters if the air doesn't go anywhere. Started in the photo room, going into the autos room. From there, through the end divider and into the room outside the grow areas. I didn't want to breech the outer wall with the outlet, there's already a tumble dryer louver at the far end of the out building, plus the two rooms are plenty big enough to change the air. Dividers are made of concrete though. Cement is easy to get through, but the little pieces of flint they add to it are a real bitch.

Name:	IMG_0832.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	345271
    Bought a 5" diamond core bit, fitted it to my cordless drill and made myself comfortable. Each of the two holes too took around 40 minuets to do. Had to keep stopping for the drill to cool down. Still burnt it out though. Had to finish with a borrowed corded drill.

Name:	IMG_0834.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	345272
    I put the beer can into this photo for scale, but after all that effort and dust, it sure went down fast!

I`d bought a meter of 5" plumbing pipe, a bit too much, some end connectors and a louver.

Name:	IMG_0833.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	345274

I also bought this "bug barrier" (below). Suppose to keep even spider mites out. Dont need it when the RVK`s are on, but part of the deal with my old lady is only 1 grow a year. Shes paranoid as F**k about me getting caught. So hopefully the barrier will help keep those pesky little Arachnids out between grows.

Name:	IMG_0835.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	345273

Next I put hooks, through the mylar and board, into the construction board ceiling. Two each for the fan and filter. For hanging the light I used a redundant curtain rail. I though a bit of flexibility with its positioning would be a good thing. Kept the little eyelets on it so I can tie (hopefully) heavy, bud laden branches to it.

Name:	IMG_0849.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	345275

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dougthehead For This Useful Post:

Catch_E_Monkey (02-11-17), Glynne (02-05-17), joker_the_smoker (02-05-17), M_C (02-05-17)

Thanks

As you an see from my last post the filter is connected to the extraction. Process for the autos room was pretty much a repeat, except the two hoses had to be fitted together. You can see the connector in the next pic. The hose from the photos room (horizontal one) is a bit floppy. I may either fix a wire to support it or shorten it, see how it goes for now. All the extraction tubes, connectors and louver were cheap. All bought from (you've probably guessed) ebay. BTW, in the last post, I forgot to mention the bug barrier is fitted over the louver, outside the groom.

Name:	IMG_0844.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	345276

Quick tip. I needed extra jubilee clips for all the hoses and extra connections. Quite expensive IMO. But I found you can buy a kit for 3m length of the metal band, with 8 clips, Just cut the band to size and attach the clip. Its a bit fiddly and it does help if you can see an existing one (so you know which way the clip goes) . Cost £4 from the bay, for 8 jubilee clips!

Almost ready for action. Two years ago, I bought a hydro kit. DWC, with an air pump and 4 air stones. I also bought a Trident EC/PH/temp wand. Never used them up till now, But with all that effort and expense, I thought why the hell not? As I still had plenty of the mylar white sheeting left, I used some to cover the top and cut circles in it to get at the holes. That`s why it looks like a very big dice on life support!

Name:	IMG_0851.jpg 
Views:	316 
ID:	345279

With these systems Ive been advised that they need to be cleaned out fairly often. So I fitted two shelving rails either side of it. This is so that I can raise the lid and remove the res, without disturbing my plants roots too much. The idea is to lift one side, clip in the shelf arms to support it, then repeat with the other side. Then slide the tank out with the roots off the floor or rest them in my old hydro tents spill tray, if their too long to dangle.

So that`s it. I was planning to end this thread with a picture of the plants I`m growing in there. 3 Cheese autos and a white widow X big bud auto in the DWC. 3 Lemon skunk and 2 money makers planted in coco, in the photo room. Nine plants in all, to make sure that if the worst happens and I get the 6 o'clock knock, I`m in the lowest category of offending.

I decided to do both a coco and a full hydro grow, in case I screw up the hydro grow on my first attempt. But the pics will have to wait as my camera battery is too flat to flash. I will add them later. There only around 10 days old, so nothing special anyway

Thanks to Joker and MC for posting, sorry I didn't reply but I wanted to keep this thread short and to the point. Joker, it wouldn't be the first time Ive had to look for alternative accommodation! Thanks to everyone else who looked in and posted thanks, especially to British Green, who has followed every step of the way. Made me feel like I was communicating, rather than talking to myself!

Hope you found it interesting.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dougthehead For This Useful Post:

Catch_E_Monkey (02-11-17), Glynne (02-05-17), joker_the_smoker (09-05-17), Loki (02-05-17), M_C (02-05-17), newbfarmer1985 (04-02-18), rockhopper (02-05-17), TomKing (02-05-17)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast