Thread: First loudspeaker grow box design ideas

Thanks
    Thanked 2 Times

Default First loudspeaker grow box design ideas

Hi,

I am planning to build a loudspeaker grow box and I could really use your advice.
    I'm totally new to growing, but I figure I can learn about it as I go, I've done a lot of research into this kind of grow box, and I've come up with a few ideas, I'd love to hear what you think.

I've got a pair of speakers that measure (on the outside) 80x30x38 cm.
    I am planning to make as few external modifications as possible, simply removing the back panel and making it easily opened/closed.
    The speakers have a bass reflex port (and a grill to cover the front), so I was thinking of using the bass reflex port as the exhaust outlet for a carbon-filtered fan, and drilling some holes in the back for air intake.

I am going to coat the inside with aluminium foil or something (is this a good idea?) to reflect the light and stop damp from getting in to the wood.

The power will be supplied via the speaker cable, there will be times when the fan needs to be on but not the lights, but I figure I can do this with only the 2-wire speaker cable, using some electronics (diodes to differentiate between two different polarity signals supplied, one will turn on lights and fan, the other will only turn on the fan)

The part I'm not really sure about is the lights, according to what I've found there are various types, and each one has different spectrum (ideally) required for different stages of the growing process.
    Because it is going to be in a small space heat might be a problem so that points towards LED.
    Moreover LEDs give the most light for their size (I think?).

I was thinking of using something like this as it says it is full spectrum so I presume that this negates the need to use many different types of light.
    Whoops I can't post links. It is "MarsHydro 300W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum"

It measures 7x33x20 so it would fit into the top of the cabinet, do you think heat would be an issue or could I get away with it without making holes in the cabinet?

I was also thinking of fitting some sort of heater inside the cabinet for the drying stage, so that it too can be done with carbon filtration to get rid of the smell.

Thanks in advance.

The Stranger.

Thanks

Heat will be a issue and cabs arnt that stealthy tbh. If you can just buy a tent.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,780 Times

LED lights require room between them & the plant, in the case of the one you refer to the recommended distance is quoted as 30-60cm.... time for a rethink...
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

If you were really set on it, as more of a project to see if it could be done.
    I'd look at cfl's, fill the bass port with activated carbon and extract through that (although the bass port would have to be near the top for it to work) I would use a computer fan, with a 12v transformer to power them, i'd also use a second computer fan for circulation in the box.
    Then I'd remove the speakers and replace with wooden panel with a picture of a speaker stuck over them, I'd also drill a hole 2x the size of the bass port in that and cover it with speaker mesh for intake.
    I'd run a single power cable to the speaker wire input, and then connect a four way adaptor to the other side inside the speaker, on that I'd connect my timer for the lights, and leave the fans plugged in full time, If i wanted to be fancy i would buy a 240v thermostatic plug so i could set the temp i wanted the fans to come on at. but because the fans would go off at lights off id worry about humidity and smells.

But honestly like everyone else has said, if you can find a small tent you would be better off, or even a small space you can build a small box in, would be better than a speaker, I'm looking at mine now, and they are pretty big, I couldn't imagine growing in it, with out so much lst, and even then, its so small

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

Squib95 (30-04-17)