Thread: Some Browning on Big Cola

Thanks

Default Some Browning on Big Cola

Hi Guys,

First time poster, straight into the infirmary I'm afraid!

Have my first grow on the go, the usual trial and error mixed in with some science, hearsay and a dash of utter nonsense. But, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. There's thing I can do better next time around, however by going through the process firstly, I think I know how to correct some of my rookie errors.

OK, so in the infirmary is one particular bug/cola, which is sad because it's my largest - but also closest to the heat source.

-AK47
    -Terra Pro Soil
    -600W lighting
    - Initial diet of Canna A+B, 3/3 ml (per litre) in flowering
    -PK 1.5 ml (per litre) in flowering week 6
    -Now flushing, (alternative canna flush + water)

Just at week 8 (need to harvest and don't have the luxury of time, next time around can spend more time perfecting it)

All in all, buds are looking fine really, I'm at the section where I believe the majority if trichs are kinda milky, and once the flush is finished, I'll be happy with what I've done.

However the issue was maybe around week 6ish, there were a couple of fan leaves around this particular bud that seemed to brown. Which seemed odd because it was only this particular bud. I have observed. I looked for signs of what could be Botrytis, but the pictures never looked like it, and it appeared not to be too aggressive. No slime, nor any fluffy stuff.

I got my de-humidiefer quite late in the day which I accept was another rookie mistake. But now I have it and RH is at the required level.

There was one instance where I had a fan issue with the plug, I woke up and there was no fan suction and I fixed it, although for that one morning there was condensation inside the tent.

The slight browning of the leaves co-incided approximately when I gave my 600W Lumi bulbs a 10% boost. I took the lights higher, and always have been wary about heat stress. I wondered about heat stress, but none of my pother plants displayed the symptoms.

I have taken a couple of pictures. I have manhandled it a little bit and attempted to see for myself whether or not there is a rot issue which I suspect; although even just by thumbing the bud, it doesn't strike me as inherently rotting, just a little bit of brownery that seemed off in comparison with other buds. I have a thought it could have been a heat issue, but my gut seems to tell me that something grave is up and I would not like to admit it.

Your thoughts would be welcome. If this is what I think it might be, then any suggestions as to how I can stem the flow of badness would be appreciated, particularly as I am now flushing and I seem to be scraping towards the finish line! I have learned a lot though.

p.s - the other half of the bud on second thoughts doesn't look so great! oh dear

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18217029_10155240986948126_2121227443_n.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	345097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18191334_10155240986968126_903384170_n.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	345098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18190882_10155240986933126_1688870147_n.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	345099

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

Hello Blackjack welcome to the forum

That is 100% botrytis caused by lack of air movement and high humidity.. If this is on just one bud turn your fans off and place a bag over the bud to stop mold spores spreading whilst handling, cut below the bud on the main stem and remove it from the tent. This is no good for smoking and needs to be removed to protect the rest of your crop until harvest.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

BlackJackFoley (28-04-17), EyeEyePickle (02-05-17), ggotch (29-04-17), kbag (29-04-17), M_C (29-04-17), SmobyToker#1 (02-05-17), TomKing (29-04-17)

Thanks

"A little bit of brownery" haha, it actually looks worse in that photo I just put up!

Initially I thought it was a dry/heat issue as this but is in line with the fan, not a heavy breeze. But for some reason didn't seem like the other photos i seen of bud rot.

I have to now suggest this is rot and the next step I presume would be to just cut this off entirely

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackJackFoley For This Useful Post:

Glynne (29-04-17)

Thanks

Hey mate thanks.

I think you know how sad this makes me!

Well at least it has been identified. Perhaps a small saving grace is that this bud was kinda on it's own at the top of the plant, since the rot has been taking place for anything up to a couple of weeks, I am not certain if other bids are affected at the moment, other than there are zero indicators as far as I can see.

Good of you to give me such a quick response.

One last question, I adopted a bit of a 'bite of the head of the snake" policy just there when I cut it, and these little guys were collateral. They appear to b perfectly healthy, and I was mid-flushing the plant. In terms of smoking them, should I just leave them to dry and take it from there? Shall I read up on water flushing?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackJackFoley For This Useful Post:

Glynne (29-04-17), SmobyToker#1 (02-05-17)

Thanks

Sorry - these little guys

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackJackFoley For This Useful Post:

Glynne (29-04-17)

Thanks

Collateral damage

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18197968_10155241062978126_1526761877_n.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	345102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18190947_10155241062993126_1367233594_n.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	345103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18197741_10155241063008126_1316561271_n.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	345104

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackJackFoley For This Useful Post:

Glynne (29-04-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

Take a really good look at the other buds. Check for browning of leaves around the buds, any bad mould smells and powdery dry spots. You may be lucky and it may have only affected the one larger bud.

If there is nothing else in there Continue a water flush, 10-14 days should be ok for flushing before harvest

As for the collateral you may need to do some water curing with Ro water for a clean smoke as chances are they still contain nutrients.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

BlackJackFoley (28-04-17), Glynne (29-04-17), kbag (29-04-17), M_C (29-04-17), potanist01 (29-04-17)

My House made of Hash. Huff and puff and I might let you in.
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,375 Times

I've found that rot often attacks the higher buds. I think it often combines with light / heat stress when the odd leaf gets frazzled and then the dead plant matter is where the rot gets a foothold.

Keep a very close eye on your crop mate. And browning of buds just cover and remove. It can spread to other places easily.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
    Cheers Dru!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to greengiant For This Useful Post:

Glynne (29-04-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,993 Times

Your pin leaves will die off and when you tug them come away real easy. almost as if just placed there. If that bud was dry, not slimy or gloopy or squdgy or soft mush, it could well be sever fan damage, i had it one a plant last time, my failure to act, resulted in a bud being basically dried out too much and basically curing on the plant lol. You will see a horrid fluffyness insiode that bud if its mold trust, and it will smell weird. mushroomy

Oh i've also had white buds too, too much light on 1 head
    FORMERLY TOBYSMOKER

Big buddah cheese and blue cheese solo journey - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ese-Round-Two-)

Big Buddah Blue Cheese & Cheese Mentored by Budlightyear! https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-Bud-lightyear

BREAKS & BEATS FOR THE MUSIC PRODUCERS OUT THERE!!! - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d-check-it-out