Thread: Electrics.....

Thanks

Default Electrics.....

So, finally got round to wiring my groom. 🙃
    Originally my plan was to spur from a socket outside the groom, and supply 2 new double sockets for lights, fans etc...
    Fitted new sockets, ran cables etc, then when came to connecting up to the existing socket, I found a spare MCB in the consumer unit. 16amp, labelled 'stair lift' which had been tippexd out from the old dear that was in before me, no connecting cables! Happy days, I'll supply it from its own MCB instead.
    So all done and dusted, I have the groom now on its own circuit, 16a MCB, 2.5mm cable to 2 double sockets. Haven't bothered doing a final ring circuit as I figured I'd be right with just the 2 sockets as a radial.
    Question is, (I think I'm over thinking btw) but will that be right to run everything? I plan a 600w hps, 6" extract, 2x4" input fans, and an oscillating fan?!?!

Ps. I am aware that by 'regulation', the new circuit should be RCD protected, before any proper sparks may pop up 👍🏼

Ta very much 🙂

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

That should be fine.

The circuit you have described is a 13a circuit, with a 16a fuse protecting it.
    You can work out how many amps something will draw by dividing how many watts something needs, by the the voltage.

So for a 600w light, using 240v mains.

600 / 240 = 2.5

so the light will take 2.5amps

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (28-05-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

ya be laughin mate with 16amps to play with. could run couple 600s without any worries