Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm back after a protracted absence! Can I get some LED advice.

Hobbit Guest

not sure if you can stretch to a cool tube or hood in your budget mate but this really helps with temps. I have a cooled hood and a 250w and ive had plants growing right up almost touching it. This could help with your height restriction.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

M_C (15-05-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

£150ish would get you a decent dimmable ballast, bulb & change to boot
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (16-05-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,269 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    not sure if you can stretch to a cool tube or hood in your budget mate but this really helps with temps. I have a cooled hood and a 250w and ive had plants growing right up almost touching it. This could help with your height restriction.
    Yeah, with some of the other stuff I need to get I reckon that would be a stretch.

So, while I'm pretty confident I could control the height of the plant and keep it down away from an LED, with an HPS light, if I find that hoisted up at the maximum I'm still toasting my plants I'd be a bit screwed. I think to do HPS properly you really have to have your shit together otherwise it's possible to end up with a setup that simply isn't usable, whereas upgrading to what hopefully will be a better LED is a simpler process with a lot more known quantities.

Guys, I really appreciate your insight in the HPS, I think when I finally get a more professional growing environment I'll take the time to invest properly in a killer set up and it will be HPs, but until I think, for better or worse, I'm going to take a punt on the COB LED. At best, hopefully it'll be a bit like the first brave souls who took a punt on the early MArs Hydro lights - before anyone knew if they were any good or not! At worst I still have my slightly flakey Mars 300 to supplement the new light if it's a bit of a let down, or to fall back on if it blows up in a week, etc.

And if it all ends in tears, you can all repeatedly say you told me so!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysticjim For This Useful Post:

M_C (15-05-17)

Hobbit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mysticjim View Post
    Yeah, with some of the other stuff I need to get I reckon that would be a stretch.

So, while I'm pretty confident I could control the height of the plant and keep it down away from an LED, with an HPS light, if I find that hoisted up at the maximum I'm still toasting my plants I'd be a bit screwed. I think to do HPS properly you really have to have your shit together otherwise it's possible to end up with a setup that simply isn't usable, whereas upgrading to what hopefully will be a better LED is a simpler process with a lot more known quantities.

Guys, I really appreciate your insight in the HPS, I think when I finally get a more professional growing environment I'll take the time to invest properly in a killer set up and it will be HPs, but until I think, for better or worse, I'm going to take a punt on the COB LED. At best, hopefully it'll be a bit like the first brave souls who took a punt on the early MArs Hydro lights - before anyone knew if they were any good or not! At worst I still have my slightly flakey Mars 300 to supplement the new light if it's a bit of a let down, or to fall back on if it blows up in a week, etc.

And if it all ends in tears, you can all repeatedly say you told me so!
    Not 100% sure but I think Kbag uses a cob. Check him out.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,816 Times

I am using that crxsunny 1200 watt cob led. It consumes 250 or 280 watts on the wall (I can not remember). I have never used HPS lights so I can not compare it atm but it looks like it is just doing the job.
    You may have a look in my diary if you like. It is a grow with many problems at the start of it (with hot soil and else) so I might not have gotten the true potential out of the COB in this grow.
    Last edited by JamesJoyce; 16-05-17 at 07:28 AM.
    A man chooses, a slave obeys!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,472 Times

I am watching James grow with the crx sunny with interest it is the first grow i have seen using this light. I use the Prakasa 300w Cob it does do a good job, best i have done with it to date is 10.5oz off one plant but then the AO is a big producer. Bulls uses the prakasa 200w cob and his first run with it was Haze XXL Auto and i think he pulled around the 4-5OZ if memory serves me correct best to check out his diary. The Prakasa costs a pound a watt so £200 for the 200w and £300 for the 300w they are not a 600w hps beater but imo do a good job for the wattage. Oh and they run very cool what is nice advantage.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kbag For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,551 Times

How many grows before the mars started failing? And you're thinking of getting another one?!
    Too weird to live, too rare to die

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cunning For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamesJoyce View Post
    I am using that crxsunny 1200 watt cob led. It consumes 250 or 280 watts on the wall (I can not remember). I have never used HPS lights so I can not compare it atm but it looks like it is just doing the job.
    You may have a look in my diary if you like. It is a grow with many problems at the start of it (with hot soil and else) so I might not have gotten the true potential out of the COB in this grow.
    Subbed up to your diary, dude. How high above the plants have you got to keep that LED to not toast the plant? Hieght is obviously as issue for my tent, but I think it should be fine. It looks like it's doing the business, but obviously as you've said, you had issues early on that might influence the outcome somewhat.

But thanks for sharing the info, good to know there is at least one active user of these lights on the fourms

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysticjim For This Useful Post:

JamesJoyce (16-05-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,816 Times

Quote Originally Posted by mysticjim View Post
    Subbed up to your diary, dude. How high above the plants have you got to keep that LED to not toast the plant? Hieght is obviously as issue for my tent, but I think it should be fine. It looks like it's doing the business, but obviously as you've said, you had issues early on that might influence the outcome somewhat.

But thanks for sharing the info, good to know there is at least one active user of these lights on the fourms
    I am keeping it min 45-46 cm over the canopy brother. 50 is better I guess...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamesJoyce View Post
    I am keeping it min 45-46 cm over the canopy brother. 50 is better I guess...
    Cheers dude. 50cm or thereabouts I can manage.

Bit of news, and this possibly falls into the 'too good to be true' type bracket.

Have ordered the light, retail price as new was about £150, saw there were options for used starting at £99 - thought I'd check it out but was sceptical. Found it's a Amazon warehouse deal, unused item, slightly damaged packaging but item in perfect working order(so they say). Thought I'd take a punt on it, went to checkout, they slapped another discount on it and I've got the light for £79.13 all in!

At that price, if I've bought a lemon, it's not too painful, but I'm very hopeful of getting a bargain!

All being well my next growing adventure should start within the next week

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysticjim For This Useful Post:

JamesJoyce (16-05-17)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast