Thread: Very Hard tap water Help

Thanks

Question Very Hard tap water Help

Hi all, I'm about to begin growing a couple plants indoors and outdoors (1st grow). I mixed soil using FFOF, Happy Frog potting mix, about 20% perlite and worm castings. I've never used the soil before but everything I read says the soil will buffer the PH to the correct levels. The tap water I have is very hard with a ph of about 8.2. Do i need to add Ph down to the water or just add it and let the soil buffer it? Any help appreciated.

p.s- I don't plan on growing very much so not interested in an RO system if I can help it by any means, thanks again..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Invisighost For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-05-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-05-17), M_C (15-05-17)

Viz Guest

If growing in soil you do not need to mess with Ph.

By the way hard water is more about the salts dissolved in the water and less about the Ph. The simple definition of water hardness is the amount of dissolved calcium and magnesium in the water. Hard water is high in dissolved minerals, both calcium and magnesium.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

Easy-T (15-05-17), GEORGE (15-05-17), ggotch (15-05-17), joker_the_smoker (15-05-17), M_C (15-05-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 58,356 Times

gonna sound stupid but is biobiz soil and what is canna is that soil or is that brown clay balls thing I am stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Viz View Post
    If growing in soil you do not need to mess with Ph.

By the way hard water is more about the salts dissolved in the water and less about the Ph. The simple definition of water hardness is the amount of dissolved calcium and magnesium in the water. Hard water is high in dissolved minerals, both calcium and magnesium.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Easy-T For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-05-17)

Viz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by easytiger View Post
    gonna sound stupid but is biobiz soil and what is canna is that soil or is that brown clay balls thing I am stupid
    My friend you will never sound stupid asking a question.

Biobizz substrate is considered soil. Biobizz is a brand name. They do feeds too.
    Canna is a brand name too, they do both soil and coco coir as well as a range of nutrients for canna (Cannabis).
    The brown clay ball things are just that clay balls.

Soil in our context can be compost that you have bought from Homebase, soil that you have dug out your garden, potting or seedling mix, and all things in between.

You only have to worry about PH when you are using a growing medium that is inert, coco coir, clay balls, perlite or any hydroponic system.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

Easy-T (15-05-17), GEORGE (15-05-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 58,356 Times

thanks viz always sound like stupid questions but everybody's gotta learn
    Quote Originally Posted by Viz View Post
    My friend you will never sound stupid asking a question.

Biobizz substrate is considered soil. Biobizz is a brand name. They do feeds too.
    Canna is a brand name too, they do both soil and coco coir as well as a range of nutrients for canna (Cannabis).
    The brown clay ball things are just that clay balls.

Soil in our context can be compost that you have bought from Homebase, soil that you have dug out your garden, potting or seedling mix, and all things in between.

You only have to worry about PH when you are using a growing medium that is inert, coco coir, clay balls, perlite or any hydroponic system.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Easy-T For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-05-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Talking

By hard water do yall mean water that turns your tub orange like this? I have never had a problem with the water, I think it is better than plain water with nothing in it. Have use it and drink it all my life. Mine test out at 7,5 though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5266.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	345768  

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Viz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    By hard water do yall mean water that turns your tub orange like this? I have never had a problem with the water, I think it is better than plain water with nothing in it. Have use it and drink it all my life. Mine test out at 7,5 though.

Dude that is the most extreme water I have yet seen in a dwelling. Funny thing is for people they say that hard water is actually good for you. For machinery or industry hard water is very very bad.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-05-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,306 Times

I'm in a moderate water area. Don't worry about the PH if your doing a soil grow. The nutes already in there plus any extra's you use will lower it anyway.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Admiral For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-05-17)