Thread: How do YOU test your Ph in soil?

Thanks

Default How do YOU test your Ph in soil?

I know from the limited info I have read on various sites, the going consesus is, soil will sort itself out in terms of adjusting its own Ph. Well I'm sure it does in most cases (mine would be different), however with me ive seen an improvment in my upside down canoeing im getting by using much lower Ph water. I use a cheap double probe unit you push into the soil to test it. It appeared at over 8 Ph so with the upside down canoeing, and google, I set about trying so sus it out. I do have books here for reference also. Im using a mixture of Fox Farm and Biobizz soils and im using the soil a second time round (again ive also read that people throw their soil away after just one grow, this appeared a waste to me, plus I like to break the mould a bit and experiment) and so far so good until a few weeks ago. Keeping in mind this is in my 5x2 ft grow tent which only has air that has tights stretched over the inlet to keep bugs and dust out. So about 8-9 weeks in from seed (Autoflower Super Skunk) this upside down canoeing was happening, but not on all bud sites. It affected only the sugar leaves on the buds themselves. I also had too much Nitrogen in my soil the weeks previous to this, so she was already recovering from a mini flush of Ph 6 water. I had a touch of 'The Claw' and dark green leaves and 90 degree bending down at the end of the main fan leaves prior to this mini flush. My point is, after another flush through with about 40 litres of 3.5 to 4 Ph water, she looks like shes recoving well. Some of you may now be thinking what is the soil Ph now? Its lower than 8 but its not very accurate. What are you using to test your soil Ph?
    There are no mistakes. The events we bring upon ourselves, no matter how unpleasant, are necessary in order to learn what we need to learn; whatever steps we take, they're necessary to reach the places we've chosen to go.

~Richard Bach

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

The only real way to PH test soil is using a slurry test

Get a 2nd soil PH probe & it will tell you something different
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Bud-e (26-05-17), ggotch (26-05-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,849 Times

yep as mc,only meaningful results come from a soak,sit n filter test using ro water and a proper ph meter.

and even then theres no easy way of measuring just what buffering the various microbes will be doing when they pass feed onto the plants roots (in addition to that original number from the soak test.)

therell be more in depth information on most pro horticultural websites.

ive done soak tests a couple of times,got stable numbers and at end of the day was none the wiser so forgot about it.lol

i have read though that giving a plant 3-4ph water can provoke hermie,so obviously i havent done that.

no idea what fox farm soil is like,never used it,but there does seem to be a few infirmary posts involving it so maybe its not that great at buffering ph,dunno.

someone will know more though.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggotch For This Useful Post:

Bud-e (26-05-17), ERBURT (26-05-17), M_C (26-05-17)