Thread: Carbon Filter?

Thanks

Default Carbon Filter?

I was looking around the net to see if i could find a way to make a cheap carbon filter, and i came across this video, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzkZgQkrT40"]YouTube - How To Make A Cheap Carbon Filter[/ame] , would this actually work if you put a fan on it to push/suck the air through, if that doesnt work which i dont think it would then is there any other ways to make a cheapish carbon filter that will be effective? its only for a small grow for like 2 plants.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,487 Times

Theres no reason why it shouldn't work mate, I checked this out a while ago. The only problem i can see from that video is that you would need a powerfull fan to push/pull through about a foot of carbon, But i bet it certainly gets rid of the smell!
    if you look at how much carbon a "proper" filter has its like an inch max i think!
    Im planning on doing something like this at a later date but i doubt 12cm pc fans will be able to pull through anything. but im going to try it, say 1-2cm screen? Also Check out extractor fan carbon hood sheeting. No messy pellets but a sheet used for ur extractor in your kitched to stop cooking smells going outside.
    hope this helps.
    x

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by widowsmite View Post
    Theres no reason why it shouldn't work mate, I checked this out a while ago. The only problem i can see from that video is that you would need a powerfull fan to push/pull through about a foot of carbon, But i bet it certainly gets rid of the smell!
    if you look at how much carbon a "proper" filter has its like an inch max i think!
    Im planning on doing something like this at a later date but i doubt 12cm pc fans will be able to pull through anything. but im going to try it, say 1-2cm screen? Also Check out extractor fan carbon hood sheeting. No messy pellets but a sheet used for ur extractor in your kitched to stop cooking smells going outside.
    hope this helps.
    x
    I came across another diy filter where you use the sheet of carbon out of an dehumidifier i think it was for which would probably be better because it wouldnt put to much stress on the fan by creating to much back pressure on it, Looks like a realy good diy job, and people use it and say it works brilliant, i could get you the link for it if you want but its on another growing forum, so if the moderators of this site did'nt mind then i will get the link,

another thing i was wondering is when the timed lights go off do the fans go off at the same time? because if you switch the fans off aswel the smell will escape through the intake wont it when the timed lights and fans go off? thanks for the reply mate.
    Last edited by jono1988; 28-10-09 at 03:14 PM.