Thread: Loft grow advice cfl v hps (loose buds)

Thanks

Default Loft grow advice cfl v hps (loose buds)

Hi guys

I've got an 80 x 80 x 1.8m tent in my loft. I used to have it in a spare room cupboard but had to move it for stealth. I'm running 2 x 150w (blue/red) & 1 x 300w dual spectrum cfl. I've been impressed with the results I've been getting but the buds are always very loose so I feel I'm missing out on weight..

I like the idea of swapping the cfls for a hps system but I'm worried about heat and the complications of ballasts etc (I'm in a loft running off an extension lead so also worried about safety). I've only ever used cfls so no experience with anything else.

Ive just harvested my last crop so I might change the lights for my next grow. I know cfls are good for their low temps but I'm wondering how it'll compare as I'm using 3.

I've got 4 x tutenkhamon autos taking a soak in some water and I'm hoping that I can somehow get dense buds from my next harvest.

I've only ever fed them oldtimers grow & bloom so maybe that could be why also?

What do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance peeps

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Autosmim For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-06-17), M_C (06-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

A few different things spring to mind...

CFL doesn't give the same light penetration as HPS

Use some mollases or Old Timers do an organic PK 4:8

Don't over do the plant numbers with CFL (or HPS for that matter - but CFL takes a bigger hit)

Thinking about the safety aspect, you are already running 600w of lighting that could easily be replaced by 400w of HID (heat difference? - No idea )
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Autosmim (06-06-17), GEORGE (06-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    A few different things spring to mind...

CFL doesn't give the same light penetration as HPS

Use some mollases or Old Timers do an organic PK 4:8

Don't over do the plant numbers with CFL (or HPS for that matter - but CFL takes a bigger hit)

Thinking about the safety aspect, you are already running 600w of lighting that could easily be replaced by 400w of HID (heat difference? - No idea )
    Thanks M_C.

I've been experimenting with numbers. I started with 3 amphetamine autos, then 1 x gsc auto and just finished a desconocida kush photo. The best result I had was from the first grow although I had a load of nightmares with them (that you very kindly helped me with haha). I've decided to go with 4 tutankhamons this time but I know I might loose one or 2 depending on how big they get. I think they should be pretty small so I've got my fingers crossed.

So you think a 400w hps would be a good replacement?

I don't know about organic PK 4:8 I'll look into that thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Autosmim For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-06-17)

Thanks

I had 2x 125w CFLs before I turned to a 250w HPS & my HPS just wipes the floor with what I could get from my CFLs

Using the numbers game, 100w per plant is the minimum you should look at per plant (more wattage with CFL ) - Now, if you look a little closer at how theoretical for 'top shelf' grows add up:-

The Holy Grail - One Gram Per Wat (1g/w) - You'll never get that (or highly unlikely!) in soil... so a 400w HPS is, theoretically, capable of producing 400g of good bud

Soil? Let's call it (for expediency!) 0.8g/w - 320g

So, let's say four plants... 320g divide by four 80g per plant

(see where I'm going yet?)

Not such a 'Top Shelf' grow? let's call it 200g.... now 50g per plant

There comes a point where less plants is more

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Autosmim (07-06-17), GEORGE (06-06-17)

Thanks

Yea that does make sense I know they need space to breath and stretch out so I'll keep an eye on the numbers. If they get big I'll get rid of 1 or 2. I got 52g from my last one so that's not the best as im running the best part of 600w..

My main concern is heat. I have extraction (4" rvk) pumping down into the bathroom but I'm worried about safety and choppers as it's in the loft! Do you think I would I be better off looking into an LED system?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Autosmim For This Useful Post:

M_C (07-06-17)

Thanks

A few people here are getting some really good results with LEDs, take a look through some of their diaries

12. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Autosmim (25-06-17)