Thread: Perplexing Buds.. Harvest Time? Old Timer Needs Advice

Thanks

Default Perplexing Buds.. Harvest Time? Old Timer Needs Advice

OK... First time poster here.. Used to grow eons ago.. Just got back into it after a 25 year hiatus, but "the times they are a changin.."

The situation: Growing my first auto fem plant (Fast Eddie) strain out of Canada..

In the past and in virtually all the on-line info I can find.,. there are two ways to determine when a bud is ready.. 1. The white hairs turn brown.. (which is the ONLY method I've ever known.. old school easy-peasy) and B.. Some sort of globes turn dark after being clear... Still not sure how to determine that. I've looked the buds over and I can't discern these globules or what color they are with my aging eyes.. which leads me to my questions...

This auto/fem Fast Eddie plant budded weeks ago... It had virtually no hairs at all. The smell was super intense...heaven... I kept waiting for any sign of hairs to appear.. NONE... after a couple of weeks the smell was less powerful... another week even less.. Even though there are ZERO brown hairs, I'm thinking I should take it now and hopefully learn something from this (my first) auto fem...

I'll assume these man-bred plants show anomalies now and then and no hairs must be common? I ask because I also have a Bubble Kush plant exhibiting similar characteristics.. almost no hairs..a few. Buds are full.. aroma seems to be on the decline...

Can someone enlighten an old timer getting back into the groove?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pirate1 For This Useful Post:

hoffmans2k Guest

hey bud not many go with the hairs these days lol you will need a jewlers loupe x60 magnification to be able to see the trichs (the lil mushroom shaped globe on the leaves) they have 3 colours

first they start off clear
    then turn milky in colour :- the high will allow you to do stuff
    after that they turn amber :- the high will give you a couchlock high unable to move

depending what high you want depends when you harvest

thats the prefered method most use as the white hair turn brown even if touched

the best thing to do now is give as much info as possible here like your temps , humidity , lights , feed and fans and filters the more you say the better the response

good luck bud hope you get more help atb

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoffmans2k For This Useful Post:

ggotch (28-06-17), kbag (07-06-17), rockhopper (07-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,965 Times

Get yourself a 60x jewellers loupe, cheap as chips off the bay, decide which effect you're looking for, as per Hoff's advice above, crop accordingly, bearing in mind you'll need to take into account the amount of time you'll need to flush.

ATB

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rockhopper For This Useful Post:

ggotch (26-06-17), kbag (07-06-17), M_C (07-06-17)

Thanks

BTW.. I was going to post some links to pics but the site won't let me because I'm a newbie. as far as evaluating this plant (and possibly more in the future).. using a jewelers loupe may be in the cards, but sounds like space-age, hi-tech overkill when I (and virtually every other farmer on earth) used to be able to just walk by a plant and know for 100% certain it was ready with a single glance.. No guessing.. no accoutrements ..No degrees in botany. However.. it is what it is here in 2017 and I will adapt.

PS.. I just ordered a jewelers loupe off Amazon... I may be old, but not scared of change...
    Last edited by Pirate1; 07-06-17 at 11:06 PM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pirate1 For This Useful Post:

M_C (26-06-17), OakyShades (28-06-17), rockhopper (08-06-17), Twisted (07-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,845 Times

This is how it will look mate this picture should make it easier for you to know what to look for

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Twisted For This Useful Post:

CloneBonerStallone (08-06-17), Pirate1 (08-06-17), psxking (24-06-17), rockhopper (08-06-17), Yardie-bre (26-06-17)

Thanks

Hello mate, i was going to post a thread asking the same.
    My girls are on week 9 since germination this Friday coming up.
    I've taken a picture of some of the trichomes through my loupe but the picture is pretty crap.
    Can anyone tell me if they look clear or cloudy, as was going to start to flush tomorrow.
    Thanks ( sorry to high jack your thread )
    YB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	347715

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	347716

Thanks