Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New grow room - advice needed!

Thanks

Default New grow room - advice needed!

Hi all,

First time poster long time lurker just looking for some advice and guidance on my new grow room from the professionals here.

I'm currently on my first grow, still in veg and it's a tent in my bedroom at the moment but over the next couple of weeks I'll be building a room to hold 2 tents, 1 for veg and 1 for flower and just wanted some advice on what people here would recommend for my setup and needs.

Here's a pic of the room I'm going to be building and planned layout:

Now what I need help on is ventilation more than anything, my current fans are ok but I think I could do better, what would you guys recommend for my room vent/fan wise?

Also I am using 2x 300w LED lights (134w each), I think these are ok for my current situation but I honestly don't mind inventing in something that will better suit me and give me better product at the end.

If there's anything else you recommend me adding/buying please let me know, I'm willing to spend a little here to get a near perfect little set up for myself

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: ok so I can't post a pic of my planned layout of the grow room but I will do my best to give you a discription.

Room size: 3 meters x 2.8 meters
    Tent sizes: both 800x800x1600
    Equipment in room: A/C unit, dehumidifier and humidifier

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,887 Times

Assuming that you are going to use one LED in both tents then I would say your good for veg but could with something more to flower with...
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

dougthehead (09-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Assuming that you are going to use one LED in both tents then I would say your good for veg but could with something more to flower with...
    Well at first I was only using the 1 LED and since Ive put the other one in it has been growing much quicker so I'm probably going to be using 2 LED in the veg for the quicker growth,

For flower I don't mind buying more lights it's just is 600w (268W true) going to be enough for flower, is there a better light you'd recommend for flower? Like I said in my original post, I'm willing to spend whatever to suit my setup and needs

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Well at first I was only using the 1 LED and since Ive put the other one in it has been growing much quicker so I'm probably going to be using 2 LED in the veg for the quicker growth,

For flower I don't mind buying more lights it's just is 600w (268W true) going to be enough for flower, is there a better light you'd recommend for flower? Like I said in my original post, I'm willing to spend whatever to suit my setup and needs
    High pressure sodium (hps) lights are the strongest for flowering, get yourself a 600 watt dual spectrum bulb, a dimmable digital ballast and a good reflector.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

dougthehead (09-06-17)

Thanks

I'm a confirmed HPS guy myself, I had a flirt with LED in the past, but it wasn't for me So, I'm not really too clued up on LED, but I would think some of other members that use LEDs will pop in here later with more useful advice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cantona View Post
    High pressure sodium (hps) lights are the strongest for flowering, get yourself a 600 watt dual spectrum bulb, a dimmable digital ballast and a good reflector.
    Any models you recommend personally?

Also I'm guessing these lights run hotter than LED, what type of fans am i going to need to control heat or should i be ok with the A/C in the room

Starsky & Hutch Pinball Champion!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Any models you recommend personally?

Also I'm guessing these lights run hotter than LED, what type of fans am i going to need to control heat or should i be ok with the A/C in the room
    If you buy new lights, there all pretty much the same IMO. HID`s do run a lot hotter than LED. That can be a real bonus when the weather outside is cooler as cold plants grow slower, in my experience. In late autumn inthe UK, its kept my plants going. But I never worry about hi temps when I`m growing in coco or dirt. In hydro you need to keep the water/nute temp between 18-20c, otherwise your plants cannot use the O2 in the water properly, but hi temps have never hurt my plants grown in either dirt or coco. Ganga can take it!

As for your ventilation/fans, its hard to say exactly what you need without seeing your groom. Get your post count up to the required level and then post a few pics. If your putting two 800x800x1600 tents into a room that size your going to want a fan and filter in each tent, and then some way of changing the air in the room (outside your tents) too. That sounds a bit problematic to me m8. Unless the room has a window you can keep slightly open.

For inside your tents though I would consider either RVK or Ruck fans. Both have a good rep and I`m still using an RVK that I bought 5 years ago. Personal I have only used Rhino pro carbon filters, and you WILL need a filter unless you live miles away from the rest of civilization. Rhino are the market leader and you pay extra for that, but I get at least 2 years constant use before I change them. Usually longer. 4" fan/filter is probably the smallest you will get away with, depends on how much smell leakage you can get away with. But no point in getting anything bigger than 6".

I`ve only needed a dehumidifier with hydro grows and never used a humidifier at all.

I agree with Cantona about the Dual 600w HID, good advice. You can use them in veg too, if you don`t get good results with the LED`s. But I haven't used LED`s, so IDK what there like.

But as I said, get our post count up and then post pics. I`ve had plenty of great advice here, after I did that.

Good luck
    Now if you`ll excuse me, it`s my lunch time

dougtheheads 3 strain grow Completed.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dougthehead For This Useful Post:

M_C (09-06-17), Rome (09-06-17)

Thanks

Thanks mate this advice is really helpful.

The room itself is being built in the loft, it won't have a window but I can run ducting to fresh air and have a spare fan I have lying around bring air in.

In terms of the tent ventilation, what you have described sounds perfect, I will be buying all the extras I need over the weekend and the room will be built over next weekend.

I'll get my post count up and add pictures for you!

Again appreciate the advice you have given me

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rome For This Useful Post:

dougthehead (09-06-17)

Thanks

I havent played with hps myself but from my experience they spew heat allover the tent where as hids have the cooltube option. But you can plug and play leds anywhere u want. I have been running about 1600 real watts of leds in two tents with only a dualspeed rhino 6" for extraction but as summer rolls in temps have risen to 30 degrees. So ive been forced to upgrade the extraction

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WakaWaka View Post
    I havent played with hps myself but from my experience they spew heat allover the tent where as hids have the cooltube option.
    A HPS light is a HID light. HID means High Intensity Discharge

15. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

dougthehead (10-06-17)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast