Thread: Indole-3-butyric acid use on a mature plant?

Thanks

Cool Indole-3-butyric acid use on a mature plant?

Ususally Indole-3-butyric acid is used as a rooting hormone. Can this be used in solution as a root drench for a mature plant?

I have seen some initial results in a random event in my garden. I mixed some Indole-3-butyric acid in a high concentration to bandage a broken branch. I mixed a little too much and poured the rest on the roots. Next day the plant noticeably stretched and looked amazing. I'm concerned about toxicity in the plant in the long term but initial results are promising. I mixed a similar solution and tried it on the smallest of my plants in hopes to prompt a stretch which will "catch it up" to the others.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,876 Times

If the the long term toxicity is of a concern then it's best not to do it...
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

Thanks

Here are some Macro shots of the post treatment trauma site. Promising healing in a 24 hour period of time. The branch was at an 120 degree break less than 24 hours ago.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170610_071535.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	346933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170610_071214.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	346934

That being said I just watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J8q2vDGz5k
    Holy shit there are plant hormones that are class A carcinogens. They could be lurking in special blend additives with pretty art on the label. Medical users could smoke and hurt themselves even worse out of ignorance and greed of the grower. I could see this being more of a problem with a smarty grower in an illegal place trying to boost production on the black market and is only focused on yields and post drying weights.

Thanks

Plenty of stuff that you can buy for feeding the plants that has a very dubious health record - Including some of the stuff that some of the guys here use

5. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

ggotch (10-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    ...long term toxicity...
    Fortunately, in my case, indole-3-butyric acid is not toxic. It took some research to find out though.

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem...1_1-Aug-00.pdf

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Smokedragon For This Useful Post:

M_C (10-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smokedragon View Post
    Fortunately, in my case, indole-3-butyric acid is not toxic. It took some research to find out though.

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem...1_1-Aug-00.pdf
    It doesn't mention about smoking/inhaling it, just ingesting it. It may sound as if I'm being picky but, take something like Diacetyl (an organic flavouring), it is perfectly safe to ingest but inhaling it causes lung problems (popcorn lung)

Just be 100% sure is all I say!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

ggotch (10-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    It doesn't mention about smoking/inhaling it...
    Looks safe to burn. Probably no worse than inhaling any carbon based life form after burning. "Products of Combustion: These products are carbon oxides (CO, CO2), nitrogen oxides (NO, NO2...)" https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/s...rm+@DOCNO+7214 http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924364

Thanks

Each to their own... but I wouldn't touch it...