Thread: Is it possible......

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,968 Times

Default Is it possible......

.....to give varying levels of light to the plants throughout the flowering stage?
    I have a 600w digital/dimmable/switchable ballast and would like to know if I can switch between settings/bulbs without stressing the plants out....
    TLS

SCOTLAND V ENGLAND 3pm

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Lost Soul For This Useful Post:

farmguy Guest

Not sure on wat u mean really
    But i would run 1 400w mh bulb for veg then first 2 week flower then i add another 400w an have them on hps bulbs an turn boost on the 2 400w ballasts an keep it like that till harvest

Atb

4. The Following User Says Thank You to farmguy For This Useful Post:

The Lost Soul (10-06-17)

Thanks

I mean, I'm running 400w from the ballast just now but there are times when the ambient temp around the grow space will be low enough to pump the ballast up to 600w....so, do you think this will stress the plants?
    TLS

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

Yes you can switch between settings if it's to keep your temps within range, Itl cause no problems but obviously the higher the watts the better the results that's if you can control the temperature on its highest setting.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

M_C (10-06-17), The Lost Soul (10-06-17)

Thanks

Good man, Blue. Thank you for clearing that up. Controlling the temps is no probs when the ambient temp is right so I'll be pumping it up to 600w whenever possible.
    My mate grows and he thought that the change would stress/hermit the plants out but he's self taught and doesn't have the means to switch between light strengths.
    Tried telling him about THCTalk but it's fallen on deaf ears.
    Ever since 2009 when I joined, this is the only site I've ever used and will be the only site I ever use. The info/help you get from proper accomplished growers is invaluable to me. You've got to be open minded in order to learn anything..
    TLS

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Soul View Post
    Good man, Blue. Thank you for clearing that up. Controlling the temps is no probs when the ambient temp is right so I'll be pumping it up to 600w whenever possible.
    My mate grows and he thought that the change would stress/hermit the plants out but he's self taught and doesn't have the means to switch between light strengths.
    Tried telling him about THCTalk but it's fallen on deaf ears.
    Ever since 2009 when I joined, this is the only site I've ever used and will be the only site I ever use. The info/help you get from proper accomplished growers is invaluable to me. You've got to be open minded in order to learn anything..
    TLS
    The only way a change in light would stress the plants would be to alter the colour spectrum. So if your switching from a duel spec or hps mid flower to a blue spectrum MH bulb then yes the plants will become stressed. Another one would be to crank up your current light to its maximum setting and not keep the temps within range.

I will point out though, that if your dimming your current 600 bulb then dim no further than 400w and bare in mind dimming regular will reduce the bulbs life span. If your wanting to dim to 250w then changing the bulb to 250w would be a better option.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

autobox (19-06-17), The Lost Soul (10-06-17)

Thanks

Sound. Cheers. I have all bulbs by the same manufacturer in the same spectrum. I'll dim when it's appropriate and change when necessary.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,883 Times

The plants will just treat it as a sunnier day than previously... just like nature intended
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Buster (10-06-17), ggotch (10-06-17), The Lost Soul (10-06-17)