Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heat Stress and Hermies

Thanks

Default Heat Stress and Hermies

it all started so well with 10 sunk #1 and 5 super skunk feminised seeds from sensi seed bank. To my utter delight all 15 seeds germinated under a 125 cfl blue lamp but I couldnt leave it alone , I brought my lamp too close and light stressed 4 of the skunk #1. As it was just about spring time and not wishing to burn up electricity ruining my grow I decided to move all my plants into my garage, where with the aid of a corrugated clear plastic roof I do all my summer growing. Things started to improved but that was not good enough for me. These plastic corrugated roofs degrade in the sunlight, mine were over 10 years old, so how hard could it be to change a few, just enough to light up the main growing space , which is a work bench and a set of shelves up against the back wall. I got 3 2400 x 1200 sheets from B&Q, picked a fine day and set about changing them, not too bad a job, the old sheets are really brittle, they shatter and scratch your arms but I got three sheets off in the middle. Sadly the manufacturer has subtly changed the profile so my little patch has to become a bigger patch and 3 more sheets have to be bought. Wow lots more light beaming in exactly where I want it, its going to be great year, my plants loved it.

I normally start my plants on the shelf up against the wall as April is not such a warm month and heat rises, things were going well all through April, Super Skunk growing twice as fast as skunk #1 . On 3 rd of May we had a cloudless day, tee shirt weather what a boost couldn't wait to see how my girls were doing. It was hot inside my garage very hot above 40c in the shade and what a mess, a vista of burned and dying plants. Some were complete goners, these included tomatoes and coriander. None of my skunks were completely dead, some looked almost unaffected and the 2 runt plants they looked the best, one of the skunk #1 was basically a stalk with 1 small leaf attached but they all had good roots soIi hoped they would recover. i had to buy tomato plants. I moved the worst affected plants into the shady side of the garage and the healthier ones into the sweet spot I had created with my new roof panels , in this position I had previously grown some monster plants and I never expected 15 plants from 15 seeds, so things are still good, I even had a bag seed plant whichIi put in the garage in the winter and had flowered due to spring equinox.

25 may was another cloudless day and once again devastation has occurred, 4 plants which where just about to go into 12/12 and were in the sweet spot had turned into withered stalks, it looked like a flame thrower had been used, one plant actually died, the rest will take a long time to recover, so I ordered some more seeds. I have renamed the sweet spot as the "death zone" and have become very vigilant where the weather is concerned leaving my plants on the floor of the garage when the sun threatens to come out. I have manged to flower 2 of the super skunks and have another about to go in the 12/12 cycle, the skunk #1 plants are more badly affected and I don't expect to be able to flower them till september.

Its is with further dismay that I have to report that one of my super skunks has gone hermie in its first week of flowering, I had tried to convince myself its was some sort of super bud you only get on skunks, skunk novice you see, but today I got the modelling knife out and castrated all 8 little balls so I hope to salvage something, normally I would have just chopped it but I am in a dead end here.

So what I am wondering is how likely is it that the hermaphrodite was caused by heat stress as apposed to genetics and if it is heat stress will plants that have been left to veg for a long period after the hot event recover and not turn out hermie.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

Admiral (10-06-17), B.A.BARACUS (10-06-17), British green (10-06-17), ERBURT (10-06-17), FunkyB (10-06-17), ggotch (10-06-17), Ironman (10-06-17), joker_the_smoker (10-06-17), M_C (10-06-17), The Lost Soul (10-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,862 Times

Whoops 😑

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to B.A.BARACUS For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (10-06-17), Ironman (10-06-17), The Lost Soul (10-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,306 Times

15 sounds like personal use lol

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Admiral For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (10-06-17), Ironman (10-06-17), The Lost Soul (10-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,968 Times

Haha! Aye.....an ounce a day for 3 months......heavy duty tooty fruity

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Lost Soul For This Useful Post:

BB (10-06-17), Bud Lightyear (10-06-17), ggotch (10-06-17), Ironman (10-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Soul View Post
    Haha! Aye.....an ounce a day for 3 months......heavy duty tooty fruity
    Easily achieved with less than 10 plants
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

BB (10-06-17), Bud Lightyear (10-06-17), ERBURT (10-06-17), ggotch (10-06-17), happyjack (10-06-17), Ironman (10-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,968 Times

If I ever get to that point.....I'll be a happy chappy!!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Lost Soul For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (10-06-17), ERBURT (10-06-17), ggotch (10-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Lightyear View Post
    Here since 2008 with 600 posts and still don't know the site rules...Un feckin belivable

Regards BL
    I really dont understand what the problem is, I am growing on a very small scale and expect to get small yields of my plants much less than an once each, i also expect to loose about half my plants to low germination rates and plants being male. In my garage I also have 2 motorcycles and a kayak as well as tomato plants and some edible herbs, so it is no way a commercial setup. I had not posted on this site for many years and was looking for some help as things are going hopelessly wrong, I never expected to get banned for no given reason. i am beginning to suspect i have been banned for saying I started with 15 plants, i didnt realise that was instant ban stuff, unlike what i am doing now which is opening a second account, i know this is wrong but i am already banned . I think you've been too hard on me.

captainzep

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,862 Times

Rules are rules & you should of known better... End of.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to B.A.BARACUS For This Useful Post:

British green (11-06-17), Bud Lightyear (10-06-17), ERBURT (10-06-17), Ironman (10-06-17), joker_the_smoker (10-06-17), M_C (10-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    i am beginning to suspect i have been banned for saying I started with 15 plants, i didnt realise that was instant ban stuff, unlike what i am doing now which is opening a second account, i know this is wrong but i am already banned . I think you've been too hard on me.

captainzep
    The ten plant rule was introduced at the sites conception...

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (11-06-17), Bud Lightyear (10-06-17), ERBURT (10-06-17), Ironman (10-06-17)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast