Thread: My first Grow - All comments appreciated

Thanks

Default My first Grow - All comments appreciated

Hi all

I registered last week after lurking for a short while since planning my first grow. Things are now in place (I think) and I would really appreciate
    any and all comments on my proposed indoor grow. This includes the grow room (cupboard) and the horticultural aspect. I will be starting a diary shortly but I don't have enough posts to show photos yet.

So, here we go....

Grow Room / Environment
    Stealth & security is a big consideration for me (wife and kids). I don't have anywhere for a tent so I have improvised (inspired by a book by Ed Rosenthal):
    - Bisley stationery cabinet (1.0m x 0.4m x 1.0m) converted from storage to a grow cabinet. I've spent two years filling this and my workshop with crap, so my wife has very little interest in its contents (it's also lockable)
    - lined with reflective insulation (my workshop is very cool and maintaining temps during lights off periods is tricky
    - 300W full spectrum LED light (Bestva), 16/8 lighting hours (Is that sensible for an Auto? Can I reduce it to 12/12?)
    - 100mm Rhino filter, Systemair fan and foil ducting
    - Passive air intake for now. The cabinet is leaky so getting air in is not a problem
    - 2 x 4inch clip on fans for circulation
    - Lumii timers for lighting, and fans
    There is a lot less space left in the cabinet after installing all of this than I imagined. I think it is still viable though.

Plants
    - Given the small grow space I have am only growing two plants. Started germination in wet kitchen paper on Saturday PM, both popped and nice tap root by Monday PM, Two lovely little seedlings looking nice and green by Thursday PM
    - Auto, Red Dwarf
    - Auto, Royal Dwarf
    - I'm thinking that I will also do a SCROG to try and get more out of the space. Do you think this is too ambitious for a first grow?

Medium
    - Soil: Trying to go organic. I am used to preparing hot soils for all my other plants and I read a great article on the Talk here with a soil mix that suited me, so I'm incorporating some of that. so I have prepared a mix as follows; Mulit-purp compost, stable manure, Worm castings, Perlite, bat guano, Fish Blood & Bone, Trace Elements,
    - This mix has been cooking nicely in my greenhouse for the last 3 weeks
    - 9 litre airpots, filled 3/4 with soil and final 1/4 with multipurp/perlite

I'm currently holding a temp of 23C with lights on but temps are falling to 18/19 during the day with lights off, so I will probably need to get a small tube heater.

I've probably missed many things so I'd really appreciate any comments so please hit me up....

Many thanks

Rapido

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

push your lighting to at least 18/6 mate, you'll get a better result..

Oh, you can't really scrog autos... LST them instead
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

OakyShades (15-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    push your lighting to at least 18/6 mate, you'll get a better result..

Oh, you can't really scrog autos... LST them instead
    Thanks M_C. I'm not familiar with LST. Please can you give me a quick description. Many thanks.

Rapido

Thanks

Take a look here for all about LST - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...e-L-S-T-thread

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

OakyShades (15-06-17)

Thanks

Take a look here for all about LST - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...e-L-S-T-thread
    Thanks again. That's a great article. I'll get stuck in.

Rapido

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OakyShades For This Useful Post:

M_C (15-06-17)

Thanks

Any other comments or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Rapido

Thanks

Just a thought... your cabinet is 1m tall. How far is the recommended distance between your LED & plants?

Thanks

Just a thought... your cabinet is 1m tall. How far is the recommended distance between your LED & plants?
    Good question. I think it was one foot but I'll check. Put it this way, anymore than 1ft and I've got no room to grow!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OakyShades For This Useful Post:

M_C (15-06-17)

Thanks

Good luck mate, I've had 300w led panels awful close to plants in the past without too much trouble, worry you might get caught out by lack of height during flowering stretch, anyway you can get a tent with a wee bit more head room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to swansneck For This Useful Post:

OakyShades (16-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swansneck View Post
    Good luck mate, I've had 300w led panels awful close to plants in the past without too much trouble, worry you might get caught out by lack of height during flowering stretch, anyway you can get a tent with a wee bit more head room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate. I'll see how I get on with the distances. I'm stuck with the height limit as I am growing in a cabinet so I will have to be as creative and diligent with the stem training as possible. I'm going to start with some Bendz and the continue training the stems as I go. I'll start a diary soon.