Thread: Autos - potting on mistake

Thanks

Default Autos - potting on mistake

Hi tokers

I made a bit of a mistake with my first Auto grow and started the seedlings off in small pots that I was then going to pot up into 9L air pots.
    I now realise that I should have stared these in the final pots.

Do you think I should pot them on now, or wait a few days (a week?) until they are bigger? I was thinking of doing it now so hopefully minimising stress.

Grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks

Rapido

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OakyShades For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,876 Times

There will be no root structure to hold things together if you repot now, give them another week or so....
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-06-17), ggotch (23-06-17), OakyShades (23-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    There will be no root structure to hold things together if you repot now, give them another week or so....
    Thanks M_C. Good point.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OakyShades For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-06-17), M_C (23-06-17)

Thanks

Sorry guys newbie question, why does it matter that they were started in small pots to then be transferred? I was under the illusion that if they were in big pots from the start there's a higher chance of over watering. Is it better to start off in your final pots?
    Cheers folks.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PandaMatt For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-06-17), OakyShades (24-06-17)

Viz Guest

With Auto plants it is normally best to start them in their final post. The reason why is because Auto's have a limited vegetation period and change to flower independent of any action from the grower. This means there is less recovery time due to stress caused by changes such as re-potting. However potting from seedling type container into the final pot is not critical. The plants will be fine.

Watering. Over watering in big pots is not really an issue either. It all depends on how you water, and of course your medium. Soil does require that you water with more diligence. How I do it is very simple. First up I water around the outsides of the pot. I want the roots to search for the water, making them work to find the moisture means that the roots will be more developed, so I do not water on or right near to the plant stem. Once watered I leave the pots and will only water again once I can stick my finger up till the second knuckle and not find moist soil. Ensure the bottom has good drainage, there is nothing worse than having a dry top of a pot and damp soggy standing water for the bottom of the pot (and the roots) to stagnate in. So place lifts under your pot to ensure proper draining.

Good luck.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-06-17), OakyShades (24-06-17), PandaMatt (24-06-17), rizla_C (24-06-17), Stirl_420_SA (24-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,740 Times

This is the type of question that will always be down to preference. For instance, I always start my autos off in 1 litre pots & then, after 10 days, pot up to 20 litre pots to finish off in. Others will say that you should start them off in the final pots. In your case, I would follow what M_C has said & wait a week for the roots to fill the pot more, or you could cause some damage to the roots.

"Bees don't waste time explaining to flies why honey is better than shit."

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-06-17), OakyShades (24-06-17), PandaMatt (24-06-17), rizla_C (24-06-17)

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation Viz 🖒 I fully understand now, I didn't even consider it being down to a shortened recovery time due to a faster cycle.
    The knowledge and help of people on here is priceless.
    Happy Growing.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PandaMatt For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-06-17), OakyShades (24-06-17), rizla_C (24-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PandaMatt View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Viz �� I fully understand now, I didn't even consider it being down to a shortened recovery time due to a faster cycle.
    The knowledge and help of people on here is priceless.
    Happy Growing.

Totally agree. That's why I love this forum. So much to learn and people are are very happy to share knowledge.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OakyShades For This Useful Post:

PandaMatt (24-06-17), rizla_C (24-06-17)