Thread: Cannabis more often detected in workers than any other drugs - New Zealand Herald

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,184 Times

Default Cannabis more often detected in workers than any other drugs - New Zealand Herald

Cannabis more often detected in workers than any other drugs
    New Zealand Herald
    Cannabis is still the most common drug ''by a country mile'' found when staff are tested, farmers attending a workshop in Ashburton last week heard. Therese Gibbens, general manager of the Canterbury West Coast area for The Drug Detection Agency, said ...

More...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Inky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,876 Times

Yadda, yadda, yadda...

Could the answer be that it is a urine test that will show cannabis history for a lot longer than crack cocaine, heroin or LSD?

It ain't really a drugs test at that point, it's a formal invasion of privacy! after all, if Fred, the farmer, had a spliff 4 days ago, does any reasonably minded person really think it would affect their performance/judgement after all that time? Therese Gibbens obviously does, that's why she is general manager for a company that pushes urine testing for drugs!

Let's put this another way...

Urine testing doesn't test for impairment from drugs, it doesn't test if you are under the influence of drugs... it just tests for metabolites... Test out the theory if you wish! Find a non smoker, give them the biggest joint you can roll of the strongest stuff you have... when they are 'mashed out their face' then urine test them - and they will pass! (bet you all didn't know that!) - but they will fail the next day!

Urine testing isn't fit for purpose!
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (26-06-17), Donmitch0121 (26-06-17), dougthehead (26-06-17), GEORGE (26-06-17), Greengrass (26-06-17), Ironman (26-06-17), OakyShades (26-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Yadda, yadda, yadda...

Could the answer be that it is a urine test that will show cannabis history for a lot longer than crack cocaine, heroin or LSD?

It ain't really a drugs test at that point, it's a formal invasion of privacy! after all, if Fred, the farmer, had a spliff 4 days ago, does any reasonably minded person really think it would affect their performance/judgement after all that time? Therese Gibbens obviously does, that's why she is general manager for a company that pushes urine testing for drugs!

Let's put this another way...

Urine testing doesn't test for impairment from drugs, it doesn't test if you are under the influence of drugs... it just tests for metabolites... Test out the theory if you wish! Find a non smoker, give them the biggest joint you can roll of the strongest stuff you have... when they are 'mashed out their face' then urine test them - and they will pass! (bet you all didn't know that!) - but they will fail the next day!

Urine testing isn't fit for purpose!
    I get tested regularly for my line of work and they are only interested if I'm under the influence and not a user . I don't work nor drive under the influence of anything other than money 😃

Sent from a green pleasant land

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

BB (26-06-17), GEORGE (26-06-17), Greengrass (26-06-17), Ironman (26-06-17), M_C (26-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by British green View Post
    I get tested regularly for my line of work and they are only interested if I'm under the influence and not a user . I don't work nor drive under the influence of anything other than money 
    A mouth swab or blood test I assume then?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (26-06-17), GEORGE (26-06-17), Greengrass (26-06-17)

Thanks

A mouth swab or blood test I assume then?
    Mouth swab and I've refused blood and urine tests on the grounds that it's a invasion of my privacy and told them I have hiv but would not want this disclosing in public. They backed the fuck away from me . Lol . I'm a trained first aidder and trained as a medic . I wouldn't refuse anyone any help under the same terms. Knowledge is power 😃

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

dougthehead (26-06-17), Greengrass (26-06-17), Ironman (26-06-17), M_C (26-06-17)

Thanks

I think a mouth test is more than fair, after all, are they after people under the influence, or are they invading your 'right to a private life'? (as enshrined in the Human Right Act).

I'd have no issue providing a swab, as that would show the current 'state of play' with drugs, as a breathalyser would with alcohol. But I think urine tests are invading a persons personal life & are no more than a means to 'snoop' on someone outside of the workplace.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (26-06-17), Donmitch0121 (26-06-17), Greengrass (26-06-17), Ironman (26-06-17)

Thanks

I think a mouth test is more than fair, after all, are they after people under the influence, or are they invading your 'right to a private life'? (as enshrined in the Human Right Act).

I'd have no issue providing a swab, as that would show the current 'state of play' with drugs, as a breathalyser would with alcohol. But I think urine tests are invading a persons personal life & are no more than a means to 'snoop' on someone outside of the workplace.
    It's all about big brother and profile building. I'm happy to be tested under the same regs as a breathalyser and would always give a sample. You wanna look into my private life you might as well come for tea uninvited 😃.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

Donmitch0121 (26-06-17), Greengrass (26-06-17), Ironman (26-06-17), M_C (26-06-17)

Thanks

Without going into full details, they tried to bring in random drug testing (using urine) at work

My question to them was:-

'On Monday I go to Amsterdam for a dirty couple of days with the wife, we get hammered on cannabis, we return on Wednesday. I drive to work on Friday & get roadside drug tested by the police (for whatever reason)' - at this point, HR interjected to say how very accurate the police roadside tests are... I continue.... '& I would pass that drug test. I arrive at work and have a random urine test, I would fail that... How does that work?' - Silence!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (27-06-17), ggotch (26-06-17), Greengrass (26-06-17), OakyShades (26-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,849 Times

they should test the goverment daily i reckon,theyll find worse than erb floating round their tiny little brains.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggotch For This Useful Post:

M_C (26-06-17), OakyShades (26-06-17)