Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DWC and RDWC, testing your rez water

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by British green View Post
    Air pump decent air stone pumping air through the water air by the way carries oxygen. Job done and like trex say weekly res changes job done. I've grown for over twenty years in dwc buckets nft trays etc etc and never measured DO and if so henrys law has to be accounted for which if understood there's only a small amount of DO trapped in any amount of water as it's a natural process for it to come back out . Think more out of the box and start thinking about supplying oxygen to your water than dissolving it .

Sent from a green pleasant land
    Yes, it’s true, air does contain a little bit of oxygen in the mixture of gases, but air is 4/5ths nitrogen gas contrary to popular belief. Nitrogen is inert, a filler gas.

Hmmm, apply Henry’s Law and start thinking out of the box hey. Good idea, applied chemistry.

Chillers are used to chill water, chilled water holds slightly more DO at colder water temps than warmer water with no roots, microbes or aerobes in that water consuming oxygen says the DO chart. The DO chart is based on air, air is a mixture of gases 79% nitrogen and 20.9% O2 and change, the partial pressure of O2 in air is 159 mm/hg at sea level, no more no less regardless of how much air goes through a bubbler, regardless of the bubble size a bubbler or diffused makes. I believe that’s still correct.

OK, now I’m thinking out of the box a bit as you suggested… what do think would happen if the water temp is constant 80% F and the partial pressure of O2 in air is increased from 159 mm/hg up to 275 mm/hg and that gas bubbled into the res water constantly, of course using Henry’s Law but modifying O2 gas partial pressure, not water temp achieving the goal of DO Saturation.

Henry’s law is cool, fun to play around with to achieve dissolved gas goals in different ways, manipulate water temps, salinity, gas tensions, barometric pressure... to achieve optimal DO saturations at warmer water temperatures. And never have to listen to a chiller running again albeit water chillers and the electricity to run them is really quiet cheap and not very costly at all.

Just thinking out of the box playing with Henry's Law.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

It just means you like to over complicate shit . Throw air stone in and job done

3. The Following User Says Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

bigbadbillybob (30-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,700 Times

if you wanted optimal DO, your water temperature would be zero degrees, and your plants, bennies etc wont thank you for that.
    Keep it simple.
    most peoples results would impprove by a much greater degree if they learned how to feed and read their plants imo.and optimising environment.
    DO levels dont really effect the output in my experience, as long as you have "enough" %

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bigbadbillybob For This Useful Post:

British green (30-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbillybob View Post
    if you wanted optimal DO, your water temperature would be zero degrees, and your plants, bennies etc wont thank you for that.
    Keep it simple.
    most peoples results would impprove by a much greater degree if they learned how to feed and read their plants imo.and optimising environment.
    DO levels dont really effect the output in my experience, as long as you have "enough" %
    According to the DO Chart (air exposure), water temperature 0 C, DO saturation @ 100% @ close to 15 PPM DO concentration would definitely be considered the optimal DO I would think.

I have never thought this far out of the box using Henry’s Law considered chilling rez water down to 0 C degrees to achieve “optimal DO.” Doesn’t sound logical or practical to me, but it is a thought that is out of the box so to speak and Henrys Law and the DO Chart would support this as factual I believe.

“DO levels dont really effect the output in my experience, as long as you have "enough" % “

Keeping it simple is great. You lost me here so what does “enough” % mean? No disrespect intended, I just missed the simplicity. Thanks for clarifying what you mean.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Henryj View Post
    According to the DO Chart (air exposure), water temperature 0 C, DO saturation @ 100% @ close to 15 PPM DO concentration would definitely be considered the optimal DO I would think.

I have never thought this far out of the box using Henry’s Law considered chilling rez water down to 0 C degrees to achieve “optimal DO.” Doesn’t sound logical or practical to me, but it is a thought that is out of the box so to speak and Henrys Law and the DO Chart would support this as factual I believe.

“DO levels dont really effect the output in my experience, as long as you have "enough" % “

Keeping it simple is great. You lost me here so what does “enough” % mean? No disrespect intended, I just missed the simplicity. Thanks for clarifying what you mean.
    It doesn't come simpler chuck a air stone in it that's connected to working air pump job done. You yourself are over complicating this

8. The Following User Says Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

Trex (30-06-17)

Bulls Guest

All I see written in here is DO.
    Life's so simple. Wonder why we make it so complicated?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bulls For This Useful Post:

British green (30-06-17), ggotch (14-07-17), Trex (30-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bulls View Post
    All I see written in here is DO.
    Life's so simple. Wonder why we make it so complicated?
    I love the simplicity of life bulls and don't understand why people want to make it over complicated 😃

12. The Following User Says Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

Trex (30-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

also if you want extra oxygen , use hydrogen peroxide ,or chlorine in small amounts ,lets say 4ppm , as they are both oxydizers and in small doses wont harm the plants .

Sent from the Land of Fuck OFF !!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

British green (30-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    also if you want extra oxygen , use hydrogen peroxide ,or chlorine in small amounts ,lets say 4ppm , as they are both oxydizers and in small doses wont harm the plants .

Sent from the Land of Fuck OFF !!
    Your participation has been enlightening for me to say the least. I do appreciate all your cooperation, insight and opinions you have offered up. I have learned a lot in 2 short days. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2