Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DWC and RDWC, testing your rez water

Thanks

Default DWC and RDWC, testing your rez water

THE BIG QUESTION
    What in the world you do if you tested the DO in your rez water and discovered that your DO is way too low, not safe and everything in your rez water was suffocating?

Would you punt, hope and pray, make teas or fix the low DO problem and urgently increase your DO up to a safe range? And who in the world really knows what the safe DO range is anyway?

Some growers claim that rez water temp is very important – you got to buy a thermometer and test the water temp.
    Others claim the rez water pH is really important too, you got to buy a pH meter and use it.
    There’s a big crowd that claim you got to buy a water chiller, got to keep the rez water temp 65F to 70F, you got to buy a water chiller and use it throughout months of the growing season.

And if you do that, well that cold chilled water will insure plenty dissolved oxygen in your rez water because the DO chart proves it. And maintaining minimal safe DO is very important for the root balls, the Bennies to thrive and to prevent fungal infestations that come to eat dead and dying roots.

MORE QUESTIONS
    So, cutting to the chase now, do you really believe that insuring minimal safe DO is really all that important in rez your water for the root balls and Bennies to thrive and to prevent them from suffocating?

If minimal safe DO is really that big of a deal for aerobic plants and microbes in DWC pot grows, do any of you ever actually test the DO in your rez water?

What do you use to test the DO with? And how often do you test the DO in a DWC pot grow?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

DO ,what you mean by that ?

Sent from the Land of Fuck OFF !!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    DO ,what you mean by that ?

Dissolved Oxygen.

And I don't test for it yet, but mainly down to the cost of the equipment to do so.

That's not to say the DO level in water isn't hugely important, but one method of propagation is to just stick a cutting of a plant in glass of water on the windowsill and change the water every day, you change the water to replace the oxygen, and if you don't change the water the plant dies pretty quickly.
    Yet my bubbler pots don't need the water changing for weeks.

That's enough proof for me know that DO level in water makes a huge difference.

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...aze-Coco-Scrog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

British green (30-06-17)

Thanks

ohhh ok , as long as there arenair stones in it youll be golden , ph 5.5/5.9 veg 6.0/6.2 flower .

as for water temps , if you have hydroguard or, bacillus or lacto bac youll be able to swing them temps higher , add silicone and its even more stable .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

British green (30-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomKing View Post
    Dissolved Oxygen.

And I don't test for it yet, but mainly down to the cost of the equipment to do so.

That's not to say the DO level in water isn't hugely important, but one method of propagation is to just stick a cutting of a plant in glass of water on the windowsill and change the water every day, you change the water to replace the oxygen, and if you don't change the water the plant dies pretty quickly.
    Yet my bubbler pots don't need the water changing for weeks.

That's enough proof for me know that DO level in water makes a huge difference.

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...aze-Coco-Scrog
    Actually some growers have heard if dissolved oxygen, but most have no idea about what it really is nor the vital importance of maintaining a constant “safe” DO saturation throughout months of the growing season. Most folks believe that air and Oxygen is the same gas… like plenty air bubbles insures plenty DO. After all, the DO Charts are popular and they are accurate for air exposure.

DO Testing is quiet cheap and accurate: *NO LINKS ALLOWED*
    But, $0.46 per DO test is not cheap nor is this water quality test free either.

Probably better not to think about… “THE BIG QUESTION”
    What in the world you do if you tested the DO in your rez water and discovered that your DO is way too low, not safe and everything in your rez water was suffocating?
    Last edited by B.A.BARACUS; 29-06-17 at 07:30 AM.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,700 Times

if your DO is too low, to the point that your plant roots were suffocating, it would be glaringly obvious., just looking in the pot
    The only scenario i can see that happening is if your airpump packed in completely, because they dont need that much to survive.

Its possible for them to survive and thrive with just a water pump splashing on to the surface of the water.
    Its all about water movement and disrupting the surface tension of the water, to get good DO.
    Diffusers are also better than airstones because the bubbles are generally smaller, therfore they have more surface area when breaking the surface.

Its also possible to have too much DO, which will adversely affect the roots, but this is rarely achieved. even using multiple diffusers or airstones, but if you did use so many, your ph would be all over the shop,and your roots would be battered beyond recognition so again, it would be fairly obvious. the roots would struggle to uptake nutrient and develop properly if they were getting constantly bombarded by a huge airpump/ stones - ive tried this in the past on the basis that more is better, but it really isnt. my best results were with a smaller airpump, 2 airstones and a 30 litre tote.

change the nutes every 7-10 daays and ensure a constant supply of airand you wont fail.

just my tuppence
    Last edited by bigbadbillybob; 29-06-17 at 08:08 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bigbadbillybob For This Useful Post:

British green (30-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbillybob View Post
    if your DO is too low, to the point that your plant roots were suffocating... to get good DO. Its also possible to have too much DO, which will adversely affect the roots...
    Thanks.
    if your DO is too low, - what DO do you consider “to low?”
    Its also possible to have too much DO – what DO do you consider “to much oxygen?”
    to get good DO. – what DO do you consider “good DO?”

Have you ever actually really tested the DO in your res water to see if the DO is good, low or high? Seems to me that a insuring a continuous high DO would be far better than a low DO inviting suffocation, root rot and fungal outbreaks.
    Personally, I would consider 100% - 120% DO saturation within the “safe range” provided this DO is sustained through the total growing period.

Yes, I do test DO, I know how important insuring a safe DO is for the roots and Bennies and how easy it is to be careless and deal with fungal infestations when you fail to insure safe DO’s.

Admin --- Thanks for the heads up on the forum rules. I have read the forums rules again and signed off on them X 2 in 2 days now. I am not a salesman, do not sell anything nor do I spam, but on this post I do ask questions about water quality, testing water quality and insuring water quality and other things.

If Admin has a problem with questions about water quality, DO, discussion/opinions, please advise that you do not allow this, but I saw nothing in the rules prohibiting this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Henryj For This Useful Post:

Trex (29-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,700 Times

Well im no scientist , and i have never tested my DO to give a reading, like say 80%, because i dont own a DO meter, but i DO know what works with my plants.
    I will try and clarify my findings, as best i can -and......Im not trying to be awkward, but how am i supposed to explain "too low" without something to measure it against. I will say that if there is iinsufficient surface water movement, then its too low, but that doesnt help, because i cant say, if its 20% or whatever, but it will be obvious if you read your plants and thier roots.
    As fot too much, well if you put a 100 litre per minute airpump into a 40 litre tote it will be too much because the huge amount of bubbles produced will batter the roots to bits.
    Its not scientific - its common sense.
    I also think that there is really no need to measure DO unless either a) you have problems with your plants that cant be put down to the usual suspects, or you have a DO meter and a lot of time on your hands.
    I would also add that temperature of the root zone is of far more importance than DO, ensuring the roots and bennies thrive, as long as there is suffuicient DO of course
    Ive never had any form of fungal infestation in my res or pots, but thats probably because
    a) i run a sterile system, and bleach out my pots, pipes, pumps etc after every run.
    b) i run a chiller for the res, keeping the res temperatures in range
    c) i change my water out regularly, well, when im not too baked lol.
    d) i NEVER put anything organic through the system.

all i can say, is that this has worked for me, for the past number of years without any problems.
    I also think its very easy to try and over analyse these things. if it works, where is the problem?
    Last edited by bigbadbillybob; 29-06-17 at 05:53 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigbadbillybob For This Useful Post:

British green (29-06-17), Trex (29-06-17)

Thanks

yes chsnge water on a weekly basis and no problem will occur . no need to overthunk and complicate things for nothhin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

British green (29-06-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Default DWC and RDWC, testing your rez water

Air pump decent air stone pumping air through the water air by the way carries oxygen. Job done and like trex say weekly res changes job done. I've grown for over twenty years in dwc buckets nft trays etc etc and never measured DO and if so henrys law has to be accounted for which if understood there's only a small amount of DO trapped in any amount of water as it's a natural process for it to come back out . Think more out of the box and start thinking about supplying oxygen to your water than dissolving it .

Sent from a green pleasant land

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

BritishBotanics (30-06-17), Trex (30-06-17)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast