Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tropical fish

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,676 Times

Default Tropical fish

Does anyone keep tropical fish?

I'm hoping some of you fellow stoners keep tropical fish and can help me out a little, pics to follow.

I went to the local fish shop and he gave me about 6 baby fish just to see if the water is stable and I'm not getting a nitrate spike, I need to wait 6 weeks before adding other fish apparently while the algae and everything builds up.
    It's the gravel cleaning and everything that I'm totally clueless on though.
    I know I need to clean my filter once every couple of weeks in the tank water but I'm a total noob when it comes to all this, any help or even pics of your aquarium and different fish would be awesome, thanks.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hippy Crack For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-07-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,887 Times

This sound right up Clunge's street
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

ERBURT (09-07-17), GEORGE (08-07-17), Hippy Crack (08-07-17), joker_the_smoker (08-07-17)

Thanks

You can barely see the fish, they are tiny and some are hiding.
    They will prob take a few years to grow so that will be really nice over time to watch them develop and the tank become alive and colourful, loving the real life plant too, I'm going to get one for the other side and get the plastic ones out, leave somewhere for the fish to hide

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hippy Crack For This Useful Post:

ERBURT (09-07-17), GEORGE (08-07-17)

Keeno Guest

Morning Dick,

As far as cleaning gravel...A gravel vac is a great tool, they are cheap. Your gravel will start to build beneficial bacteria over time, same as your filter. Regular vacuuming of the gravel, especially early on will help as atm the filter wont have a healthy bacteria colony that will break down the waste produced by the fish and any left over food. Removing this extra waste will keep your numbers in a better place until your filter is able to deal with it. Weekly will also mean that less food/waste items wont work there way down deep into your gravel.

Looking at your tank i believe you just have a sponge filter, very important that when cleaning this you do not use tap water, chlorine will kill your beneficial bacteria. When its time to give your filter a clean, remove some water from your tank and clean it in that.

Love the tank mate, you may need to add some co2 and plant food as your live plant is growing in gravel alone. It may be ok, as plants are cheap its no biggy.
    Last edited by Keeno; 08-07-17 at 08:57 AM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keeno For This Useful Post:

British green (09-07-17), GEORGE (08-07-17), Hippy Crack (10-07-17), joker_the_smoker (08-07-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keeno View Post
    Morning Dick,

As far as cleaning gravel...A gravel vac is a great tool, they are cheap. Your gravel will start to build beneficial bacteria over time, same as your filter. Regular vacuuming of the gravel, especially early on will help as atm the filter wont have a healthy bacteria colony that will break down the waste produced by the fish and any left over food. Removing this extra waste will keep your numbers in a better place until your filter is able to deal with it. Weekly will also mean that less food/waste items wont work there way down deep into your gravel.

Looking at your tank i believe you just have a sponge filter, very important that when cleaning this you do not use tap water, chlorine will kill your beneficial bacteria. When its time to give your filter a clean, remove some water from your tank and clean it in that.

Love the tank mate, you may need to add some co2 and plant food as your live plant is growing in gravel alone. It may be ok, as plants are cheap its no biggy.
    Hi Keeno thanks for the reply, so I'm using the gravel vac once a week, I'm totally clueless, does this vac over the top of the gravel or actually vac the gravel up and then I have to clean it?
    And how often the filter?
    And should I be replacing any of the water ever?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hippy Crack For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-07-17), joker_the_smoker (08-07-17)

Keeno Guest

Yes mate, use it once per week, same time as you do a weekly water change. Weekly water changes should be a minimum 25%, as your filter is new up to 50% some weeks would be good. I also recommend 1-2 small plecs, there are a few species available, pets at home normally have some. They are algae eaters, as you have ornaments in there they will help keep these clean and your glass, they are cool little fish. If buying from pets at home tell them you have a large empty tank, maybe 3x2 foot as they will come out with bollocks about x fish per liter even though they sell tanks that by there rules wouldn't allow any fish.

The vac isnt strong, there are different ones available, most you just run over the the gravel and it will suck loose stuff up but not the gravel. The gravel may also start to take on algae, again the small plecs will keep the whole tank cleaner. They are cheap fish, be careful as some get big. have a google to see what ones stay smallish, ebay sellers have some very pretty ones but p[ostage is normally quite expensive. They are really cool to watch as well. They dont normally swim about the tank, there are many youtube vids. Also a couple of tropical snails will move around the tank eating algae. These are also cool, dont do much but will take a lot of work out of it for you.

Cleaning your filter...i would do it every 4 to 6 weeks, unless you notice it need it before or smelly water. it will take some time to build the bacteria colony you are after, they will eventually allow you to clean the filter a lot less, literally eating the wast and other nasties in your tank. The reason i say every 4-6 weeks is every time you clean it, even with de-chlorinated tank water you will disturb and kill some of the bacteria you are trying to grow. When cleaning the sponges or any other media you are not trying to get it shiny clean, you want to gently remove the built up grime, so no roughly squeezing or scrubbing. i find it best to fill a large bowl/tub with tank water (best time to to this is when doing a water change) and gently agitate the foam/media.

Are you using a de-chlorinate liquid when adding fresh water?

What are the fish you already have?

Do you have test strips to monitor the condition of your water?
    Last edited by Keeno; 08-07-17 at 01:30 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Keeno For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-07-17), Hippy Crack (10-07-17), joker_the_smoker (08-07-17)

Thanks

My tank mate 3.5ft, I'm hoping to get a 6ft soon. Keeno has offered a lot of advice but if you're struggling with ote giz a shout 🖒👊

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PandaMatt For This Useful Post:

Hippy Crack (10-07-17)

Thanks

And bullshit pal you don't need to wait 6 weeks for your water to balance I don't know where they've had that from 🖒

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PandaMatt For This Useful Post:

Hippy Crack (10-07-17)

Keeno Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PandaMatt View Post
    And bullshit pal you don't need to wait 6 weeks for your water to balance I don't know where they've had that from ��

Lovely tank mate. Totally agree, ive never cycled a tank before adding fish. Larger weekly water changes at first take care of all that. Really miss my tanks, after this thread ive been on ebay looking at them missus would break my neck it i did buy another though.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Keeno For This Useful Post:

ERBURT (09-07-17), Hippy Crack (10-07-17)

Thanks

I once had a shark but I let it loose in Keston !

Shut the box !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast