Thread: Roots dying and the dreaded root fungi

Thanks

Default Roots dying and the dreaded root fungi

I know that vast majority of growers here take excellent care if their plants and never have any roots die nor catch any root fungal infestations. But some growers don’t and have big problems.
    Have any of you ever has a dose of the root fungus in your roots?

I am interested in the less fortunate who actually have 1st hand experience with dead roots and fungi.
    If you are one of the few less fortunates and you have had the root rot and could not prevent this fungal disease,

***what do you think actually killed your roots and caused your fungal disease breakout?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Henryj For This Useful Post:

British green (08-07-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

High res temps have been the only reason I've ever had root rot and I've said enough is enough and now follow trex's and reds advice and use the hydroguard lactobacillus

Sent from a green pleasant land

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by British green View Post
    High res temps have been the only reason I've ever had root rot and I've said enough is enough and now follow trex's and reds advice and use the hydroguard lactobacillus

What do you think is so important about chilling water? Of course maintaining a great bacteria culture is important too, but chilled water definitely has a chilling effect of bacterial growth too slowing growth. Chillers are expensive, noisy, dependent on electricity, generate ambient heat require additional operation cost.
    Do you see any problem with keeping room temp/water temp both @ 80F with A/C.
    Seems more logical to me that 80F would increase metabolism of roots and bacteria making both more efficient, no?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

I know in dwc 18degress is the optimum temp but that's a sterile res . I've never used chillers and have no experience using them . All I know is high water temps say above 22degress and I would get root rot and the water would start to smell. I've only just been introduced to the lactobacillus bacteria and I'm using hydroguard lactobacillus until I can make my own . This has made a big difference to me plants in the hot weather and high res temps. Reds is actually testing the temps and seeing how far/high he can push them using the lactobacillus bacteria. I'm keeping a eye on the highest he can go . It will be interesting

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

TomKing (10-07-17), Trex (18-07-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by British green View Post
    I know in dwc 18degress is the optimum temp but that's a sterile res . I've never used chillers and have no experience using them . All I know is high water temps say above 22degress and I would get root rot and the water would start to smell. I've only just been introduced to the lactobacillus bacteria and I'm using hydroguard lactobacillus until I can make my own . This has made a big difference to me plants in the hot weather and high res temps. Reds is actually testing the temps and seeing how far/high he can push them using the lactobacillus bacteria. I'm keeping a eye on the highest he can go . It will be interesting

Do you have any idea what specie of lactobacillus? Lactobacillus species produce hydrogen peroxide which inhibits the growth and virulence of some fungi too which may be the plus for fungal resistance in hydroponics.
    Optimal growing temperature for many lactobacillus specie is 37C.Warmer water may produce the best growing environment for these bugs.