Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some input from the community polytunnel

Thanks

Default Some input from the community polytunnel

Hi talkers started this thread to hopefully get some input from as many people as I can I am thinking of setting up a polytunnel at top of my garden mostly for veg and summer Flowers but will also have a bed for canna no more than 4 plants ever at any 1 time I am looking for as much advice as I can get with regards t things like setting up solar power intakes/outtakes air flow ect not looking to spend 1000s mabe 2 3 hundred all in I have a lot of bits and bobs all ready cheers

The Healthy Choice ♨

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Welshgorrilla For This Useful Post:

redisiel (16-07-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

jusr remember you get out what you put in mate so on such a budget you are better off reading some books so you can spend the money wisely that would be where I'd start,
    Ruth stout, no work gardening this bitch gives so many handy budget gardening tips and tricks it's unreal .Jeff lowenvels, teaming with microbes wheatger its canna or cacti brother they all rely on the same shit and that's microbiology in my gardening so knowledge yourself with the right books and that shit will run itself.

Blessings
    Redz
    This is the growing side of course but your solar and other stuff more people will chime in but that will be the same as in what happens when we cut corners.
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

happyjack (17-07-17), Welshgorrilla (16-07-17)

Bddonkey Guest

I have seen some diy poly tunnels in the past, scaff bars hammered into the ground with plastic pipes bent & put in the scaff bars. Not going through the whole build but if you are willing to put the effort in you could make a belter

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bddonkey For This Useful Post:

Hobbit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buddonkey View Post
    I have seen some diy poly tunnels in the past, scaff bars hammered into the ground with plastic pipes bent & put in the scaff bars. Not going through the whole build but if you are willing to put the effort in you could make a belter
    These work well, you can use star pickets instead of scaff tubes, also get a good quality poly pipe like they use for farm irrigation probs around 90mm (not sure). You would want to think about which way you want to face it as well to maximise your bed space with the direction of the sun. You may want to have the door's face in certain directions for air flow or to stop cold airflow in winter. Your climate plays a big part in how you set up any igloo mate or garden for that matter Then there is your space and yard layout factors. Have a good chew b4 you get going mate.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

I have toyed with the idea of a greenhouse grow in the summer. If I was retired or at home every day I would give it a go. Thought about putting a black plastic dustbin over the plants to regulate the light. Not sure if it would work just an idea.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi guys should of stated I've been studying bonsai for years been growing the herb since about 08 with a few years gap I have build plenty of poly tunnels in my time (lived on a farm for most of childhood) and they do not cost a lot using pvc pipe and plastic sheets 😆 I've done 50m long tunnels b4 just wanted a bit more info around the electrics m8 found a 24v kit with battery for £150 just not in the no with regards it air flow it's mainly going to house bedding plants and bonsai trees

The Healthy Choice ♨

Hobbit Guest

Think ive answered your question on airflow mate.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

Welshgorrilla (16-07-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Think ive answered your question on airflow mate.
    Hi hobbit cheers for your reply sorry for late reply lost my phone the idea is this 6 scaffolding poles 5ft and buried to 3ft leave 2 ft out ground then use gas pvc pipe gas pipe and cover then I found the pre built one for 80 quid so mite get that and in vest in a decent solar kit

So as long as I no wind direction I should be OK I have good sun get nearly 12 hours direct sun as am high up 🖒

The Healthy Choice ♨

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Welshgorrilla For This Useful Post:

happyjack (17-07-17)

Hobbit Guest

That's the ticket brother. Yeah mate as I said there are many factors to take into account but quite often those factors depend a lot on your available space in the yard. To give you an example I live in a very humid climate through spring summer especially, so for me id be wanting to set it up to catch the summer sea breeze otherwise it would just be a huge fungus box. TBH id be more likely to erect a shade house rather than an igloo as summers are hot and winters are mild. Im sure you get me eh. Id also think about the direction I wanted my beds to catch an even amount of sun across my beds during the day and the crops id want to grow. Then take into account where my shade is in winter as the sun goes lower etc. Weather statistic info is also useful when taking on a project like this. Thats the road you'd take if it was a commercial venture but in the back yard we are always limited by space etc.
    Is that your setup above? Also what would you need the solar Kit for. Seems you have an advantage to a degree on a hill, but remember your gunna get more breeze up there, Im not sure where you live and how cold your winters are but you may want to consider cold winter breezes that want to blow through your tunnel. Even if you close of the ends cold air might leak in. Good luk with it mate hope this gives you a few things to get your thinking cap working.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    That's the ticket brother. Yeah mate as I said there are many factors to take into account but quite often those factors depend a lot on your available space in the yard. To give you an example I live in a very humid climate through spring summer especially, so for me id be wanting to set it up to catch the summer sea breeze otherwise it would just be a huge fungus box. TBH id be more likely to erect a shade house rather than an igloo as summers are hot and winters are mild. Im sure you get me eh. Id also think about the direction I wanted my beds to catch an even amount of sun across my beds during the day and the crops id want to grow. Then take into account where my shade is in winter as the sun goes lower etc. Weather statistic info is also useful when taking on a project like this. Thats the road you'd take if it was a commercial venture but in the back yard we are always limited by space etc.
    Is that your setup above? Also what would you need the solar Kit for. Seems you have an advantage to a degree on a hill, but remember your gunna get more breeze up there, Im not sure where you live and how cold your winters are but you may want to consider cold winter breezes that want to blow through your tunnel. Even if you close of the ends cold air might leak in. Good luk with it mate hope this gives you a few things to get your thinking cap working.
    Lovely info cheers bud 🖒 no not my plot I have a nice open back yard live in UK so weathers unpredictable at best reason for the solar is air flow and temps the temps in my small greenhouse get silly hot with all the direct sun my garden gets in summer and winter can be below 0 for a few days at time in winter so the solar Could mabe help with that ? Looking around 10ft long 8ft high 8ft wide pipe arch design

The Healthy Choice ♨

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Welshgorrilla For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast