Thread: Dual veg+bloom LED - just use 150w Red for flower, or Blue also for 300w?

Thanks

Question Dual veg+bloom LED - just use 150w Red for flower, or Blue also for 300w?

Hello!
    My friend has an LED which I believe is 300watt total (and he said is equiv to ~600w HPS?), and has an equal amount of Blue and Red bulbs, equally distributed, and on/off buttons for both so it can be run as just Blue 150w or just Red 150w, or both for 300w.

My question: Is it better to use only the blue in veg (150w), and only the red in flower (150w),
    OR use both (300w) Red+Blue for veg, and/or Red+Blue (300w) for flower... ???

I already spent over an hour googling before asking this but it's proving to be tricky to search for due to so many related-but-not-answering-my-Q results

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

it wont be equivalent to a 600hps thats for dam sure

as we no plant love the blue in veg and red flower, no harm in running both, a dual spec hps bulb has both and that can be used from start to finish

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

ggotch (28-07-17), winterbeanie (28-07-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,849 Times

any led panel that says 300w on its sticker wont be 300w,itll be 190w at best if its 3w diodes,if its 5w diodes then itll be 150w best.
    youll be able to tell by using a wall socket adapter that monitors wattage from mains socket drawn by whatever is plugged into it.

the only switched 300w led panel ive seen is one designed for a aquarium,if its that one then its Real power is abysmal,youd be better off waving yer blue n red underpants at the plant for all the good itll do.

as for the use of switched led,i personally wouldnt bother switching and would just use it full on in all stages.

if your are pointing it at just new seedlings then yes i have personally switched to just blue on my 450w(200Rw) until seedlings get stronger and you enter proper veg mode.

but you do need to know what power that led is really pumping out,no way is it going to be at 600w hps level,thats just a spin the chinese put out to fool noob buyers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ggotch For This Useful Post:

winterbeanie (28-07-17)

Thanks

I saw Mars on top of the hood and from googling I believe it's something like the "MarsHydro Mars 300W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum", but will try to find out exactly tomorrow

the only switched 300w led panel ive seen
    It seems the Mars brand at least has them up to 1600w?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to winterbeanie For This Useful Post:

ggotch (28-07-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,849 Times

yeah but still be careful,none of them are the number they say on the sticker

i cant find a switchable mars 300w.theyre all fixed/not switchable,if its one of these then they only pull 129w maximum,that equates to one plant at best ime.

its possible its a larger mars unit that gives 300w,theres a couple labeled much higher wattage that could emit 300w i suspect.theyd be labelled ,at a guess,something like 900w perhaps on label.

theres a mars rep on here in their "mars" section,possibly ask them direct.