Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pH Test Strips - which are best for hydro reservoirs?

Thanks

Question pH Test Strips - which are best for hydro reservoirs?

I'm after some suggestions as to which pH test strips to get. (Already have a pen but want to try strips now)

It seems there's a wide variety of different chemical detectors used in pH strips, and some are "for urine/saliva only, not for water testing", and then there are "Low Ion" ones - "Lo Ion Kits give accurate readings in dilute or unbuffered solutions where ""dip and read"" tests may read low."
    I have no idea if I need low ion kit or not! But their 5.0-9.0 one would seem suitable and does come as test strips. I just use tap water, which has no detectable EC on my bluelab truncheon, if that matters.

Does anyone have any suggestions - specifically for testing hydroponic reservoirs?

At this stage I'm considering these from the pHydrion range (no idea how good they are but were dominant in my googles):
    - Hydrion Lo Ion Dispenser 5.0-9.0
    - Hydrion S/R Dispenser 5.0-9.0
    - Hydrion Test Paper pH 5.5-8.0 *it seems at least one version of the 5.5-8 is for urine but not water
    - Hydrion MicroFine Disp. 4.9-6.9

I'm getting a separate general purpose 0-14 one too, but for this thread i'm looking for a more high-resolution (.2 to .5 resolution) one for hydro reservoirs, ~4-9ish
    Last edited by winterbeanie; 02-08-17 at 06:37 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to winterbeanie For This Useful Post:

Dr green fingers (02-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

Why use strip wen you got a ph pen that doesnt make sense to me at all...

You get a better reading from a pen then those shitty strips

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Dazmandaz (02-08-17), Dr green fingers (02-08-17), JB (03-08-17)

MrChedHead Guest

Ph strips are no good, why try an match colours when you can just dip the pen and get a straight out reading 😂

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MrChedHead For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Because I'd like to. Also because I'd like a backup. Also because I'd like something to compare against. Also because it gives a second opinion. Also because it doesn't require constant calibration or chemical storage, and is quick to use. I personally don't need to know my reservoir is at 5.7219535, I just need to know it's between 5.5-6.5
    etc etc..... does it really matter why??? nobody have any experience/suggestions with them?
    Last edited by winterbeanie; 02-08-17 at 07:17 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to winterbeanie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,862 Times

Buy 2 cheap Chinese pens,1 for backup.. Problem is, which one are you gonna believe?. ph strips are too inaccurate.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to B.A.BARACUS For This Useful Post:

Dr green fingers (02-08-17), JB (03-08-17), joker_the_smoker (02-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

Daft idea tbh i calibrate me pen once a week thats it takes 30secs if that. If you want backup buy a 2nd pen lol

My suggestion wud be bin the strips....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

I'd trust a decent pen over strips any day... mainly due to accuracy.

If you do run strips & a pen together to compare, trust the pen (as long as it is accurately calibrated) for the true reading, as you will see variation

Unfortunately, there are no PH test strips that I could really recommend
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (02-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,746 Times

Quote Originally Posted by winterbeanie View Post
    Because I'd like to. Also because I'd like a backup. Also because I'd like something to compare against. Also because it gives a second opinion. Also because it doesn't require constant calibration or chemical storage, and is quick to use. I personally don't need to know my reservoir is at 5.7219535, I just need to know it's between 5.5-6.5
    etc etc..... does it really matter why???
    If you have got hair can you keep it on please 🤔

TT is right strips are crap just ask anybody !!!

Pens are the best option trust me.

I'd rather calibrate mine that takes seconds than get a failed reading of a cheap test strips that you have to wait for about 5 mins to get a reading anyway !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr green fingers For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (02-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,746 Times

Whoops looks like I was late ... tappa didn't load everyone's answers only TT haha !!!

Shut up G

SERIOUSLY tho you asked people a question and they give you there theory from all the experience they have had and that comment seemed like you jumped down there throats abIt !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr green fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr green fingers View Post
    SERIOUSLY tho you asked people a question and they give you there theory from all the experience they have had and that comment seemed like you jumped down there throats abIt !!!
    "Jumped down their throats", complete with smiley face emoji! They didn't jumped down my throat "we'll ignore your question about Strips and just tell you to use your Pen"? *scratches head* Anyway they'll be fine - they got Thanked for not answering my Q!

Nobody has even attempted to answer my question yet, and like I said in my first paragraph I already have a pen, but again it has nothing to do with my question.

So can we please forget about pens - which again I already have - and am already using - for just one thread, and get back to my actual question which is about Strips not Pens?

Q. Which pH test strips are best for our needs? (hydro reservoirs)
    Q. Do i need the Low Ion one for testing a hydro reservoir? (starting with tapwater with EC=~0.0/undetectable on truncheon, but ~1.5-2 after adding nutes)

Thankyou for any help
    Last edited by winterbeanie; 03-08-17 at 04:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast