Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hello Everyone! UK - First Time Grower

Thanks

Default Hello Everyone! UK - First Time Grower

Hey all - I am from the UK and I am new to this forums/website. I've been on here a fair bit but only just deiced to set-up an account.

I have my tent/equipment coming in the next two / three days. But as you most know growing in the UK is illegal. So I am looking for someone to give me answers to my questions...

---------------------------------Hardware / Set-up list---------------------

Mini 8 Reflector - Digilight Ballast - 150W DS & MH Lamps QTY : 1
    Secret Jardin HS40 QTY : 1
    Lumii Lamp Hanging Kit For HID & CMH lamps QTY : 1
    CAN RK 100L - Rhino Hobby 100/300 - Standard Ducting QTY : 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll list my questions below

PLEASE NOTE: I am using this tent 40cm x 40cm x 120cm for ONE PLANT! I just want to grow one plant so remember this when answering questions please.

1. My HID light is 150W DS and MH I use the DS for Veg and MH for Flower correct ?

2. What heat will these bulbs give out ? I am possibly going to be growing outside in a wooden shed will it be at risk of FLIR detection ? (very important question)

3. My carbon filter should be on the inside of the tent at the top with ducting going out the top flap of the tent connecting to the inline fan sucking air out of the tent correct ?

4. How hot will the air be ? When the air is being sucked out, will it be very hot due to the HID bulbs ?

5. Will the carbon filter make sure the air smells nothing like cannabis ?

Thank you all.
    Last edited by Crutch; 04-08-17 at 08:07 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:

BongJovi (06-08-17), GEORGE (05-08-17), JB (04-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,708 Times

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SteceAOC View Post
    Hey all - I am from the UK and I am new to this forums/website. I've been on here a fair bit but only just deiced to set-up an account.

I have my tent/equipment coming in the next two / three days. But as you most know growing in the UK is illegal. So I am looking for someone to give me answers to my questions...

---------------------------------Hardware / Set-up list---------------------

Mini 8 Reflector - Digilight Ballast - 150W DS & MH Lamps QTY : 1
    Secret Jardin HS40 QTY : 1
    Lumii Lamp Hanging Kit For HID & CMH lamps QTY : 1
    CAN RK 100L - Rhino Hobby 100/300 - Standard Ducting QTY : 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll list my questions below

PLEASE NOTE: I am using this tent 40cm x 40cm x 120cm for ONE PLANT! I just want to grow one plant so remember this when answering questions please.

1. My HID light is 150W DS and MH I use the DS for Veg and MH for Flower correct ?

2. What heat will these bulbs give out ? I am possibly going to be growing outside in a wooden shed will it be at risk of FLIR detection ? (very important question)

3. My carbon filter should be on the inside of the tent at the top with ducting going out the top flap of the tent connecting to the inline fan sucking air out of the tent correct ?

4. How hot will the air be ? When the air is being sucked out, will it be very hot due to the HID bulbs ?

5. Will the carbon filter make sure the air smells nothing like cannabis ?

Thank you all.
    1) correct.

As for 2, it's not going to be steaming coming out of the filter vent if that's what you're asking but it would still warm a shed against a background of very cold. I grow inside so don't have the problem but I imagine if you insulate well you'll be fine.
    Tbh you could have a heated shed for growing your veg under lights.

Follow the following rules and whatever else you can sensibly do to protect yourself and you'll be grand.
    No tell
    No smell
    No sell

3) You can run carbon filter either way. More secure in terms of smell leaks to run filter inside at the top with the fan attached pulling the air out but I run my filter outside with the fan reversed so just a bit of ducting pops in at the top of my tent to give me more head height. Get some slight leaks in full flower but fine in my situation.

5) a carbon filter will totally eradicate the smell.
    Last edited by JB; 04-08-17 at 08:16 PM.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JB For This Useful Post:

Dr green fingers (06-08-17), EaZiE (06-08-17), eli toke (05-08-17), Flyingscotsman (08-08-17), GEORGE (05-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,883 Times

Hi mate, welcome along

So, it's a 40x40x120 tent, with a 150w HPS (HPS is also A HID) - that should be fine for one plant

A good carbon filter will clear all growing smells, but you can either suck with it (Inside the tent) or blow through it (outside the tent)

FLIR, on a 150w HID should be pretty negligible (keep an eye out for a member called Viz - he grows in a shed too... with a much bigger light ) FLIR is more geared towards cash croppers using thousands of watts!
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

eli toke (05-08-17), Flyingscotsman (08-08-17), GEORGE (05-08-17), JB (04-08-17)

Thanks

Just looking at the hight of your tent I think you'll need to run the filter outside the tent. 1.2m height is not much to work with.

Lights and filters take room. As do pots. Not much left for plants after that and you need to leave a gap between the light and plant.

Can you not get a taller tent to fit?

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JB For This Useful Post:

EaZiE (06-08-17), eli toke (05-08-17), GEORGE (05-08-17), M_C (04-08-17)

Thanks

Hey man! Thank you for giving me all that information! Such a big help!

One more question though, I am very literal and just want to get this down to a peek (best). With your reply to number three question, Do you propose I setup my tent and put the carbon filter INSIDE the tent at the top and then attach the inline fan directly to the carbon filter WITHOUT ducting connecting them ? And then connect ducting to the other side of the inline fan and run out of the tent ???

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:

eli toke (05-08-17), GEORGE (05-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Just looking at the hight of your tent I think you'll need to run the filter outside the tent. 1.2m height is not much to work with.

Lights and filters take room. As do pots. Not much left for plants after that and you need to leave a gap between the light and plant.

Won't be able to get a taller tent - So can you explain what should be in the tent and what shouldn't ? Very literally for example like I did so before please "Do you propose I setup my tent and put the carbon filter INSIDE the tent at the top and then attach the inline fan directly to the carbon filter WITHOUT ducting connecting them ?"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-08-17), JB (07-08-17)

Thanks

I have my filter set up as follows.

Filter attached to fan in reverse direction so that air is being pushed in to the carbon filter by the fan. I then attach ducting to the fan and have that dangling down through the hole in the top of my tent.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JB For This Useful Post:

eli toke (05-08-17), GEORGE (05-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,883 Times

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

Been there, read the book, got the T shirt

More height is always good... but I reckon he'll be OK with a 150w

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-08-17), JB (07-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

Welcome to the forum

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

Crutch (05-08-17), eli toke (05-08-17), GEORGE (05-08-17)

Hobbit Guest

I agree with JB you shoud have your fan and filte outside. Also MH is for veg and DS for flower.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

eli toke (05-08-17), GEORGE (05-08-17), ggotch (05-08-17)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast