Thread: Commercial Hydroponics - LED Lighting

Thanks

Default Commercial Hydroponics - LED Lighting

Hi,

Whilst I'm new to the community I've been researching Aquaponics & Hydroponics for quite some time.

I am planning to setup a community project with a big focus around the self sufficient growing of veg for the local residents.

From what I read, LED appears to still be some way off in commercial application, although there are some units like the viparspectra that are receiving positive write ups.

The biggest concern I would have with the Vipar would be the number of units that would be required to support a vertically stacked approach from both a total cost and energy perspective.

For example, if I have 5 metres of bench, stacked over 5 levels on top of each other, if the average vipar supports 1 metre of light, I would need 25 lights.

From looking at commercial setups, a lot appear to be using LED strip lights but reviews for everything I've seen todate have been poor.

Additionally, if the average vipar draws 400w, I would need to be producing 10,000w of electricity which likely rules of solar from the project.

Can any recommend any solutions? Please feel free to tell if my logic above is floored.

Thanks Marl.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MarleyMarl For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

British green (06-08-17), GEORGE (15-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Lightyear View Post
    Mmm how many plants are we talking here ? Sounds like a big setup...This site is for personal growers with a strict 10 plant limit..

Regards BL
    No idea yet, it's completely dependent on the setup cost, which in part will be dictated by by the response here. For now let's call it 10.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MarleyMarl For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-08-17)