Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's a Monster!

Thanks

Default It's a Monster!

This year our vegetable garden is doing exceptional. However my pride and joy is our pumpkin plant. The wife brought home the little seedling from the nursery, we planted it and KABOOM! This thing just exploded with growth, big and fast. It is already half the length of my front yard. I have trimmed 15 or so pumpkins of and left 11. I read today I need to pinch the vine tops so they stop growing and all production goes to the pumpkins. This variety is Sweet something as I remember the wife telling me, so I want to say they are sweet treat pumpkins. The larger ones are the size of coconuts and the smallest the size of a tennis ball. Hopefully I will have some nice big ones come October. Also I did not do a good job trellising my tomatoes as you can see they are just a huge congested mess behind the pumpkin plant.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to David Spaid For This Useful Post:

British green (12-08-17), Bud Lightyear (14-08-17), ERBURT (11-08-17), GEORGE (18-08-17), redisiel (11-08-17), Valentina (27-08-17)

Thanks

thats an awsome plant you have there mate plenty of flowers ,you should look up polanating pumkins on you tube usually the bees will do the job but if you dont have bees you will have to do it yourself ,best of luck

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geoff jub For This Useful Post:

David Spaid (13-08-17), GEORGE (18-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geoff jub View Post
    thats an awsome plant you have there mate plenty of flowers ,you should look up polanating pumkins on you tube usually the bees will do the job but if you dont have bees you will have to do it yourself ,best of luck
    Thanks Geoff. The bees did a great job this summer. I was worried if there would be any pumpkins. I cut off 15 the other day and left 11. I have cut at least 20 pumpkins off so far. Tonight I went and chopped every flower I could see, male or female.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to David Spaid For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Spaid View Post
    Thanks Geoff. The bees did a great job this summer. I was worried if there would be any pumpkins. I cut off 15 the other day and left 11. I have cut at least 20 pumpkins off so far. Tonight I went and chopped every flower I could see, male or female.

sounds awsome i had bad luck last year growing pumkins had them in coco garden and they got end rot got 1 pumpkin lol we didnt have any bees to polinate, had to do it by hand so i will give them a miss this season

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geoff jub For This Useful Post:

David Spaid (13-08-17), GEORGE (18-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geoff jub View Post
    sounds awsome i had bad luck last year growing pumkins had them in coco garden and they got end rot got 1 pumpkin lol we didnt have any bees to polinate, had to do it by hand so i will give them a miss this season
    I was worried it might come to hand pollination but I always see bees buzzing around my garden.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David Spaid For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (14-08-17), GEORGE (18-08-17)

Thanks

wow pumpkins galore

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geoff jub For This Useful Post:

David Spaid (14-08-17), GEORGE (18-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

David Spaid (14-08-17), GEORGE (18-08-17), M_C (28-08-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

My wife purchased a pumpkin seedling for me a couple of years back. I don't know why as neither of us like them. I put it in the poly tunnel. I had to kill it in the end as it took over everything. The bloody thing popped up again the following year. Never again.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

David Spaid (14-08-17), GEORGE (18-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Lightyear View Post
    Looks great...Excuse my ignorance but don't you have to put something under them so they don't go rotten on the ground ?

Regards BL
    I have heard of pitting something underneath. As well as rotating the pumpkin so it gets a good round shape. I really need to do more research, lol.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Spaid For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-08-17)

Thanks

Pumpkin update. I included a lighter this time for reference. I topped the vines and the vine growth has stopped. I plucked off flowers as I saw them last week, now there does not seem be any more flower production. The last photo are my Serrano peppers. What do you think of those little spicy peps Mr. Lightyear?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Spaid For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-08-17), ggotch (17-08-17)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast