Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a quiet fan. $600 budge. VK sounds like an aeroplane engine. Any advice?

Thanks

Default Looking for a quiet fan. $600 budge. VK sounds like an aeroplane engine. Any advice?

First post, looking for some advice on a silent fan.

My grow setup is in my spare room/office. I'm currently using a VK fan, but it's a problem because it sounds like an aeroplane engine. It concerns me because it's loud, and I'm worried the neighbours will pick up on it. I have the ducting going through the ceiling and into the attic. When I go outside at 2am, I can hear the wooshing sound. It's not overly loud but a good ear will hear it.

I've searched high and low for a quiet fan but they don't seem to exist.

My tent size is 2m x 2m. I'm using a 1000watt HPS. I've tried a smaller fan, and while they are quieter the heat in the tent rises.

Does anyone have any ideas on a quiet fan, or severely reducing the noise? I have about $500 to spend on a fan if one exists. My only other option would be to get 2 smaller tents, and 2 smaller fans but I'm not sure if that would help. I don't want to spend this cash for it to be a waste of time.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smokeful For This Useful Post:

Buster (15-08-17), Devoed (03-09-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Hi mate

A variac also helps with noise as you don't need to have the fan on at 100% speed. Placing your fan inside a padded box along with acoustic ducting also helps reduce noise.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

Buster (15-08-17), EaZiE (14-08-17), Oxy (14-08-17), Smokeful (14-08-17)

Thanks

Hey fellow Aspie Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at a variac. Are there any guides on creating a padded box?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smokeful For This Useful Post:

Buster (15-08-17), Oxy (14-08-17)

Bulls Guest

What Aspire said. Acoustic ducting helps big time. Alsl try and avoid bends in the ducting. Whoosh effect can be avoided by using a silencer at the end of the ducting.
    Controller is a must when using big fans in my honest opinion.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bulls For This Useful Post:

Buster (15-08-17), Oxy (14-08-17), Smokeful (14-08-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeful View Post
    Hey fellow Aspie Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at a variac. Are there any guides on creating a padded box?
    Hi mate,

I filled mine up with pieces of foam from a mattress. Some people use expanding foam. If you use the latter method then first cover your fan in clingfilm (to stop the foam entering the fan) and create some holes into the box, otherwise the foam will expand and the box can come apart.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

Buster (15-08-17), Oxy (14-08-17), Smokeful (14-08-17)

Bulls Guest

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bulls For This Useful Post:

Buster (15-08-17), EaZiE (14-08-17), Smokeful (14-08-17)

Thanks

I really appreciate the useful information, thanks to all

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smokeful For This Useful Post:

Buster (15-08-17), Dazmandaz (14-08-17), Oxy (14-08-17)

Thanks

Any recommendations on fan controllers? Variac controllers are all > $150 where I'm looking. Any good models others can recommend?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smokeful For This Useful Post:

Buster (15-08-17), Oxy (14-08-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeful View Post
    Any recommendations on fan controllers? Variac controllers are all > $150 where I'm looking. Any good models others can recommend?
    This is the one I purchased, mate... e.bay 130591386004
    No buzzing.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

Buster (15-08-17), Smokeful (14-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Aspie Toker View Post
    This is the one I purchased, mate... e.bay 130591386004
    No buzzing.
    How do I find that item? I tried searching by item number but no results. Thanks buddy.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smokeful For This Useful Post:

Buster (15-08-17)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast