Thread: Microbe random info

Hobbit Guest

Default Microbe random info

Allright thought id start a thread dedicated to microbes, doesn't have to be anything in order just if you find anything interesting bang it here. Might help clear my desk top. I will get it started with this.

This was the response from a dutch company that markets as Rootgrow.

A couple of us wrote to Rootgrow and got this helpful reply today...

Dear Ian and Alan,

You both enquired about rootgrow and Trichoderma on the same day, which was very unusual for us so i hope you don't mind me combining your email response.

rootgrow contains UK origin mycorrhizal fungi, a combination of arbsucular mycorrhizal fungi and ectomycorrhizal fungi, it does not contain Trichoderma.

It is likely the two products are compatible, however i need to clarify that point.

With a Trichoderma product it maybe easier to think of it as a foliar fungicide, i.e. you spray it onto leaves and the soil surface.

Trichoderma is a myco-parasite, a parasite of fungi and has been known to help control damping off or pythium in seedlings and botrytis (Gray Mould) in some crops.

Mycorrhizal fungi exhibit a symbiotic relationship with their host plant, they exist attached to plant roots living underground where they source water and nutrients and feed them to the host plant.

As a rule of thumb, use Mycorrhiza when planting into soil on the plant roots on mature plants that have left propagation, use Trichoderma in container growing, including seed growing and propagation of young plants. You can try introducing Mycorrhiza in propagation but due to artificial substrates and restricted root development the benefits are usually small, mycorrhiza really benefit plants when planted into soil.

If you were to inoculate young plants with mycorrhiza and then do a deep soil drench of Trichoderma (not just a light foliar spray but soaking the compost, which would be very expensive) then there maybe some antagonism between Trichoderma and mycorrhiza i.e. the Trichoderma would start feeding off the Mycorrhiza.

I do know of some Dutch scientists that have however found no antagonism, in fact the two organisms work well together, that may have been down to a unique strain of Trichoderma. It is here that we are right on the edge of science and what we know, it will probably be a decade or so before we understand these interactions better. As far as I recall on my studies on Trichoderma we hadn't even properly identified Trichoderma to the Species level, they were known as Species Aggregates.

If you wish to try using the products in conjunction please follow the above advice, there should be no detrimental effects to the plants as the likely negative outcome would be the Trichoderma just consumes the Mycorrhiza, however initially and from a common sense point of view try it on a small number of low value plants and see how you get on.

Regards

Mark

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

Bluberry Blunt (05-10-17), ggotch (16-08-17), M_C (17-08-17), redisiel (17-08-17), SpliffMiester (16-08-17), Trex (17-08-17)

Hobbit Guest

Here are the findings of a couple of independent studies I found as well. Both of these strains are found in GWS.

Trichoderma harzianum KUEN 1585 (commercial product, SimĀ®Derma) was tested to determine its effect on the mycelial growth of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. cepae (FOC) in dual culture and its control of basal rot disease in pot- and field-grown onion sets. The abilities of T. harzianum to induce the production of antifungal compounds in sets and to increase onion set diameter were also studied. In pot experiments, where the soil was inoculated with a pathogenic isolate of FOC, seeds were coated with T. harzianum at the dosage of 10 g kg−1 seed. In field experiments, seeds coated with T. harzianum were sown in soil naturally infested with the pathogen. T. harzianum inhibited mycelial growth of the pathogen in vitro. Seed treatment with T. harzianum decreased disease incidence comparable to the imidazole fungicide, prochloraz in both pot and field experiments. It also enhanced bulb diameter of sets, especially in the pot experiment. Extracts from onion sets grown from treated seeds under both conditions were fractionated by thin-layer chromatography for their antifungal compounds. Most of the fractions obtained from the sets of T. harzianum-treated seeds showed high antifungal activity against the pathogen. This study suggests the possible role of T. harzianum in the induction of antifungal compounds against F. oxysporum f. sp. cepae in onion sets.

Amendment of soil with Trichoderma koningii strain Tr5 grown on autoclaved white millet grain provided between 63 and 79% control of white rot of onion when added to soil containing 10, 25, 50, or 100 sclerotia of Sclerotium cepivorum per kilogram of soil at the time of onion seed sowing. There was no significant difference in the proportion of S. cepivorum infections suppressed among the different sclerotial density treatments. Rhizosphere colonization by T. koningii Tr5 was assessed by incubating onion roots sampled from plants growing in soil with the appropriate density of sclerotia, on a Trichoderma selective medium (Rose bengall-Allisan-streptomycin-Previcur agar) developed for the purpose of the study. Trichoderma spp. isolated were typed by comparison of culture morphology as well as polygalacturonase (PG) (EC 3.2.1.15) and pectinesterase (PE) (EC 3.1.1.11) isozyme profiles to the series of one PG and two PE isozymes known to be produced by T. koningii Tr5. The method was used successfully to assess rhizosphere colonization. Three rates of a millet grain formulation colonized by T. koningii Tr5 were added to soil (1,590, 3,180, and 4,770 kg/ha). At the lowest of these rates, 97% of roots were found to be colonized by isolates which could not be distinguished from T. koningii Tr5, whereas 8% of the roots from nontreated controls were colonized by such isolates. An objective of the study was to determine whether the ability of T. koningii Tr5 to suppress S. cepivorum infections was influenced by increased concentrations of both S. cepivorum sclerotia and T. koningii Tr5-colonized millet grain, and it was found that no further improvements in the percentage of disease suppression were recorded as a result of adding T. koningii Tr5-colonized millet to the soil at more than 1,590 kg/ha at any of the sclerotium concentrations tested.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

ggotch (16-08-17), Trex (17-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Hey H, there's been some shocking results concerning some of the microbial products in test studies with more than half of them contains more than half the specified amounts or none at all, I'm just gathering the info mate and I'll share it here,
    Great thread mate, might need to get the microscope a bit early I think,
    Blessings and gratitude
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

gethighper (12-11-17), ggotch (17-08-17), Trex (17-08-17)

Hobbit Guest

God yeah mate I need one as well. Yeah mate what I put here isnt supposed to be gospel mate its just one place where we can share and discuss mate. I got plenty more but want to see others posting as well.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

ggotch (17-08-17), redisiel (17-08-17), Trex (17-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,849 Times

good thread hobbit

im interested in this as well but it gets a little too much for my shrivelled brain so ill watch and wait for the summary lol.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ggotch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Nice little piece Hobbit .

My organic diary
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=158556

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Hobbit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ggotch View Post
    good thread hobbit

im interested in this as well but it gets a little too much for my shrivelled brain so ill watch and wait for the summary lol.
    hahaa Gotch mate i doubt there ever will be a summary, more like trial and error. Your in the right spot though mate as blokes like myself Trex and Redz are not afraid to get a bad result for the sake of a bit of testing lol.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

ggotch (18-08-17), Trex (18-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,849 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    hahaa Gotch mate i doubt there ever will be a summary, more like trial and error. Your in the right spot though mate as blokes like myself Trex and Redz are not afraid to get a bad result for the sake of a bit of testing lol.
    ill be quietly standing at the back holding my new fire extinguisher

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggotch For This Useful Post:

Trex (18-08-17)

Hobbit Guest

Hahaha crack me up Gotch, we will need your humour mate as this subject can do your head in. You can supply the comedy relief mate.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

ggotch (18-08-17), Trex (18-08-17)