Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clueless On Electrics

Hobbit Guest

Default Clueless On Electrics

Gday all. at the moment i have one of those 4 point boxes like you use on building sites with its own trip switch. That runs from a power lead back to the power outlet. I run my light up to 600w my hailea air pump, my pedestal, my dehumidifier my extraction fan (haha the 600 watt one Trex). That means im now piggy backed up in one of the 4 outlets. Firstly is what im doing safe, I want a couple more outlets. I was thinking to run another extension cable in and and have 2 x 6 outlet power packs mounted on a board. is this safe. Later i want to run a dyson cool/warm fan that can use up to 2000watt in as well as a dehumidifier. I dont own the house so i cant do anything drastic.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (18-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

It's safe as long as your not overloading the extension cable/four way socket and also not overloading the circuit the extension is plugged into.

Sent from a green pleasant land

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

David Spaid (18-08-17), joker_the_smoker (18-08-17)

Hobbit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by British green View Post
    It's safe as long as your not overloading the extension cable/four way socket and also not overloading the circuit the extension is plugged into.

Cheers BG.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

British green (18-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Remember that most extension leads aren't rated past 13 amps and you can work out amps by using ohms law . Which is watts divided by volts

8. The Following User Says Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (18-08-17)

Hobbit Guest

So I should work out the amps of all my equipment and be sure that the leads are rated for the job?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

Trex (18-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Ohh remember Hobbit , on equipement start up such as pumps ,lights etc , it will make amps spike 30%

600w is approx 6amps

My organic diary
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=158556

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Your cords are all fine. The question is if your amp demand is larger than breaker supplying your 4 point box, I'm not sure what a four point box is. You total amp demand is you total watts devided by you voltage. So you can run your 600w fan and 600v light on 120v supply and it will ask for 10 ampsjuat for those 2. If you run 240v than 5 amps. So you could run that one more thing like an air pump or something below 5 amps. A normal cut here in Canada is 15 amps. I am an electrician here in canada

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Spaid For This Useful Post:

Trex (18-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Quote Originally Posted by David Spaid View Post
    Your cords are all fine. The question is if your amp demand is larger than breaker supplying your 4 point box, I'm not sure what a four point box is. You total amp demand is you total watts devided by you voltage. So you can 600w fan and 600v light on 120v supply will ask for 10 amps. So you could run that one more thing like an air pump or something below 5 amps. A normal cut here in Canada is 15 amps. I am an electrician here in canada
    Holy fuck a Canuck , i think me and you are the only ones man

My organic diary

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

David Spaid (18-08-17)

Hobbit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David Spaid View Post
    Your cords are all fine. The question is if your amp demand is larger than breaker supplying your 4 point box, I'm not sure what a four point box is. You total amp demand is you total watts devided by you voltage. So you can run your 600w fan and 600v light on 120v supply and it will ask for 10 ampsjuat for those 2. If you run 240v than 5 amps. So you could run that one more thing like an air pump or something below 5 amps. A normal cut here in Canada is 15 amps. I am an electrician here in canada
    Cheers mate , we run on 240 here. the box is just a box with 4 outlets.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

British green (18-08-17), Trex (18-08-17)

Hobbit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Ohh remember Hobbit , on equipement start up such as pumps ,lights etc , it will make amps spike 30%

600w is approx 6amps

Nice one mate.

My organic diary
    Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Holy fuck a Canuck , i think me and you are the only ones man

My organic diary
    Haha all the Aussies get banned quik smart lol.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

Trex (18-08-17)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast