Thread: CFLs V HPS

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,776 Times

Default CFLs V HPS

Many questions get asked about how these two lights differ.

Lets use their names as a starting point:-

CFL - Compact Fluorescent Light - these belong to the same family as Flouresecent strip lights, but they produce more light. A lot more light!

HPS - High Pressure Sodium - Part of the HID (High Intensity Discharge) lighting range, more commonly associated with flood lights.
    ---------

Which is best for me to grow with? & why?

A CFL will merrily veg a photo period plant, this can also keep the costs down, as a lower wattage light can be used, although growth will be slower. But when it comes to flowering, CFL just doesn't have the 'kick' required, often leaving airy buds & disappointing yields.

HPS, you certainly can veg under HPS (MH is better, but that's a different story altogether!), but a Dual Spectrum HPS is better than a 'pure' HPS for this. Flowering? IMHO, nothing can touch HPS as it can give penetration of the canopy like no other light source can.

Costs

Some people think that CFL is cheaper to run than HPS, & they may be correct - to a point! A 250w CFL uses the same power as a 250w HPS (OK, the ballasts may have a little overheads... add 10% for both light sources for expediency)

So, a 250w CFL is going to be cheaper to run than a 1,000w HPS (as there are less watts used) but 4x 250w CFLs will cost the same to run as a 1,000 watt HPS

A watt is a watt, regardless of the light source technology...!

Heat

Yeah, a HPS is going to generate more heat than a CFL due to the CFL using more of the power rather than discarding it as heat...

Set Up Cost

CFL's, especially as an array of smaller ones will cost less than an equivalent HPS & ballast, but IMHO, you get what you pay for....

Some facts & figures

My 250w Sunmaster Dual Spectrum bulb produces around 33,000 lumen

The average CFL 250w bulb produces about 12,500 lumen

To get the same lumens as my 250w HPS you would need nearly 3 250w CFLs

My 250w HPS produces around 132 Lumen per what, an average CFL, around 50 lumen per watt

So, which do I choose and why?

CFL's have their uses in small spaces, where height and heat is a problem. CFLs can get ver close to the plant without burning her

HPS is king in all other setups...

Yeild

HPS growers are always chasing 1g/w. With a well vegged photo period plant, this is more than possible!

CFL growers should chase about half of the above (say, 0.5g/w)

Whilst that cover the basics, anything else that you would like to know, just ask below
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Admiral (20-08-17), Bud Lightyear (20-08-17), Dazmandaz (20-08-17), EaZiE (20-08-17), eightleggeddj (24-08-17), Emington (26-09-17), joker_the_smoker (26-09-17), Karsa (26-09-17), MR B-loom (21-08-17), redisiel (26-09-17), THC Prince (01-11-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Many questions get asked about how these two lights differ.

Lets use their names as a starting point:-

CFL - Compact Fluorescent Light - these belong to the same family as Flouresecent strip lights, but they produce more light. A lot more light!

HPS - High Pressure Sodium - Part of the HID (High Intensity Discharge) lighting range, more commonly associated with flood lights.
    ---------

Which is best for me to grow with? & why?

A CFL will merrily veg a photo period plant, this can also keep the costs down, as a lower wattage light can be used, although growth will be slower. But when it comes to flowering, CFL just doesn't have the 'kick' required, often leaving airy buds & disappointing yields.

HPS, you certainly can veg under HPS (MH is better, but that's a different story altogether!), but a Dual Spectrum HPS is better than a 'pure' HPS for this. Flowering? IMHO, nothing can touch HPS as it can give penetration of the canopy like no other light source can.

Costs

Some people think that CFL is cheaper to run than HPS, & they may be correct - to a point! A 250w CFL uses the same power as a 250w HPS (OK, the ballasts may have a little overheads... add 10% for both light sources for expediency)

So, a 250w CFL is going to be cheaper to run than a 1,000w HPS (as there are less watts used) but 4x 250w CFLs will cost the same to run as a 1,000 watt HPS

A watt is a watt, regardless of the light source technology...!

Heat

Yeah, a HPS is going to generate more heat than a CFL due to the CFL using more of the power rather than discarding it as heat...

Set Up Cost

CFL's, especially as an array of smaller ones will cost less than an equivalent HPS & ballast, but IMHO, you get what you pay for....

Some facts & figures

My 250w Sunmaster Dual Spectrum bulb produces around 33,000 lumen

The average CFL 250w bulb produces about 12,500 lumen

To get the same lumens as my 250w HPS you would need nearly 3 250w CFLs

My 250w HPS produces around 132 Lumen per what, an average CFL, around 50 lumen per watt

So, which do I choose and why?

CFL's have their uses in small spaces, where height and heat is a problem. CFLs can get ver close to the plant without burning her

HPS is king in all other setups...

Yeild

HPS growers are always chasing 1g/w. With a well vegged photo period plant, this is more than possible!

CFL growers should chase about half of the above (say, 0.5g/w)

Whilst that cover the basics, anything else that you would like to know, just ask below
    Thanks for this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Emington For This Useful Post:

M_C (26-09-17)